Has anyone ever stayed in Texas City or La Marque?

sydney dog

I've lived in the Gulf Coast area for 30 years. If it were me, I would just stay in Galveston. There are so many hotels and surely you can find one to fit your budget. I would say there is not much to do or see in Texas City or LaMarque. Actually Host Kat from this thread lives in LaMarque. If you're going to stay away from Galveston I would stay in Clear Lake/Webster area. At least you could go to NASA or Kemah and there are a lot of places to shop. Of course, that's just my opinion for what it's worth! ;)

... I would say there is not much to do or see in Texas City or LaMarque. Actually Host Kat from this thread lives in LaMarque...

Yep, about all we have to offer is greyhound racing and shopping. Ike wiped out the Texas City Dike.

Race Track:

http://www.gulfgreyhound.com/

Shopping:

http://www.mallofthemainland.com/

http://www.gulfwayplaza.com/index.html

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I lived in Texas City last year (for only a year) and I can safely say there isn't much to do there. There is the dog race track, a Walmart, couple hotels, a couple fast food places, a Ryans buffet and an IHOP. That's about it.

It's a good 30 minutes to the cruise terminal, I'd recommend staying in Galveston where there's a lot more to do and several hotels have shuttles to the cruise terminals.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone ever stayed in Texas City or La Marque?

Anything to do in those cities?

Any hotels with shuttles to terminal?

If I have to take a cab to port do you think it would just be cheaper to stay in Galveston?

Thanks!!!

We stayed in Texas City last year in April when we cruised out of Galveston but I can't remember the name of the placed we stayed. The places in Galv. were just so expensive. We saved a lot of money but we didn't do anything after we got there because we were so tired we just wanted to eat and rest. We are not young & energetic. :o

Hope you have a great cruise no matter where you stay before you go.

I think this all depends on what you are looking for.

There is very (VERY!) little in those two towns as far as entertainment is concerned, so I wouldn't stay there if you are looking at it as a pre-cruise or post-cruise stop.

However, if you are intending to fly into Houston late and just need a place to rest your head so you can wake up the next morning and be close to Galveston, then it's probably just fine.

I would recommend that any hotel location you pick be located on Interstate 10 as any place off the freeway is likely to be something you might see in the movie Vacancy. (Kidding......kind of.) There are only two quality hotels that come to mind when I think of that area- the Super 8 and the Holiday Inn Express & Suites.

I've never stayed at the Super 8, but it's an older property. I'd go with the Holiday Inn.

You can find it here: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/glstc?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/ex/1/en/mapsearchresults&ias=y

• 2 weeks later...

I've also lived in Galveston County for most of my life and agree with many of the poster here. It all depends on how much time you have before your cruise, what type of transportation you have and when you're sailing.

Example 1 - If you're sailing during the summer then many of the Galveston hotels in the prime tourist areas will not accept a one night reservation or will be very expensive. During the winter or off season this is not the case. In the prime tourist areas many things are within walking distance or connected by the trolley.

Example 2 - If you're just looking for someplace to sleep and eat on the Saturday night before your cruise then staying in LaMarque can save you money during the summer and transportation to Galveston should not be that much.

Example 3 - If you choose a lower cost hotel in the Nasa / Clear Lake / Kemah area, there are plenty of good restaurants, bars and tourist things but you'll need transportation. For the most part, these things are spread over several miles and public transportation is non existent.

Archived