Cape Liberty - New Dock?

eshop

Have they started using the new dock at Cape Liberty yet? If they have, does that mean you don't have to take the bus from the place you check-in to the ship?

The ship is closer to the dock but they still bus us to the ship. It is walking distance but is not under cover which is why I think they bus us.

Has it changed from Feb '08? There was a short bus ride from the terminal, which I would call walking distance, but some wouldn't. Alternatively does anyone have a recent picture?

Here is a picture from the aft of the ship looking toward the terminal.

IMG_0500.jpg.f6ec9f84bdaed4357e2ea6f8d0e9daf1.jpg

The new dock is in the foreground alongside the 9/11 Memorial Park. The old dock is way in the back (the second concrete dock opposite the white container loading cranes) Also take note of the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid in the Bayonne drydock facility.

2090164800099108734S600x600Q85.jpg

Closer view of the new dock.

2512010300099108734S600x600Q85.jpg

And in case anyone cares... you can sail a cruise ship out of this dock with ShipSimulator! Great fun!

I'm new to crusing, so pardon my possibly dumb question.

Why are the cost of the cruise from these two ports much higher than lets say Port Canaveral? It's cheaper for me to fly down than to drive locally to take a cruise.

I'm new to crusing, so pardon my possibly dumb question.

Why are the cost of the cruise from these two ports much higher than lets say Port Canaveral? It's cheaper for me to fly down than to drive locally to take a cruise.

Supply and demand. There is only 1 RCI ship in NJ/NY area and many in Florida. From what I have heard the Explorer rarely goes out without being full. As long as people keep paying the prices they will stay there. I did go once and it was wonderful being able to drive to and from the port, but don't know if I will be able to do it again due to the cost.

DH and I love the memorial and are happy to see that it appears to be more 'visible' to cruisers. It is very poignant and respectful. Everyone should make a point to view this beautiful art piece.

I could not agree more. On my last Explorer cruise the Explorer of the Seas did not arrive in port until after 3pm due to storms. As always, I arrived at the port very early! To kill some time I walked over to the memorial and wound up spending hours contemplating life and all I had to be thankful for. It is truly a beautiful monument, incredibly well situated, respectfully designed and a fitting tribute to those that lost their lives. I would really recommend everyone get to the port early enough to visit the memorial before you board.

2726778920099108734S600x600Q85.jpg

The ship is closer to the dock but they still bus us to the ship. It is walking distance but is not under cover which is why I think they bus us.

We've sailed out of here twice in the last couple of years but we're taking my in-laws on the next one and we'll be using a wheelchair. I was hoping the new dock would somehow be connected directly to the terminal.

Thanks for the information!

The new dock is in the foreground alongside the 9/11 Memorial Park. The old dock is way in the back (the second concrete dock opposite the white container loading cranes) Also take note of the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid in the Bayonne drydock facility.

2090164800099108734S600x600Q85.jpg

Closer view of the new dock.

2512010300099108734S600x600Q85.jpg

And in case anyone cares... you can sail a cruise ship out of this dock with ShipSimulator! Great fun!

Is that the parking lot for the ship's passengers? If so it doesn't look like it holds many cars.

Jimbo:)

Is that the parking lot for the ship's passengers? If so it doesn't look like it holds many cars.

Jimbo:)

No, that is the parking for the 9-11 memorial. Before they moved Explorer's berth, my wife and I would go there and watch the ship depart.

Not sure if you can park there now when the explorer is in port.

Also, the names on the memorial include those who died from the first Trade Tower bombing. I knew one of them.

Archived