Renting a Car for a Day

Marlissa

Hi all,

There are five of us flying into MSY, one day before our cruise. We are trying to have transportation for sight seeing, in addition to saving taxi fares from airport to hotel to Port for five people. We were thinking about renting a car at the airport and returning it the day of the cruise at a location close to the Port.

I have found that Budget has a location at 1317 Canal Street, but it closes at 2 pm on Sundays (we didn't want to drop off the car that early) and Hertz has a location at 901 Convention Center Blvd (which stays open later). I have found maps, but they don't all agree on how far these locations are from the Port.

Has any one rented a car then dropped it off close to the Port? Are these locations within walking distance (able bodied, no luggage, December weather) or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks,
Marlissa

First, beware that some hotels charge $20 or more per day for parking.

I use Hertz. Pick up at the airport and drop off at the Convention Center location with no drop off fees. Last cruise I walked WITH luggage to the ship. Not that big of deal. Since you can't cut through the convention center, it might end up being about 4 blocks to walk.
Hertz has a shuttle bus you can take, or used to. There is also the Fulton Street garage bus (same location) that will take you to the ship.

Here is one of my favorite coupons:
[url="http://www.americawest.com/flightfund/promotions/ff_carpartner.htm"]http://www.americawest.com/flightfund/promotions/ff_carpartner.htm[/url]
350 Bonus Miles and save up to $20
From now through March 31, 2005, you can earn [b]350 bonus miles and save $5 per day[/b] on qualifying Leisure Weekend Rate rentals of two or more days, or earn 350 bonus miles and save $20 on qualifying Leisure Weekly Rate rentals. Take advantage of this offer by renting any car class, including Sport Utility Vehicles, Minivans, and Hertz Prestige Collection vehicles, at a participating location in the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada. Provide your FlightFund membership number, FlightFund Discount Number [b]CDP 1450445 and PC #947940[/b] for Leisure Weekend rentals or [b]PC #947962[/b] for Leisure Weekly rentals. For reservations, call 800-654-2210 or visit [url="http://offers.hertz.com/ftmilesdollarsoff03/index.cfm?uniqueid=1131"][color=#0000ff]hertz.com[/color][/url] 350 Bonus miles & Save up to $20 Now through 3/31/05

There is a fixed fee for taxis from the airport to hotel: $28.00 for 2 people. A little more for additional passengers. I saw notices on the taxi window that fee from hotel to port is $10 or computed fare, which ever is greater.

Driving in New Orleans is not a recommendation I would make. We stayed in the French Quarter on Royal street and was within walking distance to everything. We took a cab once to get to Commander's Palace ($10 each way), but we could have taken the trolley and walked the remaining distance.

What do you plan on DOING with the car??? You will NOT need it in New Oleans and parking is very limited. I rent from Dollar on Loyola, easy walk there, for my day trips to plantations, but I never have a car otherwise. May not be an option- but I always take the bus from the airport- only have one small rolling bag- I do laundry. :) Bus is $1.60 and drops off on Elk, then an easy walk to Canal or Poydras for bus or trolley- IF you have an area hotel. By no means not for everyone.

The way I figure it:

Taxi for 2 from airport to Springhill Suites (CBD area) $28.00
Taxi for 3 from airport to Springhill Suites $38.00
Taxi for 5 from Springhill Suites to Port $20.00 (not sure if it's $10 pp or per carload; went with the cheaper of the two - per carload figure)
Transportation for 5 to lunch on Sunday $10.00
Transportation for 3 sight seeing on Sat. $10.00

That adds up to over $100 for transporation for the one day.

If I get a $35.00 including tax, full size rental car, pay the $14.00 hotel parking fee, and even add in parking for lunch on Sunday $10.00. We've spent about $55 for the day.

We are looking at the car as a convenience and money saver. I understand parking could be an issue. Don't think we're too interested in the FQ, especially on a Saturday night. Not sure why KVR wouldn't recommend driving in NO; if it's weather or traffic related, we should be okay. We're originally from Dallas and now 3 of us live in Denver and 2 live in outside Detroit.

Marlissa

The reason I don't recommend driving in New Orleans (French Quater area):

Everything is within walking distance
Parking is limited and expensive
The streets are narrow and crowed with tour buses and delivery trucks
Pedestrians are everywhere and have the right of way
Most areas in the French Quarter are blocked off a night so tourists can walk around expecially Bourbon Street, Iberville, parts of Royal and Beinville

Archived