Help! Re miami excursions!

mousey

We are considering taking one of the excursions offered by Carnival after we disembark in Miami on April 19th. There are two of them offered. One is a tour of the Art Deco area of South Beach (where I use to hang when I was a teenager, way back in the day), and the other is an airboat tour of the Everglades. Has anyone ever done either of these tours? If so, what did you think of them?:D Thanks for any responses! I apologize ahead of time if I've posted this in the wrong place.

We've done the South Beach Tour.

Everyone loads onto a bus. All luggage is thrown underneath :eek: (more to come later)

A guide talks about South Beach and the shops along Collins Ave(Blvd?) and some of the historic buildings along Ocean Blvd.

Around 11am the bus parks at the South end and everyone gets off the bus to stroll along Ocean Blvd/Collins/ or over to the beach itself. You also have time for lunch.

Around 12:45 or 1PM the bus loads back up and goes to MIA to unload passengers and then onto FLL. Got to MIA around 1:30 and to FLL by 2 - 2:15.

Baggage; Make sure you are standing there while the driver is unloading baggage to ensure you receive ALL of your luggage. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the loading and unloading. The driver just unloads bags,,,if noone says anything, he closes up and drives off.

We've done the South Beach Tour.

Everyone loads onto a bus. All luggage is thrown underneath :eek: (more to come later)

A guide talks about South Beach and the shops along Collins Ave(Blvd?) and some of the historic buildings along Ocean Blvd.

Around 11am the bus parks at the South end and everyone gets off the bus to stroll along Ocean Blvd/Collins/ or over to the beach itself. You also have time for lunch.

Around 12:45 or 1PM the bus loads back up and goes to MIA to unload passengers and then onto FLL. Got to MIA around 1:30 and to FLL by 2 - 2:15.

Baggage; Make sure you are standing there while the driver is unloading baggage to ensure you receive ALL of your luggage. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the loading and unloading. The driver just unloads bags,,,if noone says anything, he closes up and drives off.

So on this tour you get to the Miami airport at about 2-2:15p. That would work for us because our flight leaves at 5p. Did you enjoy the tour? I know about how they handle luggage. It's amazing more of it doesn't get misplaced! So far we have been lucky and have not had any luggage go missing! Thanks for your response!:D

Is there a way to book the trip before you sail. from what I see there is a note that this is only booked onboard?

Not that I'm aware of.

We didn't even consider this until almost the last day of the cruise, and then booked on board for 7 of us. I don't think that it's limited. If they need more busses, they just call ahead.

Is there a way to book the trip before you sail. from what I see there is a note that this is only booked onboard?

My DH was wondering about this also. He's afraid they won't book the tour unless there are enough people on it, and then we will be stuck with nothing to do in Miami because of having to cart our luggage around! So, the fact that you posted with the same question gives us hope that there are other people interested in these excursions.:D

The bus will get to MIA around 1:30. It then goes to FLL and gets there around 2 to 2:30.

These excursions are more of a public service that the cruiseline provides. They are very aware that some people don't fly until late afternoon and have nothing to do with their luggage and need something to do.

The excursions WILL be available.

If necessary, I'd do it again. We really didn't do it for the excitement of seeing South Beach. We did it because we had time to waste, wanted to see South Beach, didn't know what to do with luggage, and needed transportation back to the airport. This excursion filled all those needs.

Doesn't stand out as one of the most exciting excursions I've ever done though. :D

While the SB tour isn't "exciting" to me, it was a great way to end the cruise. Basically, on your own to do whatever without worrying about luggage or stuck on a tour bus with beautiful weather looking out the window.

Exciting probably would be the Everglades tour which is more expensive.

Also, be aware that if you do a post-cruise tour, you will have to be at a determined location by 8 at the latest.

Also, be aware that if you do a post-cruise tour, you will have to be at a determined location by 8 at the latest.

MN can correct me if I'm wrong but what I thnk they are saying is that you have to be at the determined location on the ship by 8 am.

Then you get off the ship, grab luggage, go thru customs, exit out and meet at the charter bus. The bus doesn't leave the port until they are full or appox sometime between 10 and 11.

Actually, I'm really more interested in doing the Everglades tour, but I don't know how long it takes and at what time we would get to the Miami Airport. Our flight leaves at 5p so we have to be at the airport no later than 3p to check luggage, get through security, and all that. Has anyone done this tour? Thanks for all the responses so far!:D

Archived