Welcome aboard show at dinnertime?

K&Rs Mom

We're going on our first cruise in a week, on RC Independence of the Seas. I've looked at a few of the cruise compasses that have been posted, and it looks like the "family welcome-aboard show" is consistently at 5:45. Our dinner seating is at 6:15, and I assume most families will also choose the early seating. How does this work? We can't be on time for dinner if we go to the family show, but it sounds like this will have lots of helpful info. Any thoughts from those who have done this before? Thanks!

We went to the Welcome Aboard show (which is held in Studio B and features the cast from the ice show as well as the AO counselors) on Liberty in December and managed to make it to the MDR in time for dinner at 6:15. There was not a lot of dilly-dallying but we weren't late;) Right after dinner we headed up to AO to register.

Truth be told, I skip it on every cruise. ;)

They actually air it MANY times...lol...on the in cabin TV on Independence. But if you want to check it out, you will have enough time to see the show then get to dinner. The show is short. It is created to allow for those going to Main Seating to make it to dinner.

I just haven't figured out a way to get ready for dinner early enough to do both. :p

There is something to be said for that Michele!

Honestly, I certainly wouldn't do it again;) Since it was our first time on a ship with a child we weren't sure what to expect so we did it ALL!

If I had know that it was going to be aired about 20 times on the cabin tv within the first 48 hours I might have skipped it. However, our 8 year old GS (first time on a ship) had some anxiety about the AO and the Welcome Aboard did alleviate some of his fears.

When we went to register him after dinner he jumped right in with the other kids and started playing board games. So in hindsight he probably would have been fine skipping it; it was the over-protective grandparents that needed the reassurance:D

Thanks, everyone. My kids are pretty comfortable just jumping in, so maybe we'll skip it and see if it's on TV later. I do feel better knowing it's not a vital thing!

Nope it's not vital. It's held in Studio B (ice rink) and they introduce the AO counselors. And then the ice people come out and skate...lol.

The registration continues as usual up in Adventure Ocean at the posted times.

I know you have already told me this but I can't seem to find the thread now:rolleyes:. Could you tell me again about the afterhours program with Adventure Ocean? I believe you said it is $5/hour? When does it begin and end? Do you have to sign up for this separately or can you just drop your kid off there as long as he is already signed up for AO? Is it offered every night? Sorry to ask this again:o

Archived