Eat lobsters at port stop, St. John or Halifax?

We're be on Carnival Triumph coming to St. John on July 1 and Halifax on July 2.

Friends who had gone to the east coast said the lobsters are really fresh and tasty. I told my wife we already will have a lobster one night on the cruise, but she wants my family of 5 (3 kids) to eat lobsters (one each) while there. Well, my extended family has another 5 people.

Between St. John and Halifax, what would be a better place to stop to eat lobsters somewhere? I hope it doesn't take too long, for wait for 10 lobsters to be cooked. In the interest of time, I'm leaning to do that in Halifax, but like to hear your opinions.

We're be on Carnival Triumph coming to St. John on July 1 and Halifax on July 2.

Friends who had gone to the east coast said the lobsters are really fresh and tasty. I told my wife we already will have a lobster one night on the cruise, but she wants my family of 5 (3 kids) to eat lobsters (one each) while there. Well, my extended family has another 5 people.

Between St. John and Halifax, what would be a better place to stop to eat lobsters somewhere? I hope it doesn't take too long, for wait for 10 lobsters to be cooked. In the interest of time, I'm leaning to do that in Halifax, but like to hear your opinions.

The lobster is the same species - the only difference would be the atmosphere of the restaurant. Directly across the ship in Saint John is Steamer's Lobster Company - they have a big outdoor lobster pot to cook the lobsters - you can sit outside on picnic like tables and people watch or eat indoors in an old rustic historic building.

The lobster is the same species - the only difference would be the atmosphere of the restaurant. Directly across the ship in Saint John is Steamer's Lobster Company - they have a big outdoor lobster pot to cook the lobsters - you can sit outside on picnic like tables and people watch or eat indoors in an old rustic historic building.

Same species, but don't they taste better in St. John? :rolleyes:

Steamer's sounds good. Do you know what they charge? I don't really care about ambience (wife might) and in the interest of time, we might just grab them to go and eat in the car while we drive.

Steamer's sounds good. Do you know what they charge? I don't really care about ambience (wife might) and in the interest of time, we might just grab them to go and eat in the car while we drive.

Here are their prices:

http://www.steamerslobstercompany.com/menu

For just a lobster from the pot - it depends on market price at the time you are in port.

I've seen people do a lot of things in the car while driving..talk on the phone, put on make up, look at a map, but never heard of anyone eating a lobster.

Are you serious? Do you mean a whole lobster, cracking the claws and all? What about the hot butter? And kids too?

I've seen people do a lot of things in the car while driving..talk on the phone, put on make up, look at a map, but never heard of anyone eating a lobster.

Are you serious? Do you mean a whole lobster, cracking the claws and all? What about the hot butter? And kids too?

ROFL.. I'm sorry, but that picture:eek:... I am so dang "cruise spoiled" and it's been so long since my summers in New England that when a waiter in Portland put the whole lobster down on a plate and gave me the claw crackers and a bib... it took me forever! But I had it down for Halifax, St John and Boston .. yes, I hate a lobster every day for lunch.

In Halifax there are places on the dock for lobster (Murphys etc.) but Steamers looked great in St John.. I'd second that.. we had eaten in town and didn't notice till we got back to ship.

...St John...

Okay, I have a feeling that someone might get spanked for writing it the wrong way... it's Saint John, NB (not to be mistaken with St John's, NL).

It's the quickest way to get stoned to death in Saint John. Or worse, they will throw some Deluxe French Fries at you.

Haha. Yap, eating lobsters in the car. Usually it ends up I don't get to eat much as the driver. I'm at the mercy of my wife, if she decides to feed me something.

But I hope the lobster would already be cut/cracked in pieces. We don't have a lobster cracker to bring on the trip.

Wow----Eat them in the car? :eek: Eating lobster is very messy. Juice flies everywhere and gets very smelly. The discarded shells drip more juice and stink to the high heaven very quickly. The rental company would most likely assess a hefty cleaning bill when you return the car as they would not be able to rent it as is. Lobster in the shell is best eaten outdoors or in a restaurant. It is the only food eaten in a public restaurant where you are supplied with a large plastic bib. You also need crackers and picks which you would not have in the car.

It is a delicious treat but not one that people serve in their dining room at home---more likely at the cottage or on the back deck where the mess is not an issue. If you have never eaten a lobster in the shell, it is hard to imagine the mess but I can picture the inside of a car after the feast. It would not be pretty.:D

Wow----Eat them in the car? :eek: Eating lobster is very messy. Juice flies everywhere and gets very smelly. The discarded shells drip more juice and stink to the high heaven very quickly. The rental company would most likely assess a hefty cleaning bill when you return the car as they would not be able to rent it as is. Lobster in the shell is best eaten outdoors or in a restaurant. It is the only food eaten in a public restaurant where you are supplied with a large plastic bib. You also need crackers and picks which you would not have in the car.

It is a delicious treat but not one that people serve in their dining room at home---more likely at the cottage or on the back deck where the mess is not an issue. If you have never eaten a lobster in the shell, it is hard to imagine the mess but I can picture the inside of a car after the feast. It would not be pretty.:D

You certainly have a point here. Hmm, wonder if I can convince my wife not to do this after all. As it is, I'm still trying to figure out how we can rent a car to drive to Hopewell Rock, or at least St. Martin for our time in port. With the rental offices closed downtown it means needing to rent from airport.

Hertz can pick up but they are a lot more expensive. National is going to confirm if they can pickup. Hmm, I'll actually call the two offices downtown and see if they would open on July 1, as they should get lots of business with 3000 cruisers + crews coming to port.

How about getting lobster rolls? They are lobster salad on a hotdog roll and would be easy to grab and go.

McDonald's Restaurants even has McLobster Rolls for a certain period during the summer.

McLobster Rolls? First time heard of this.

But it's not the same as eating fresh lobster meat.

Actually, in some Asian restaurant they do a good job cooking lobsters. They can be steamed, fried with onios & gingers, or with black beans. All cut up in pieces. I like them that way compared to western restaurants that are usually just plain steam with butter.

Howcome no plug for eating lobsters in Halifax?

McLobster Rolls? First time heard of this.

But it's not the same as eating fresh lobster meat.

Actually, in some Asian restaurant they do a good job cooking lobsters. They can be steamed, fried with onios & gingers, or with black beans. All cut up in pieces. I like them that way compared to western restaurants that are usually just plain steam with butter.

Howcome no plug for eating lobsters in Halifax?

I never had a McLobster myself, but my friend claims they are just as good, if not better, then what you'll find at a seafood restaurant. Here it is: http://paxholley.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/mclobster2.jpg

http://www.globecord.com/GCimages/McLobster.jpg

They usually have them for a limited time - not sure when but it's in the summer sometime.

McDonald's Restaurants even has McLobster Rolls for a certain period during the summer.

The McLobster roll is a result of NAFTA rules.

I remember the first year after NAFTA kicked in, we were eating 7 small lobsters for $20 in Montreal. They were trucking them in from the Maritimes and the Gaspe. Canner sized lobsters can't be shipped over the border in either direction. They are therefore sold on the open market and used to make such dishes as McLobster. Lobster season is April to July.

My Fiance' and Myself Just booked this cruise also ..It Will be our first cruise... Im a big Lobster fan and Ive been reading That Peggy's Cove is great for Em .. and That the Lighthouse tour Is good cause they feed you lobsters too.. Yumm.. I hope its a fun Cruise ..

My Fiance' and Myself Just booked this cruise also ..It Will be our first cruise... Im a big Lobster fan and Ive been reading That Peggy's Cove is great for Em .. and That the Lighthouse tour Is good cause they feed you lobsters too.. Yumm.. I hope its a fun Cruise ..

The Lighthouse tour feed you lobster? Is that when you join Carnival's tour? We would be driving there ourselves, and would tour ourselves. Would the lobsters be eaten somewhere else?

You certainly have a point here. Hmm, wonder if I can convince my wife not to do this after all. As it is, I'm still trying to figure out how we can rent a car to drive to Hopewell Rock, or at least St. Martin for our time in port. With the rental offices closed downtown it means needing to rent from airport.

Hertz can pick up but they are a lot more expensive. National is going to confirm if they can pickup. Hmm, I'll actually call the two offices downtown and see if they would open on July 1, as they should get lots of business with 3000 cruisers + crews coming to port.

As nice as it is to visit the Rocks, it would not be a relaxing experience with what you want to do in 8 hours. Bear in mind that it is Canada Day and traffic will be heavy. If you study a google map you will see that after you leave the four lane Highway 1 and go onto Highway 114 , you will be on a two lane road that leads into Fundy National Park. This will be busy, and it is a twisty road with little opportunity to pass, as is the road on the other side of the park from Alma up to Hopewell Rocks. It will take you longer than the distance on the map would indicate. It could take two to two and a half hours, depending on traffic. Two hours would be on a good day--not a holiday.

Now on the outside, you have used up five of your eight hours. You could get your lobster rolls at Steamers which is directly accross the street from Pugsley Terminal where you will be docked, but on a cruise day, that could take time--30 minutes. If the car rental people pick you up, you will have paperwork and the return procedure--another 30 mintes. You have now used six and a half hours. Since the ship wants you back on board 30 minutes prior to sailing you now have 1 hour to get parked at the Rocks, go through the visitor centre and walk down the path to the beach access.

Please also bear in mind that Saint John is a very old city with streets that run every which way, higgledy piggledy. Many are one way. Access and exit from the four lane highway are not the simplest. It is easy to get temporarily lost.

However, you could easily rent a car and visit St. Martins. It takes about forty five minutes. The area is a photographer's delight. You can park in the parking lot right next to the beach restaurant and walk out to the caves if the tide is low. There is no charge---they are just there----also no charge for parking. The beach is quite rocky so wear comfortable shoes. You can then walk back up the road for about five minutes and walk through the covered bridges and if the tide is low you can see the fishing boats bottomed out in the harbour. There are a few gift shops. You can then return to your car and drive out to the lighthouse---it only takes a few minutes and anyone would be happy to direct you. If you have children with you there is a miniature horse farm which welcomes visitors and the children can ride one of the horses. Again, just ask a local how to find it. It is not far from the lighthouse.

When you return to Saint John you should have time to have your lobster at Steamers across the street from the ship. You will have a far more relaxing day than if you tried to go to Hopewell Rocks. As lovely as the area is, you just need more time.

As far as doing Hopewell and St. Martins in the same eight hours----no can do. Perhaps if it were all four lane highway, but not on the country roads that you would have to travel. I don't want to rain on your parade, just trying to be practical.

The lobster in Halifax is just as good as the lobster in St. John or St. John's.

:):):)

Ah, finally a plug for Halifax.

As a scuba diver, we are always excited to see lobsters hiding in crevices. When diving, we wouldn't harm or touch lobsters. But back on land, oh well, lobsters are tasty.

These people are coming to the Atlantic prov. for lobster and someone suggests MacDonalds Are you nuts, one of the most fantasic things we have here and you want them to eat at MacDonalds they can get that anywhere, if you have to do like one of the other posters said get lobster rolls from a real place to go no mess and great food. And by the way Murpghys in Hlaifax will do this for you , for a reasonable price. :):)

No Acey is not nuts. He devotes a great deal of time and effort in helping visitors to our area. He does not deserve to be insulted in that manner. A lot of tourists from outside the area are intrigued to find that McDonalds sell a McLobster. Acey in no way suggested that it was superior lobster. It is just a local oddity that many find amusing. On this board everyone is very friendly and helpful and this is the first time I have come accross an insulting post. I suggest that you read back a bit on this board to see just how valuable Acey's information is and how much time he puts into helping people.

If you decide to go to St. Martins you could purchase lobster at either restaurant by the caves as they both offer fresh lobster meals. You might be able to order then go out and check out the caves (reducing your wait time), hopefully the tide will be out so you can walk inside the caves.

You may also try a lobster role as Acey suggested, however I would recommend Lord's Lobster in the Saint John City Market.

The lobster in Halifax is just as good as the lobster in St. John or St. John's.

:):):)

Talk to me Northender. We will be on the HAL traveling to Halifax on July 9 which happens to be my hubby's birthday. A nice lobster would be one fun way to make his day special. Where should we head in Halifax for lobster and for the day?

Archived