July trip- fun in the sun???

LounVal

Many of the ships do have covered pool areas where you can swim or use a hot tub but not something you will probably want to do at an open pool. Many pax will sit on loungers near open pools with blankets, rugs or towels over them and read. However all of that said, sometimes you can hit some warmish weather in the latter part of July where you can use an outdoor pool while in port.

In 2007 we were in Ketchikan the 1st week of June. Was a very nice day and at about 3:30 in the afternoon the deck chairs and hot tubs on Lido deck were very full with people in bathing suits and drinks soaking up the sun!:cool: Looked like I could have been the Caribbean! :D

I knew it was nice but not that nice for me!;)

Even though the temps record in the 60's, if you take into account the wind chill factor, I think you will drop to the high 40's low 50's. Not swimming pool or even laying in the sun weather, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't see anyone in the pool on our first cruise in May '99. The second one in August '07, there was a family of 5 that we saw in the pool one day, when they got out, they grabbed their towels and were running inside. The hot tub was used a little more, but still too cold for me to even think of that.

As Budget Queen says, I was in my coat, gloves and scarf not a bathing suit.

This was our experience only: Two July cruises from Vancouver to Alaska, we were able to lay out on the aft deck, in t-shirts and shorts, reading and tanning, on our first sea day. And on one of those cruises, we were suntanning in Glacier Bay (t-shirt and shorts). Highly unusual, but a real "kick" :D

There were MANY other days it was a bit too chilly to be sitting still.

On my first trip to Alaska, we were on the Carnival Spirit and they had a covered pool area. My husband (at the time, now EX) and I used the hot tubs there a few times, and on our last day (southbound, through inside passage) we spent quite a while at the pool with the kids. The water was warm enough, and since the pool area was covered, it wasn't too cold. I don't remember exactly, but it was comfortable enough that we hung out there a couple of hours.

Of course, it may depend on what you are used to. We live in the Seattle area, so we are used to cold water and chilly weather, even in summer. We've been known to go in the hot tub when it's snowing. So, a covered pool area in Alaska is fine for us!

Archived