What happens during "Sailaway"?

jbroons

On some cruises they had the nerve to sail away while we were at the muster drill. :mad: But on many other cruises we stood along the railing looking at huge houses built along the waterway, people in cars waving and flashing their lights at us while we waved back, restaurants full of outdoor diners waving and cheering, jet skis riding along side until the Coast Guard chased them away, a small fishing boat holding up a HUGE fish they had caught that day. Bring your camera, grab a drink and stroll around the upper decks taking it all in.

A co-worker is on the Freedom this week, I'll ask her next Monday what she did/saw as they sailed away. It's usually a lot of fun and a great intro to the start of your cruise! :D

Ms B

I was kind of hoping for a "Sail Away Party" of sorts... no? :confused:
Other than the band or duo that Carnival provides and the waiters selling drinks, there's not much organized fun going on. Like others have said, it's what you make of it. Make friends, drink up and have fun.

While I agree that sailaway is what you make of it, I think the port you're leaving also makes a difference. Sailaway in NYC is fun because you sail past Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty and under the Verazzano-Narrows Bridge. The upper decks are usually crowded and everyone cheers when the ship sails under the bridge. Miami can be fun if you're sailing past other ships still at dock (there is a great You Tube video of a Valor sailaway with a ship's horn contest between Valor and Freedom of the Seas) and waving to people along the causeway. On the other hand, some ports are just plain boring.

Archived