Car seats question

sochlaw

We are cruising to cozumel, belize and roatan

We have two boys, 4 and 1 and we were wondering about whether the car seats were needed to take on the cruise with us

We were planning on taking taxis to a few of the locations on the islands, and we don't know if you're supposed to take car seats when hailing a taxi

Thanks for your help

I know there are folks who won't move an inch without a car seat, but shoot---I grew up when there was no such thing as a car seat, and we survived. Unless your taxi trip is hours long, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The hassle of having to carry 2 carseats would be too much for me.

I am one of those who won't "move an inch" lol ;)

If you use one in the US, then yes you should use one in Port. Yes, it's a pain to lug car seats. The 4 year old could use a backless booster like a Turbo Booster, but could possibly just use the taxi's seat belt. It's the 1 year old that really needs the car seat.

Like I said on the last thread about this...the laws of physics are the same in the Caribbean. ;)

And I would think it would be MUCH more of a hassle having to visit the ER while on vacation.

Thanks for your help....I think we'll leave the booster seat on the ship and take the car seat for the infant, based on your feedback....It's easier to lug around one car seat compared to two....My only worry is taxis without seat belts

...I grew up when there was no such thing as a car seat, and we survived. Unless your taxi trip is hours long, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The hassle of having to carry 2 carseats would be too much for me.

The truth is that the the children who didn't survive back in the "good old days" before car seats aren't here to make their case.

I used to use a "Sit-n-Stroll" which is a carseat/stroller combination. It's expensive so while convenient, I can't recommend it just because of the price. You can see if you can borrow one from someone you may know who has one.

Also, I used to use a Cosco Scenera. This sells for as little as $40-50 and is very light and easy to carry.

Here's another product you may want to look into getting for the older child;

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

Since you have two children, it might be worth the expense and you can use it at home too. It's safer than a booster and good for car pooling, other vacations, etc.

Often, if you find a taxi without seatbelts in foreign countries, just wave it off and check the next one. In some places, they'll put covers over the seats that hide the seatbelts. Not sure if this is the case in the Caribbean...

Good luck!

....My only worry is taxis without seat belts

I keep hearing about these taxis without seatbelts but I have yet to encounter one. ;) I must just be really lucky. But like Eclipse said, just wave it off and check the next one.

Eclipse - how do you think that vest works for younger kids? What is the youngest age for that, would you say? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I keep hearing about these taxis without seatbelts but I have yet to encounter one. ;) I must just be really lucky. But like Eclipse said, just wave it off and check the next one.

Eclipse - how do you think that vest works for younger kids? What is the youngest age for that, would you say? Thanks!

Hello, My name is Kim and my family is going to the bahamas and caribbean in August on Carnival Pride. My boys are 2 and 4 and I just had some questions for you. We are driving to Baltimore so we will not need any taxis,but was not sure if there would be a time that we would need car seats. We are going to nassau, freeport, half moon cay, and grand turks. We have not booked any excursions yet. Have you gone to any of these ports and do you think we will need car seats? Any advice for first time cruise with young toddlers? Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Hello, My name is Kim and my family is going to the bahamas and caribbean in August on Carnival Pride. My boys are 2 and 4 and I just had some questions for you. We are driving to Baltimore so we will not need any taxis,but was not sure if there would be a time that we would need car seats. We are going to nassau, freeport, half moon cay, and grand turks. We have not booked any excursions yet. Have you gone to any of these ports and do you think we will need car seats? Any advice for first time cruise with young toddlers? Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

I will be taking my toddler (age 3) on her first cruise in 3 weeks. I just can't NOT take a car seat with us for the ports - Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin. I'm like Cruisinmama - better safe than sorry!

We are driving to the ship, so we don't have to worry about extra checked luggage, so that helps. My big issue was lugging a heavy carseat around with us on the beach and through shops. So my solution was to buy a lightweight Costco booster seat from KMart for about $14. It's for children 30-100 pounds and 36" - ?". (My daughter is 32 pounds and 38".)

Since we're bringing a stroller and my mom, who will be in a wheelchair when we're in ports, I've got bungee cords that I can use to attach the booster seat to the back of the stroller or possibly the wheelchair.

Another option would be to take your normal car seat and get a car seat bag that you carry like a backpack, or that has wheels like a rolling suitcase. I forget the name and brand, but you can find them online at eBay or amazon.

Lady Jag is right, if at all possible, get a smaller seat, like a vest or a booster to take with you.

In places like Freeport, you will need a car seat because there is nothing to do at the port. So odds are pretty high that you will need a taxi. And if you need a taxi, then the kids should really be using some type of seat.

Nassau - you can get away with no seat by taking the water taxi or sticking close to the port, but that's no fun. ;)

Half Moon Cay - won't need one at all

Turks - haven't been there yet but don't they have a pool and cruise facility at the port? If that's the case and you are staying in the port then you won't need one.

I saw that booster seat at kmart. I just need to make sure that he is big enough for it. I think my almost 5 yr old will be o.k with seat belt. Don't you? That is a great idea about the bungie cords. Thanks! I am looking for an umbrella stroller that is durable and has a nice storage basket. I think I want one that reclines to for naps. any suggestions?? Are you taking your little one to alantis? thanks

ladyjag and cruisinmama,

Are there any other tips for my family that you think would be helpful? I was wondering what parents do about taking kids sand toys and stuff on the beach. Just put them in a big beach bag? What about beach towels do we need to bring them?

I saw that booster seat at kmart. I just need to make sure that he is big enough for it. I think my almost 5 yr old will be o.k with seat belt. Don't you? That is a great idea about the bungie cords. Thanks! I am looking for an umbrella stroller that is durable and has a nice storage basket. I think I want one that reclines to for naps. any suggestions?? Are you taking your little one to alantis? thanks

If you want one that reclines and has storage, then you will need to find a "deluxe" umbrella stroller. We got one similar to this one at Wal-Mart for about $30 - http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Cosco-Fun-Zone-Juvenile-Comfort-Ride-Plus-Stroller/3864901/product.html?sec_iid=33972

Keep in mind the storage isn't as expansive, and the seat doesn't recline ALL the way back like a regular stroller, but it folds compactly and we make good use of it in the theme parks. We always bring a couple of receiving blankets and clothes pins so that at nap time, we can make a "privacy curtain" to block out all the visual stimulation outside the stroller.

I think your 5-year-old will be fine with a seat belt, as long as he's not small for his age.

Edited to Add: We've been to Nassau enough times that we're going to stay on the ship that day. We're not going to be there long anyway (8AM-2PM), so I thought we'd take the little one to the mini golf course and kiddie pool and just go exploring with her so she can get used to the ship.

ladyjag and cruisinmama,

Are there any other tips for my family that you think would be helpful? I was wondering what parents do about taking kids sand toys and stuff on the beach. Just put them in a big beach bag? What about beach towels do we need to bring them?

I'm an overpacker and proud of it! I plan to bring my own beach towels, because I don't trust myself to keep up with three $22-if-lost cruise ship beach towels. :eek:

I'm also going to bring a beach bucket and shovel and maybe a couple of sand molds (from the dollar store), which I'll carry in a mesh laundry bag (also from the dollar store) so that I don't have to worry so much about carrying the sandy beach back to the stateroom with me.

When we go to the theme parks, I always bring a change of clothes for my DD in a zip top bag, just in case, so I'll probably do the same at our ports. If we're going to stay out late at St. Thomas (we'll be docked there until 10PM), then I'll bring a zip top bag with Little One's PJ's in it instead. That way, we can put her in her PJ's before we head back to the ship, and if she falls asleep before we get back to the cabin, we won't have to wake her up just to put her to bed.

I'm not sure how helpful they'll be in foreign countries due to country codes and sketchy cell phone service, but whenever we go out of town, we put a temporary tattoo on our daughter that says "If Lost, please call: [our cell phone #]." You can order a pack of them in various designs from www.safetytat.com.

I just got a SafeGuard Go carseat for our travels this summer. It only weighs 9 pounds and can fold up into a travel bag. It can be used as a five-point harness as long as there is a top-tether in the car. It can also transform into a backless booster.

We've been using it in my husband's car, and it's working out fine. It fits my son well. He is 42 pounds and 41 inches.

I know the cabs in Cozumel and Grand Cayman will have seat belts, but will they have top tethers?

If there is no top tether, I will just use the seat as a booster.

ladyjag and cruisinmama,

No I don't pack towel. You are on Carnival and they provide beach towels. But just make sure you keep track of them. ;)

I go tot he dollar store and get SMALL sand toys. I have heard of some parents just leaving them on the ship for other kids.

And yes, we have beach bag tote bags. The nylon kind with the pull strings.

The booster from KMart is good. And yes, for a 5 year old, I would probably just use the seatbelt.

I think the chances of finding a taxi with a top tether on the islands are slim.

We have a Ride Safer Travel Vest, there are two sizes, my daughter is just growing into the smaller size so I'm only familiar with the miminim requreiments for the size small, which I believe is 38" tall and 35#. Any child that is under these limits needs to be in a carseat, imho. It is a vest the child wears and the seatbelt hooks to the vest. You need either a combination lap/shoulder seatbelt, or if you have a lap belt only you need a top tether. We really love this product. We use them in grandmas car and for carpooling with preschoolers, and will be taking them on our Alaska cruise this summer. I'm firmly in the "don't budge an inch without the carseat" camp.

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/ (manufacturer)

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Safe-Traffic-Systems-Ride-Safer-Travel-Vest.pro?gclid=CLHPloeS95kCFSMgDQodNka7wA (retailer)

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I think I might bring a little mesh bag with some beach toys b/c my kids love to play in the sand. I am definately going to get that stroller b/c thats a great price and it has everything I want. I have a cheaper umbrella stroller and the wheels always get stuck and won't turn properly. Did you have any issues with that one? I really appreciate all the tips:)

Archived