Grand Turk on the Crown = easy and cheap

Host Caroline

Since you only have 6 hours in Grand Turk on the Crown and there's another ship in before you get there, if you want an "almost freebie" afternoon with no hassle.... .just an idea here

We were at Grand Turk in 4/05 just before the Cruise Center officially opened and there was practically nothing at the Cruise Center -- in fact Margaritaville didn't even have set ups etc. on the top level. We were there two weeks ago on the Crown and wow! What a difference… no sign here of Hurr. Ike's damage! The new Cruise Center has lots of shops (local and "well known" such as Ron Jon's Surf Shop, Margaritaville, usual jewelry etc.). The "main shop" that you pass through going from pier to cruise center has some good prices on liquor BTW - Sheridans was $3 less than we paid in St Thomas and rum was less as well.

We got off the ship about 1:15 after the first crush of people and turned right in the cruise center towards the "point" on the the island (going down the beach the opposite direction from the crowded Margaritaville beach). It is a fabulous beach for a walk, beachcombing, sunbathing. There are no chairs but by the time we came back around the point from our stroll there were quite a few people there, some snorkeling off the beach. Go around the point and the water is even more gorgeous if that's possible. This beach is laden with conch shells, many intact. Bad thing is the folks at Grand Turk don't care if you take no more than 3 off the island with you but the ship folks will confiscate 'em if they find them due they said to bacteria and insects lurking in the shells. I'm not sure what the ship guys do if you buy the shells cleaned up in the shops -- maybe they allow those since they have been "sanitized."

Anyway, by the time we got back to Margaritaville area around 3:30 the beach chairs there had cleared out some and we were able to find two chairs under a palm tree.. Went into the Margaritaville patio to the "mini bar", got two divine frozen (and strong) margaritas and then just asked a waitress if we could get an order of fries… she took $5 and was back in about 2 minutes with a take out of really hot, delicious fries… we spent the next hour just doing nothing under the palm tree with a lovely view of the two ships and beach… the Margaritaville music was just the right volume to feel like you were truly wasting away on Margaritaville:)… just an idea if you don't want to spend a lot, fight for a beach chair early and want to get a little exercise to walk off all the "Stuff" you've been eating on the ship! ;) Oh, and by then there was plenty of room to snorkel etc. right off that beach.. the real crowds were gone and since the Costa ship leaves at 6, it really emptied out by 4:30!

We did the beach walk a few weeks ago in Grand Turk and it took almost half an hour to get to an area where we wanted to snorkel, (hard to walk in the sand, I found). The shells were all over and I wanted to take one also, but assumed we would not be allowed to bring one on the ship. Not only that, there are little critters living in those shells....things I didn't want in my cabin !! In addition to the shells, there is lots of trash, which kind of ruins the beach, but the snorkeling was good.

Sounds wonderful, we will be in about three weeks. I looked on line and the Crown will be the only ship there when we are there. My friend and I are going to just relax under a tree and watch the water, maybe shop a little, something for her husband and maybe something for my grandkids and sons.

Wow! Beth.. you and I have the same camera! :)

There was some litter on the beach 2 weeks ago but not excessive... the conch shells they sell in the shops might be allowed on the ship.. I would check. We did bring two tiny ones home:eek: .. someone "forgot" they were in the pocket. ::bad bad person::

The beach is maybe 5 minutes from the dock.. literally.. you just walk past security through this big shop, out into the main "courtyard" of the cruise center, past Ron Jon's and you are there!

If we were only ship there I might try to get a palm tree chair on the Margaritaville side right away but it was hopeless when we arrived.. that beach is lovely as well.

Archived