Illusory Discounts?

cruiseyguy

Seabourn is advertising discounts up to 60%-65% on certain European sailings and even the WSJ had an article about these today. Yet, when going to the Seabourn website page where these "specials" are supposedly listed, there are none at 60-65%. All are in the 45-57% range. What gives?

1. its the mainstream media

2. cruises/tours/etc have "brochure" (rack) fares that might occasionally be used, but are more a marketing thing to constantly be advertising "discounts"

with that said, there has been discounting going on. occasionally they arent published, and might be sent to travel agents to let them know. or commissions go up and travel agents can pass it on.

Cruiseguy, Where in today's WSJ did you seen that article?

Here is the full text of what was in the Wall Street Journal yesterday with its headline, etc.:

"Wall St. Journal: FEBRUARY 24, 2009/TRAVEL WATCH

Discounts on Mediterranean Cruise

By SARAH NASSAUER

The Yachts of Seabourn, a luxury cruise line, announced it is reducing fares on European cruises in 2009 by as much as 65%. Discounted fares start at $2,999 per person for a seven-day Mediterranean voyage, based on double occupancy. The discounted fares apply to 49 voyages that range from seven to 16 days, departing between June 13 and Oct. 24. The percentage of savings varies by suite category, departure date, and length of voyage. For reservations, call 1-800-929-9391 or visit www.seabourn.com."

I called last week and they had some good discounts on more popular sailings in the Med. for double occupancy this summer, but, we needed two singles. The discounts are not as "flexible" in that case and there were major limits on how good things can go for singles.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The discounts are not as "flexible" in that case and there were major limits on how good things can go for singles.

Yes...<sigh>...such is the case for single cruisers on most lines, and on SB, as well. I was particularly shocked when, after my first SB cruise, I learned (the hard way) that Club Signature Value savings did not apply to singles, while I was on the phone with a reservationist at the home office! Of course, it's in the fine print, but...still.... :o (And, no, I didn't go ahead with the booking!)

That discount alone could make a huge difference for me, particularly now....

Paul

Until a couple of years ago, Seabourn was very singles-friendly. All of my Seabourn cruises, one was 28 days, were at the 110% rate. That rate was eliminated and only 125%, 150% and 175% were available. Now it seems to be mostly 150% or higher. I'm not sure of the reason for the change (other than greed) since singles seem to be a positive element in the Seabourn social mix. Ironically, several lines that were singles-unfriendly are now offering attractive singles rates. Oceania, which formerly only had 100% single supplements, now has single rates of 125% on many cruises in addition to other discounts. I recently received a brochure from Oceania devoted only to singles rates on various cruises.

Cruiserguy,

I agee that there is a little bit of smoke and mirros here -- but as I poorly explained in my earlier post you have to dig to find the savings on their website by type of suite. For instance -- go to the home page and click onto special offers. Now as an example, go to the July 18 Scandanavian cruise -- from there click cruise fares. You can now see how the discount varies by the type of suite you select. If in fact you select the $19,300 balcony suite the current fares is $6,849 or 64.5% discount. As I said, they do not make it easy. And, BTW, when we booked this cruise recently at this level of discount we were able to apply our onboard booking 5% discount to the redueced fare.

Archived