NCL Spirit prices

racepoint

I'm looking at a 7-day cruise out of Boston for this summer 'cause it's close to home and Bermuda is beautiful. I'm not picky with the week. I'm flexible (as long as it's before hurricane season.) I'm finding the prices on the Spirit to be OUTRAGEOUS! Is anyone really booking a 7-day cruise in an inside cabin on deck 5 at a cost of $949/pp?? Or am I getting poked 'cause I live in the state where the cruise sails?:rolleyes:

I'm looking at a 7-day cruise out of Boston for this summer 'cause it's close to home and Bermuda is beautiful. I'm not picky with the week. I'm flexible (as long as it's before hurricane season.) I'm finding the prices on the Spirit to be OUTRAGEOUS! Is anyone really booking a 7-day cruise in an inside cabin on deck 5 at a cost of $949/pp?? Or am I getting poked 'cause I live in the state where the cruise sails?:rolleyes:

Bermuda cruises are nototriously high, I know. It's probably my favorite island. I keep looking at the prices hoping they'll go down a bit but they never do. The port fees are what makes the price so horrid. :(:(:( Cruising out of Boston would be awesome for me as well. If you weigh in the fact that you don't have to fly to port, that helps justify the cost somewhat....

I guess we just live near a popular port, sailing to a popular destination. I just have to wonder . . . in this economy, are people really biting? I understand your rationale about figuring in airfare if we had to fly to our port, but at $949.00/pp, my family of four could fly to Miami AND book a balcony or mini suite at that rate. And living in New England, I'm sure you can agree that the weather here is not dependable. It could be 50 degrees on a June sailing and raw and raining all the way to Bermuda and back, yet it's a pretty safe bet that the weather in the Caribbean for the same time period will be 80 degrees, day in and day out. Thus my wondering if people are really spending this kind of money for a "chance" at Bermuda . . . or has NCL overestimated us?

We've gone each year to Bermuda and the cruise rates are higher. Their port charges are very high compared to other ports. Last year, not long before the cruise we'd booked they dropped the prices to $399 for an inside on the Dream but we'd already booked.

We've gone each year to Bermuda and the cruise rates are higher. Their port charges are very high compared to other ports. Last year, not long before the cruise we'd booked they dropped the prices to $399 for an inside on the Dream but we'd already booked.

What month did you go? Just curious $399 is really cheap. One reason I booked this cruise and am driving from Pittsburgh is the cost of the third person. I've checked other cruiselines and they want alot more for our son. We only paid $149 for him for a 7 day cruise.

We got 849.00pp and 149.00pp for the 3 & 4 passenger, so considering we don’t have to fly, $2400.00 (includes port fees and taxes) wasn’t unreasonable. Heck we usually spend $1500.00 to rent a cottage at beach for a week and that doesn’t include food.

Cheryl

I guess we just live near a popular port, sailing to a popular destination. I just have to wonder . . . in this economy, are people really biting? I understand your rationale about figuring in airfare if we had to fly to our port, but at $949.00/pp, my family of four could fly to Miami AND book a balcony or mini suite at that rate. And living in New England, I'm sure you can agree that the weather here is not dependable. It could be 50 degrees on a June sailing and raw and raining all the way to Bermuda and back, yet it's a pretty safe bet that the weather in the Caribbean for the same time period will be 80 degrees, day in and day out. Thus my wondering if people are really spending this kind of money for a "chance" at Bermuda . . . or has NCL overestimated us?

It's not just NCL charging high rates for Bermuda..this is my point. Bermuda charges exorbitant port fees. Every cruise line that is permitted to dock there charges high rates for those sailings, not just NCL. Sailings to Bermuda from NY are even a little higher than out of Boston...it's not 'Boston' it's Bermuda that's expensive.

I do agree that getting to the caribbean is far cheaper*sigh*

The port charges are determined by that area's government. Bermuda is a very expensive place to live, so it would smake sense that all their fees would be more expensive, including the port charges.

I hope to cruise to Bermuda at some point, but it's too rich for my blood right now. We'd have the cost of the cruise plus flying and hotels, so we'll stick to the Caribbean.

It's crazy how much they charge but we pay because it's convenient and beautiful. Have you checked out any discounts you might be entitled to? Pay with Visa, Latitudes member, Union member, 55+ senior discount or military discount? If you get insurance you can usually get is cheaper through an independent agency.

We are going June 12 and there is only a $30pp difference between the lowest and highest inside cabins, I think it was $719 and $749. Some weeks are totally outrageous, over $1,000 for an inside..:eek: After our discounts we are paying $675pp for an I category plus $50 OBC. If you're flexible you might wait until last minute and hope the prices have dropped in order for them to fill the ship.

As long as there are people willing to pay what some of us consider exorbitant prices, the cruiselines will continue to charge them. They would be foolish to do otherwise.

We booked our Spirit cruise several months back and have had some price reductions since then, so we are quite happy with our room and the price. Of course we are also sailing early in the season, so prices are necessarily lower than they would be in June or July. The law of supply and demand hasn't been repealed so as long at there is strong demand, there will be high prices.

If you factor in the savings you get for not having to fly to your port of departure, you may conclude that those high prices aren't so bad after all.:)

I booked last month on-line for June 5 out of Boston. In addition, we got a military discount. We got $602 pp. for an inside cabin! We've never been to Bermuda, so I guess we're at their mercy. This was a lot more than we're used to paying. We usually go to the Caribbean w a balcony for about the same price! Be thankful you don't have to buy airfare! :eek:

Djabman22: I see you are from Watertown; heck, you could walk to the pier! Boston is fabulous in June for those of you flying in. We got a great price for mid May plus $200 obc. We haven't been to Bermuda for almost 20 years and that was when I had my moped accident. Waters are rough in the Atlantic...don't forget the Bonine.

We got 849.00pp and 149.00pp for the 3 & 4 passenger, so considering we don’t have to fly, $2400.00 (includes port fees and taxes) wasn’t unreasonable. Heck we usually spend $1500.00 to rent a cottage at beach for a week and that doesn’t include food.

Cheryl

This is exactly why people pay what seems like a lot to cruise out of Bermuda. We did a 5 night trip down the Cape last summer and for only accomodations it was about $1500. This includes NOTHING- not breakfast, certainly not a kids club! We are doing June 19th in an OVC for 4 and paid $2800- I will be saving money this year- and will actually have a chance to sit by the pool in peace!

My family just booked a cruise for July 17 out of Boston to Bermuda...for inside room cat kk we are paying $915 for first two passengers and $258 for 3rd and 4th passengers. total of $2,346 for all four of us including taxes...thought this was a great price for the four but trying to book another room for two and the cost is $915 for each and thought this was high...wondering if others thing this may reduce? Or is this a good price for July? Although we do not need to fly, we would rather wait if this will reduce. Your thoughts?

My family just booked a cruise for July 17 out of Boston to Bermuda...for inside room cat kk we are paying $915 for first two passengers and $258 for 3rd and 4th passengers. total of $2,346 for all four of us including taxes...thought this was a great price for the four but trying to book another room for two and the cost is $915 for each and thought this was high...wondering if others thing this may reduce? Or is this a good price for July? Although we do not need to fly, we would rather wait if this will reduce. Your thoughts?

July is high season for Bermuda cruises, so, unless they have trouble filling the ship, it is unlikely that they will be lowering the prices. Bermuda cruises out of Boston are very popular especially among those who would prefer not to fly to or from their ship. I don't know NCL's price policies, but with many cruise lines, if the price of your room category goes down after you book, the line will honor the lower price and refund you the difference. (The only time they will not do so is if they specify that the new price is for new bookings only). If NCL follows the practice of other lines, it makes sense to book now while you have the best selection of rooms. Check with your TA or NCL, however, to confirm their price policy. If they do not honor price reductions, you might want to wait and see what happens.:)

NCL does not refund price drops AFTER final payment although they will upgrade you or give you an on board credit for the difference. I do know a couple who booked a Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty a couple of years ago, three days before sailing and they paid half price of what was posted on the NCL site. They called NCL directly and that was the deal they were given. If you have your heart set on going I would just stay put and follow for price drops or you can take a chance and not book until close to sailing (and possibly be disappointed the ship is full). Also, are you aware there are a few inside cabins that are much bigger than most of them? Since you have four in your cabin you may want to see if any of those cabins are available. Those cabins are 175-200 sq ft and the normal size is 149 sq ft. If the larger cabins are not available now I would keep checking as people do make changes and one could become available.

There are also discounts you might check for. Military, Union, Latitudes, 55+, state resident and using VISA.

In my opinion the price you got for the four of you is a pretty good deal. There are three of us traveling and I've checked other cruiselines and it seems all of them charge alot more for the 3rd and 4th passengers. You're not see the extra savings when you only put two in a cabin. Are there six of you traveling together or were you looking for a cabin for two other people traveling separately?

I've been watching the price of this sailing and it seems to be going up. I did see one price drop shortly after I booked in January. I booked on-line through NCL and called them and had no trouble getting the price changed.

I'm also on this sailing. If you haven't already done so (I haven't checked in a few days) hop on over to the roll call I started and say hello.

Thanks for the advise...we actually did learn about the larger rooms from these boards and were able to upgrade to a category I for only $24 per room...and we changed to larger rooms on the deck 10...

We were waiting it out for a third room that we are booking for my parents...but it looks like the price went up a bit for the cat k and kk. the price is now the same for a cat k, kk and j. I think that I may book and just keep my eye on it in case it goes down and ask for the adjustment or room credit. I would hate to have them lose out or the price to continue to go up...I am afraid it will backfire on me...

Archived