Just back from Constellation, some thoughts...

avalon1025

I'm really confused by the comments on Constellation. Up until now it seems, all the review were very complimentary and fairly uniform. So what has happened? What changed? The Crew? Food is subjective so we'll have to see for ourselves about that.

We will be on Constellation in three weeks -- for the first time -- and although we don't look for problems I just hope the cruise is as good a cruise as we have had in the past on Celebrity.

I guess time will tell.

Lucy - Don't even think about worrying. We've been on the Connie three times, the most recent was last September. Each cruise has been just great with nice accommodations, a nice clean ship in great condition, good food and very friendly staff who provided outstanding service. The only thing I could even begin to complain about was a couple of the lounge acts that didn't appeal to us.

Seems like most of the OP's problems surrounded his plumbing incident, and while the results were very poor for him it appears to be a pretty isolated incident.

We're looking forward to our upcoming b2b cruise on the Connie with no hesitation at all - and looking forward to the company of our fellow cruisers as well!

We have cruised Constellation many times. You will really enjoy your cruise and the crew can't do enuf for you. They are so sociable, so warm. Talk to them. They want you to ask about their country and their family. You made the right choice.

We leave next Friday and we are already packed.

My wife and I and another couple (all in our early to mid 60's) were also on the 2/13/09 cruise. We had veranda cabins on the 6th deck and experienced no problems with sewage, although I did notice a smell in the hall once or twice - possibly in the 6100 area.

I agree that the portions in the dining room have gotten smaller over the years (this was our 9th Celebrity cruise) and that there has been some cost savings, but nothing that affected us greatly. In fact, I think smaller portions (they are actually normal-sized portions, but seem small compared to the enormous portions most American restaurants serve) are a good idea - it is cost saving for the cruise line and most of the passengers I saw didn't need the extra calories. You could order more than one portion of any course if you wanted, and some of our party often did. Some dinners were better than others and they ranged from excellent to just OK. Oceanliners specialty restaurant was outstanding. The absense of live music did not bother us, although I do recall a harpist on one of the Celebrity ships that did add some ambiance to the meal.

I thought the staff did a fabulous job - our waiters and stateroom attendent were as good as any we've ever had. The entertainment was pretty much the same as on every other Celebrity cruise we've taken - no better or worse. Two comedians and a comedy hypnotist (that we missed) performed -both comedians were very funny and well received. We don't participate in most of the activities or gamble much, but I did not notice that there were fewer activities than on our previous cruises. We also don't go to the late night venues, so I can't comment on that.

I only noticed towels being rationed once and that was near the end of the day when they were running short. At all other times there were ample towels for the taking.

Our arrival and debarkation we outstanding. At about 12:15 on the first afternoon we arrived at the terminal and were on the ship within about 15 minutes. We walked our own luggage off at 7:40 a.m., took a cab to the airport and were through security in about 1/2 hour - it was amazing!

All in all, we had a very pleasant cruise and booked the Equinox for next January. I think cruising is evolving and all of the mass cruise lines will continue to cut corners where they can. We were amazed at everything on our first Celebrity Cruise on the Horizon in 1997 and couldn't imagine a more wonderful cruise. Nine cruises later we are somewhat jaded and take cruising pretty much for granted. I'm not sure that the level of elegance was higher in 1997, although it may have been, but personally I don't care as long as I get good food and have a good time, for a reasonable price. I am glad Celebrity has cut down on the formal nights and cut out the semi-formal (I forget the term) nights. Personally I could easily live without the formal nights as well. We tried Princess last year because we were looking for a new experience and after a day on the then new Emerald Princess we were sorry we had switched. I think we'll stay with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean for the foreseeable future.

No unfortunately Carl's contract was up on Constellation with the 2/2 cruise. I too agree that his music was by far the best entertainment on the ship. It is a shame more people other than the dancers, do not stop awhile and just listen. One very talented performer.

Ohhh, what a pity! Given the lacklustre entertainment program on this ship, his sets will be sorely missed. Glad we bought one of his CDs. Amazing vocal range. Thanks for the update!

Archived