All Things FREEDOM

jbroons

I so envy anyone going on the Freedom!! Just returning myself last week and it was the best cruise!! Beautiful ship and awesome service!! We had Igor as our Head waiter, awesome awesome!! Go to the disco and find Jose and tell him Tina said hello.. he is the greatest bar waiter!!

Just remember like a previous poster said, Go with the flow... don't try to do everything your first cruise, there is NO way, lol!! And be prepared you will be addicted after your cruise, lol

I cannot wait for the addiction to kick in Tina.....come with!! We have room for you;) I will jot those names down, as well as yours....Thank you!!!

Now don't temp me!! LOL if I knew I could/would have got away with it, I wouldn't hid on the ship and continue cruising!!:p

Be prepared to find some friends..you children will leave you stranded.. I always see my kids at breakfast and then make them have dinner with me every evening.. at sea days that is.. and we always get to hang together in the ports. Make sure to update us when you return.

Hi we have taken our first cruise this past January 10th on the Liberty which is Freedom's big sister. Both are Conquest class ships so share the same footprint, interior colors and design themes are the only differences.

We will be taking the Freedom on two cruises back to back starting January 30, 2010 and part 2 on February 7, 2010

DH and I are on the Freedom 2/7/10 as well. We are doing a 3 day Bahamas cruise just before. I started a roll call, but have'nt had any responses yet. This will be our first time on the Freedom.

Hi we have taken our first cruise this past January 10th on the Liberty which is Freedom's big sister. Both are Conquest class ships so share the same footprint, interior colors and design themes are the only differences.

We will be taking the Freedom on two cruises back to back starting January 30, 2010 and part 2 on February 7, 2010.

One thing I learned after my first cruise are the following:

• pack light - everyone says it and they are right! Even though there is tons of storage in your stateroom, you will really only need your forma wear for formal night(s), swim wear, a few shirts or blouses, etc etc. Thee are published lists - too much I feel though...you will be the best judge after your first cruise.
  • once you are at the cruise terminal - consider checking your carry-on luggage too. Once on board your room won't be ready and Carnival invites you to go and have a bite to eat. No room at your table for carry-on and for 4 people...believe me!
  • Grab a beverage of your choice scope out a spot to watch the sail away! Have your camera ready!
  • Free style dining in the formal dining rooms for breakfast and lunch is far better than the buffets. The lido buffets have good food, but it is really busy with lots of hustle and bustle - if that is ok with you, you may prefer the more casual experience. I am not a morning person so the dining room was quieter and more relaxed.

Depending upon your personalities, you may or may not want to study the deck plans of the Freedom on carnival.com. Exploring the ship is fascinating and it is easy to get "lost"! :) For example the Posh the formal dining room aft (rear) can only be accessed by taking the rear most elevators or staircases even though it spans decks 3, and 4. Best way to get there is to take Promenade Deck (5) to the rear (aft) of the ship and take either the stairs or elevator. It won't be a problem if you are assigned the "Chic" Dining Room which is the smaller of the formal rooms and spans decks 3 and 4 but is found in the center of the ship.

And the best piece of advice I have taken to heart and totally agree...is...relax and go with the flow. Carnival has everything down to a science, but if something is wrong or you can't go with the flow, let them know...go to the Guest Services (Pursers desk) and politely let them know what is wrong - they truly try to help.

What you learn this cruise will help you with your next. For example, choosing your category of stateroom and location.

Have fun! :D

Good advice. Except checking a carry on.

Your carry on luggage (or at least mine) contains one-two days of clothes..meds..money, camera, cash, travelers checks, boarding docs, cell phone, and passports. It doesn't leave my sight. I could live with lost luggage but my lost 'purse' would be disaster.

If you're female (I'm not) would you check your purse too?

Good advice. Except checking a carry on.

Your carry on luggage (or at least mine) contains one-two days of clothes..meds..money, camera, cash, travelers checks, boarding docs, cell phone, and passports. It doesn't leave my sight. I could live with lost luggage but my lost 'purse' would be disaster.

If you're female (I'm not) would you check your purse too?

Yes you are right about all the important stuff in your carry on. I just hated carting it around while waiting for the room to be ready. When we tried to have our lunch we were tripping over our carry on - 4 people in a booth with carry on didn't work out well.

I'm taking my first cruise in April with my two daughters (15 & 17:eek:)...on Freedom!

Whoever has fun stories, good insight, suggestions, pictures...whatever...please share with us. Thanks!! We're psyched!!

The mini golf was a blast, there is an arcade, lots of trivia and pool side fun, the big screen tv on deck - they'll love it!

Yes you are right about all the important stuff in your carry on. I just hated carting it around while waiting for the room to be ready. When we tried to have our lunch we were tripping over our carry on - 4 people in a booth with carry on didn't work out well.

I know people always want to get on ship early..but I've found showing up just a bit later is much more relaxing. It's far more relaxing to show up at 12 or 1..after the big rush for boarding.

We've done a rental car....showed up at port and checked luggage..then went back and returned rental...got on board via taxi about 1pm..luggage was in cabin, all was good.

Yeah the lunch buffet is good, but not worth, IMHO, showing up hours before your checked luggage is in your cabin, or hanging about with all the early birds in lines for a hour or more that flood the terminal.

We are sailing the Freedom Nov 7/09. I have yet to see any reviews based on the 8 day sailing. Is this a new route? We go to St. Thomas, Antigua, Nassau, San Juan and Tortola. Has anyone done that, would love a link to a review.

TIA!

I know people always want to get on ship early..but I've found showing up just a bit later is much more relaxing. It's far more relaxing to show up at 12 or 1..after the big rush for boarding.

We've done a rental car....showed up at port and checked luggage..then went back and returned rental...got on board via taxi about 1pm..luggage was in cabin, all was good.

Yeah the lunch buffet is good, but not worth, IMHO, showing up hours before your checked luggage is in your cabin, or hanging about with all the early birds in lines for a hour or more that flood the terminal.

Actually we checked in around 12:30 pm as we had a Carnival transfer from our hotel that was booked through Carnival cruise air. At embarkation they said that the room wouldn't be ready until 1:30-2 pm. They told us to go have a bite to eat...we were hungry so we ate. Lunch buffet, you are right was good but really for the hassle...no. :D ...having the experience now, I'd rather grab a drink and relax - we can always grab a bite later once we get all the luggage and things stowed away! :)

We are sailing the Freedom Nov 7/09. I have yet to see any reviews based on the 8 day sailing. Is this a new route? We go to St. Thomas, Antigua, Nassau, San Juan and Tortola. Has anyone done that, would love a link to a review.

TIA!

I was just about to ask the same thing! I am doing the 8 day Eastern on June 20 and haven really see any reviews. I wouldd love to see capers if anyone has them.:)

I was just about to ask the same thing! I am doing the 8 day Eastern on June 20 and haven really see any reviews. I wouldd love to see capers if anyone has them.:)

Wow Shenika I am hoping that we are not going on a new route! Oh well if not then I will await your return for a review! :D

My kids are so excited they can barely talk about anything. We just found out that our 19 yr old daughter will be bringing her friend along instead of her boyfriend (:p) I am so happy at her choice. We really like her best friend and are not so fond of her boyfriend. My youngest boys can't stop talking about it. Since we live in Canada its gonna be a nice trip!

My wife and I just book the April, 2009 Freedom Eastern Caribbean cruise. We have been on a couple of other cruises, but this is the longest.

I see we are on the Riviera Deck (pretty low down) Ocean View. Any comments on differences of different decks?

Wow Shenika I am hoping that we are not going on a new route! Oh well if not then I will await your return for a review! :D

My kids are so excited they can barely talk about anything. We just found out that our 19 yr old daughter will be bringing her friend along instead of her boyfriend (:p) I am so happy at her choice. We really like her best friend and are not so fond of her boyfriend. My youngest boys can't stop talking about it. Since we live in Canada its gonna be a nice trip!

I will be sure to post a review when I get back. As of right now I'm not planning on taking my laptop but I will take notes so I can write down the highlights!

My wife and I just book the April, 2009 Freedom Eastern Caribbean cruise. We have been on a couple of other cruises, but this is the longest.

I see we are on the Riviera Deck (pretty low down) Ocean View. Any comments on differences of different decks?

In a popular ship-disaster movie, the people on the lower decks didn't make it off the ship;)....my daughter loves that movie & this was a huge concern for her; that's why we are on Freedom's Empress level!! I have also read something about motion sickness being more of an issue @ the lower levels.

While this may be a new route to the Freedom it is not new to Carnival. We sailed this route in 2007 on the Liberty minus the Nassau stop. It was very nice, and was one of the reasons we booked it again..

In a popular ship-disaster movie, the people on the lower decks didn't make it off the ship;)....my daughter loves that movie & this was a huge concern for her; that's why we are on Freedom's Empress level!! I have also read something about motion sickness being more of an issue @ the lower levels.

It's actually just the opposite....Best place to avoid sickness, lower deck, middle of the ship. The higher you go, the more the "sway" and the chance of sea sickness.

It's actually just the opposite....Best place to avoid sickness, lower deck, middle of the ship. The higher you go, the more the "sway" and the chance of sea sickness.

Are you sure??? Now rethinking.:rolleyes:

Yes....this is the rule of thumb.

Higher - more side to side motion, Farther aft/forward - more up and down rocking

I don't think it is really noticible most of the time between the stabilizers and size of the ship. Most people adjust to the slight movement rather quickly.

If you experience rougher seas then you can feel it!!!

Personally, I like it higher up.....if the ship is rocking I sleep so well!! LOVE the swaying!

Yes....this is the rule of thumb.

Higher - more side to side motion, Farther aft/forward - more up and down rocking

I don't think it is really noticible most of the time between the stabilizers and size of the ship. Most people adjust to the slight movement rather quickly.

If you experience rougher seas then you can feel it!!!

Personally, I like it higher up.....if the ship is rocking I sleep so well!! LOVE the swaying!

Bad news for me! I got automatically upgraded to the Panorama deck (Which means automatic Forward). I wanted to be on the upper or empress deck but it's ok. I have a strong stomach.

I don't think you have to worry - Freedom is such a large ship, we hardly felt any motion - maybe once during rough seas in the main theatre. (forward) Otherwise, maybe a gentle rocking in our cabin. Our cabins on one cruise were pretty far bow (deck 6) and the second time pretty far aft.(decj 7) Loved them both - no problems with seasickness, and dh gets woozy on a train!

Bad news for me! I got automatically upgraded to the Panorama deck (Which means automatic Forward). I wanted to be on the upper or empress deck but it's ok. I have a strong stomach.

The Panorama Deck is my favorite on the Conquest Class!!!!! I am booked in one on the Liberty next month....there were no triples left when I booked the Freedom.....My first choice would be Panorama, next Lido and next Empress.

Archived