Controversy over Dali @ Park West!

Last weekend, it was reported that Park West has stopped selling Dali prints on all cruise ships after a lawsuit filed in Detroit's Oakland County by 10 art collectors alleged Park West Sold them nearly $600,000 in artworks containing fake signature, including those of Dali.

Why anyone would risk buying anything like this from an unknown entity is beyond me. Anyone with half a brain would know that Park West has the worst reputation and is being sued all over the world. All they have to do is Google....

Here's a good one:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_cruise_art_auctions_scam_fraud.htm

G'ma, that is probably a bit harsh. Many especially first time cruisers, get caught up in the moment of the art auction. That is one reason they are such a deal for PW. I have never googled them, but always figured the cost was not such a great deal. Never saw the need to spend so much on art, most of which would not fit as well in my living quarters, DW on the other hand may have found art she liked.

I do agree that those going to sail to get art, or who plan to go to the auction should check out the company conducting the auction as well as get pricing info on the art they are thinking they may want. That way they can be educated buyers.

It can be fun to watch some of the auction but on most RCCL ships there is always something exciting to do so I am never stuck going to the auction.

Why anyone would risk buying anything like this from an unknown entity is beyond me. Anyone with half a brain would know that Park West has the worst reputation and is being sued all over the world. All they have to do is Google....

Here's a good one:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_cruise_art_auctions_scam_fraud.htm

Completely agree with you!

Kudos to Park West for pulling the plug on those sales.

Every day I enjoy the Park West art we purchased on previous cruises. We didn't buy the art for investment; we bought the art because we liked it while getting a good price. Our art was shipped professionally and in a timely fashion.

As with anything, let the buyer beware but we've had a positive experience with Park West. :)

I've never attended a PW auction onboard. I hate the thought of paying for shipping etc, plus I've not seen anything I care for in their displays. Like other folks on here - too many other things to do. One of my friends who is a major cruise junkie - loves the auctions. She cruises on another line and sounds just like the PW auctions - so I guess they are not just on RCCL.

DH and I did attend their auctions many years ago and have bought a number of pieces for enjoyment.

Archived