Tubing - How fit Do You Need To Be?

Kenato

:confused: Hi, We are traveling on a Hal cruise in April/May and are looking at the Tubing Excursions they offer. We are in our mid-sixties and fairly active with no major health problems. Would we be OK on these tubing excursions or are they only for the young and very fit? If OK, anyone recommend which HAL one we should take or should we look to one of those offered privately on the island. Any feedback will be appreciated, Thanks, Ken

:confused: Hi, We are traveling on a Hal cruise in April/May and are looking at the Tubing Excursions they offer. We are in our mid-sixties and fairly active with no major health problems. Would we be OK on these tubing excursions or are they only for the young and very fit? If OK, anyone recommend which HAL one we should take or should we look to one of those offered privately on the island. Any feedback will be appreciated, Thanks, Ken

I've been researching the river tubing quite a lot lately because we're doing this in Grenada next week. I believe the tubing in Dominica and Grenada is very similiar. To get a feel for what its like you can go to youtube.com and type in Grenada river tubing. There is a short video on there that shows it pretty well. I'm traveling with a 13 yo DD and a 66 yo DH so I wanted to make sure it wasn't too strenuous either.

I believe the tubing is done on the same river, but starting at too different spots. The lower point is usually Wacky Rollers which can only be booked through your ship excursion desk. From what I've read, the lower area is calmer. I may be wrong though so hopefully someone else can chime in here.

I have done this tour twice, I loved it so much!! Both times, I did the Layou Gorge excursion through HAL. I don't usually do ship excursions, but for the small price difference, I was more comfortable going with HAL here. As someone said, I believe it is Wacky Rollers who do the tour.

The first time I did it was in November 2007 and thought it was amazing! I am early 50s, not the least bit fit :o, but love a little adventure. There is nothing strenuous about it... you just sit in the tube and the river does the work! At one point, my tube was deflating (I'm not overweight, so it wasn't me!), and I was dunked right under the water going over one of the small white water bits, but there was an attendant right beside me within seconds with another tube for me to switch to. I was not in any danger whatsoever. In fact, I think you can stand right up in the river if there is a problem...it is not deep.

The second time I went was in March 2008 and the river was apparently running faster at the top, so we went into the river at a lower point. It wasn't quite as much fun as going in at the top, but better safe than sorry.

So, I would recommend it to people of all ages and fitness levels, as long as you aren't afraid of getting wet :D,

Bonnie

Just got back from doing this with Antours last week. The actual tubing is lots of fun and not a problem for anyone. They have 5-6 young men that ride with you and anytime you happen to get stuck on a rock they are there immediately to free you. They also position themselves next to any more serious hazards (low hanging branches, or bad rocky areas) and keep you away from them. These guys work hard and are always in the right position for assistance. Think of tubing as a mild bumper car ride on the water mixed with leasurely stretches of smooth relaxation.

Now I'll provide a little warning that it is possible to tip off the tube and in rare situation could get bruised on a rock; however, you are wearing a life-jacket and helmet so serious injury is highly unlikely. If falling into water should frighten you then I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, their tour provides some wonderful island stops at a couple waterfalls, fruit stand, and beach. There is some walking involved to see the waterfalls along trails, but this is optional and the drivers stay in the parking area (with some little sale stands) if you don't feel like walking a 1/4 mile to the falls.

I recommend Antours. Quick response, quick refund (for another couple that changed their mind a week before), friendly driver/guide ... excellent service and great fun!

I second that! Antours was very professional and the tour and tubing was great! We were on the same cruise and tour with Jay--(we had two vans and followed each other)--Jay's group of 4 had Henry Ford as their guide and was very informative compared to our guide but our group (a group of 18 from cruise critic) still had a great time and loved it! Your best bet is to contact Anison at Antours.

One of our cruisemates actually did fall out of her tube and someone in the group grabbed on to her and the nice young, strong, tubing guides were right there to grab her! An excursion not to be missed!

mlbdsct8

Lisa

I have dreamed of doing this......and I am going to Domica & Grenada in November. I have two questions. I had a total hip replacement and while I do my best.....I was wonderfing if this would be too much for me........also........please dont laugh.......I am terrified of snakes , spiders and bugs.......am I just dreaming? or will this be a reality for me.

Dorene

Dorene - First, without a doubt you won't have any snakes, spiders, or bugs to worry about on the float (at least I never saw any). As for your hip replacement, a friend had multiple knee surgeries and didn't have a problem. If you can handle steps, you shouldn't have any problems with the float. Visiting the falls on the Antours trip includes about 1/4 mile of walk down to the falls and back up a good set of steps on a trail. You also have the option of skipping the falls and staying at the shelter by the van (some local vendors there, too).

This might be a silly question, but is it a good idea to wear some sort of shirt over our swim suits? How about rubber sandals? Is there a safe place to leave our belongings or do we carry it all on the tube in a waterproof pouch? Thanks.

A shirt over your swimsuit is your option. It will help block some of the sun and might help if you think a lifejacket would be uncomfortable against your skin (wasn't for me). However, then you'll have a wet shirt to deal with on the ride back. I would wear one for the non-river/van ride time. Water sandals (with straps) are useful as there are a few rocks while getting in/out of the river. Flip-flops will get lost - I saw one float past - and the guides will recommend you take them off (but it is your decision).

Regarding belongings, you won't need anything except maybe a waterproof camera on the river. Our Antour driver (Henry Ford) was very good and stayed with vehicle the entire time. The drivers will drive down to the takeout point. We left money, camcorder, etc. in van and felt comfortable with it. Another lady on our tour had forgot to take an expensive diamond braclet off and had Henry hold it (she said if he sold it to get at least $4K for it). :)

Another suggestion if it is raining in the rainforest at the waterfall stop, leave your towel in the van while you walk to the pool/falls so it will be dry when you return. And by all means SWIM IN THE POOL ... it is great! Very refreshing and skin feels great afterwards.

Jay

Thanks and maybe you can answer a question I posted on the other thread about tubing. The ship has two tubing excursions (I want the ships excursion this time). one is Wacky rollers and the other doesn't have a name on it. They are the same time and cost. Should I assume they are the same or would it make a difference? I booked the no-name one before i saw there were two but it could easily be changed. Thanks.

Sorry, can't answer that one ... and I understand your desire for using a ship excursion. We wanted the opposite and were glad we picked Antours. Here's my + and - with Wacky Rollers.

Plus: We used W.R. three years ago for a different activity and enjoyed it. They make the excursion fun/lively. Their staff was very knowledgeable.

Negative: I tried contacting them three times (via e-mail and their website) this year to book tubing separate from the ship and received no reply. :confused: Also, I know they use open-air vehicles for some excursions (not sure if this one) and given the accident on Dominica, I would not recommend this mode of transportation for the island's steep/narrow roads.

I had read that Wacky Rollers float a lower stretch of the river which has a slower (more relaxing?) feel to it. Don't know if that is the case. When we went with Antours, there was one group that was along the same stretch but using paddles with their tubes and another that seemed to be getting in about the area where we were getting out.

My guess is you'll have fun regardless and if you haven't done it before you'll think it was fantastic and have nothing to judge it by. Oh, and you can always ask the excursion desk staff once you get on the boat and they'll be able to give you differences and make your final selection then!

Jay

Thanks. Yes, this time I prefer a ship excursion because this time I'm going alone with my daughter. When I'm with my husband we usually do private tours or just grab a cab. I have been to Dominica but never tried the river tubing. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll be honest and tell you that both Dominica and Grenada are very mountainous and the trips required to get to the rivers include some steep/narrow roads. The overlooks along the way are very scenic, but probably not the best for the situation you mentioned. Along the way, my wife and I wondered how a new driver would learn to drive on roads such as theirs ... but then again, how does anyone learn to drive in the middle of the Rockies (or downtown NYC?)?

I have dreamed of doing this......and I am going to Domica & Grenada in November. I have two questions. I had a total hip replacement and while I do my best.....I was wonderfing if this would be too much for me........also........please dont laugh.......I am terrified of snakes , spiders and bugs.......am I just dreaming? or will this be a reality for me.

Dorene

I just got back from doing the river tubing in Grenada which was a blast. The tubing has to be booked through the ship though. The tour is short 3 hours and doesn't involve any walking if you have any issues with your hips. I don't think you would have any trouble doing the river tubing part. You walk a few feet to the river, hop on the float and off you go. This tour also has several young guys positioned to help you along the way. It's so much fun you should do it one place or the other.

We went tubing with Antours as well, booked it about a month ahead ourselves on the internet, and he was very professional and met us at the pier entrance. Others on our ship did the ship's tour. Our experience was far far better and from their description safer, and cost slightly over 1/2 as much. Antours has top equipment and lots of guides in the water with you to help. I don't give strong recommendations frequently but would on this one-- don't hesitate to book an independent tour. The only exception would be if your port time is so limited that you have a risk of not getting back to the ship on time.

Water shoes (Aqua Socks) are a must! You need to protect your feet from sharp rocks, and if you have water shoes (good sport sandals would work too) you can fend off the rocks with your feet and 'steer' your way down the river... much more fun and safer than just going wherever the river wants to take you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just got back from doing this with Antours last week. The actual tubing is lots of fun and not a problem for anyone. They have 5-6 young men that ride with you and anytime you happen to get stuck on a rock they are there immediately to free you. They also position themselves next to any more serious hazards (low hanging branches, or bad rocky areas) and keep you away from them. These guys work hard and are always in the right position for assistance. Think of tubing as a mild bumper car ride on the water mixed with leasurely stretches of smooth relaxation.

Now I'll provide a little warning that it is possible to tip off the tube and in rare situation could get bruised on a rock; however, you are wearing a life-jacket and helmet so serious injury is highly unlikely. If falling into water should frighten you then I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, their tour provides some wonderful island stops at a couple waterfalls, fruit stand, and beach. There is some walking involved to see the waterfalls along trails, but this is optional and the drivers stay in the parking area (with some little sale stands) if you don't feel like walking a 1/4 mile to the falls.

I recommend Antours. Quick response, quick refund (for another couple that changed their mind a week before), friendly driver/guide ... excellent service and great fun!

We went with Antours last week and had an excellent time. Jayred summed it up well. The guides really worked hard to make sure you were safe 100% of the time. Mr Nice's fruit stand was also very memorable. I never thought I would enjoy the natural sweetness of a cocoa bean, banana, and coconut eaten all together. For those who plan on going with Antours, make sure to try the peanut punch after the tubing. This stuff was soo good I had to buy a bottle to bring back with me. Please do not hesitate to book with Antours....

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I did Wacky Rollers tour with a group of 10 people last March.. ages ranged from 23 years old to 80! The 80 year old did great and in was perfectly fine with the activity level. You do need to be able to walk down a few stairs and climb out of the tube at the end, but there are plenty of people to help. There was also a man who was in a wheel chair who was in another group that went down with us. The guys carried him down the stairs to the tube and picked him up out of the tube at the end and carried him to his wheel chair. The guys were friendly and funny and were there to prevent people from getting stuck and along the way they were there to push you on your merry way. We are going back this month and are definitely going to call the Wacky Rollers again.

Just a note.. make sure you wear water shoes or something just in case. Have to walk on rock ground when getting into tube and it was nice to have protection when we bumped into rocks on the side of the river.

Archived