Water taxi to Pinel Island from the pier?

mosaicgirl7

We will be in St. Maarten on March 11 and I wanted to take the six of us to Pinel after having read all about it on the boards and on traveladvisor.com. I was wondering if there is a faster way to get there directly from the pier other than pay $7 pp by taxi and then take a water taxi. Does anyone know if there are any water taxis or charters that can take us directly from the pier?

If you're docked at Philipsburg, no. A boat of any kind would have to go all the way around the island to the other side. That would be a very long boat ride (hours). There is no faster way than taking a taxi over to the Pinel ferry dock and taking the ferry to Pinel.

Taxis drive across the island in 20-25 minutes or so. The little ferry to Pinel takes about 10 or 15 minutes (I think). There is public transit, but I don't know if it goes to the Pinel ferry dock. It certainly wouldn't be less time-consuming than taking a taxi. Also, you don't have to take the water taxi from the pier to Front St. and pick up a taxi there. You can get a taxi right at the pier and go directly to the Pinel ferry dock.

The water taxi from the pier only goes around the harbor there with two stops besides the cruise pier.

beachchick

beachchick or anyone else, are there any advantages of renting a car instead of taking a taxi out to Pinel Island. The only thing I can think of is getting to see a little more of the island with a rental, and knowing your ride is there when getting off the ferry when returning. Cost wise it looks about the same. I'm leaning towards a taxi because that seems like less of a hassle.

beachchick or anyone else, are there any advantages of renting a car instead of taking a taxi out to Pinel Island. The only thing I can think of is getting to see a little more of the island with a rental, and knowing your ride is there when getting off the ferry when returning. Cost wise it looks about the same. I'm leaning towards a taxi because that seems like less of a hassle.

Why take any risk driving in an unfamiliar place, especially if there is no cost benefit? I would suggest using a taxi. They are extremely well organized in St Mararten, carry insurance and have published rates. If you want to see a little more of the island, just add that to your discussion with the taxi captain/dispatcher.

I can think of one good reason for a cruiser to use a taxi instead of renting a car. Couple years ago while on a land vacation, we drove our rental to the Pinel docks and parked in the second row. Went out on the first ferry and enjoyed the day. We left the island in the afternoon while there were still lots of people on the island. At the parking lot we discovered we were parked in by a third row of vehicles. That's right, they just pulled up to the bumpers of the cars in the second row, locked them up and went on the ferry. The vehicle behind us was a jeep and with the help of others, we were able to get into it and somehow force it out of gear. We pushed it into the drive and left it there. If we had been cruisers with a short deadline to return to the ship, this could have been a real problem.

We just got back in January. I love absolutely loved Pinel island. We took a taxi to the Culdesac about $30 from Philipsburg. You need to make arrangements for the taxi driver to come back to get you. No taxi stands there. It took about 30 minutes from the cruise docks to get there.

Once there you take a water taxi-ferry for $7 round trip. They only run on the hour from 10 to 4. 15 minutes to Pinel on Ferry.

Once there just plop your stuff on the sand. Beach chairs are 2 for 20. We bought them but next time I would not. At the most there was 30 people on island the whole day.

Two resturants are on the island but if you want to eat good food nice and cheap at the culde sac there is a nice little food stand with beer soda and food. The three of us ate and drank for $15 USD

Snorkling, swimming there was beautiful.

No one lives on island and there are no road just foot paths. We walked all over and just could not believe how beautiful and totally undeveloped this island is and I hope will remian.

There is a gift shop of sorts. King Tom has items for sale hanging from the trees. Birds in trees hanging in an out of the wind chimes.

I can't even begin to explain the beauty of this island. I am so glad we went island hopping. Would love to hear if you went.

Does anyone know how much a cab ride to the water taxi would be from the port? Also how much is the water taxi and how long she we allow to visit and relax some on Pinel Island.

Thanks

Once there you take a water taxi-ferry for $7 round trip. They only run on the hour from 10 to 4. 15 minutes to Pinel on Ferry.

If they run every hour and our ship docks at 10, looks like we'll have to hustle to get out there for the 11am ferry.

Does anyone know how much a cab ride to the water taxi would be from the port? Also how much is the water taxi and how long she we allow to visit and relax some on Pinel Island.

The second post in this thread has a picture of the taxi rates to Pinel Island.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911711

How is the snorkeling at Pinel? We are going April 12 (on the Summit) and may want to share a taxi instead of renting a car that day.

We are on the Summit too and want to go to Pinel Island. How far is the ferry from the pier?

Archived