Horizon Mar 4 Tour With Oscar

elliebird

We Will Be In Puerto Limon On March 8,2005.

Is Anyone Interested In Joining A Jungle/all Day Tour In Puerto

Limon, Costa Rico With Oscar. We Have 4 Adults And Need 8 To 10 More For A Van. Tour Is $45.00 Per Person For Tourtuguero Canal. Through The Rain Forest, City Tour , Botananical Gardens, Etc.

Hi elliebird, we are on the same cruise. I have been emailing with Oscar about a trip that day too. Oscar has been very friendly to email with. We are also looking into a couple of private tours.

We would like to do some of Oscar's tour (canal, banana factory) but would like to go to a black sand beach as well as the sloth sanctuary. Although, I have recently read that a tour co. isn't going to the sloths because of poor conditions. If so, we don't want to go either!

Oscar said that a tour such as ours would be $105/person. We think that is a little on the high side. So, we are still looking around , comparing and trying to decide.

Hi Ellie, We are going to be there too and we think we want to do the ziplining. From what I have read in the posts Oscar charges $45.00 per person for transportatin and what ever else your group wants to do is extra if they charge for it. I think Almonds & Carols is $40.00 to get in OR $75.00 if they also provide the transportaton. It looks like the transportation they have is in a nice air conditioned bus and it looks like oscars van do not have AC. I also read where some of the tour companies give discounts for booking 4 , 6 or 10 people at a time. I believe that these sould like a fair deal but if you look at it from there view point it is VERY good. (14 people at $45 for a total of $630.00) The tour operator buys gas and some soft drinks and pays a driver for the day so it looks to me like we should get a group discount if we book it together. The advantage to Oscar is that we will take you where you want to go and make sure you are back to the port at what time you want to be. I have been comparing prices from one cruise line to the next and then to the prices if we do it on our own. Here is what i have learned so far. One cruise line wil be higher on some things that the other but they seem to bounch around. Some thinks are cheaper on one and some on the other. (not much but usually $10 to $25) Also much to my surprise some times the cruise prices are cheaper than any of the prices i could find by looking for the best deal on our own. SO I guess if you are looking for the best deal you need to compare ship prices to doing it on your own each and every time. I also believe that the best price is not always the best deal. I am amazed at how much I am learning by reading the CC post here. It is GREAT. I read about one port each night and it is a lot a time but a lot of fun too. I emailed Oscar about a zipline tour so we will keep the post here up to date with what we learn . Please sign up for our CC party on the Horizon. We need 25 and we are almost there. They a good turkey day.

Hi elliebird, Oscar said the new tour we wanted to do would be considered a double tour and also includes a $30 entrance fee/person to the sloth sanctuary.

We have decided to go on a private tour with a company based in San Jose. It has everything that we want to do (minus the sloths) plus lunch at a local place. It's about the same prices as Oscar, but it will just be the 3 of us from 7:30 AM- 5:30 PM.

I have heard nothing but good reviews about Oscar--I'm sure you would get a good tour if you wanted to go with him. We just wanted something a little different and felt this private tour would be better suited for us.

Hi Woody, we decided on a company called Miki Travel located in San Jose. It is an all day (7:30 am -5:30 pm) private tour with lunch for $110 pp. A little pricey, but we wanted to do certain things/places and not be with huge groups of people. I think it will be a great day.

• 1 month later...

Archived