East side of Cozumel

:)Going on Freedom April 26th and would like to visit the east side of the island. Any suggestion on where to go. Also if its better to get a cab for the duration or hire a private driver (does anyone have one that they may of used?). Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks.

countdown.pl?name=bravebabe&date=4-26-2009&image=Beach-10&text=&ship=Freedom of the Seas

Rent a car from Ace--about $13-14. Insurance another $9 or 10.

Right across from the pier.

Only way to do it. Can stop at all the good bars on the wild side-Coconuts, etc.

I went to Cozumel in the 90s, and we went to one of those timeshare talks and got a voucher for a car for the day. We drove around the whole island, and stopped at Playa Bonita. Swam there and had lunch on the beach.

If you can rent a car do it. Just drive along the coast and stop where it seems nice. I'm sure that side of the island is really built up. I enjoyed riding some waves for a change. :)

Also, ask someone if you can go left when you reach the other side of the island (the main road cuts straight across and then turns right and circles the south end and back up the west side). If you turned left when you hit the "beach", there was a bar out there all by itself, with hammocks and raggae music. Was pretty cool. Not sure if that road is closed or not these days.

be sure to spend the extra few dollars on insurance.

Head south, ride around the entire souther tip of the island, when you turn back north, the shore line is just plain beautiful!!

Working the brain to remember the bar/restaurant we stopped at...sorry cannot but.....it is at the junction where the road turns sharp left to take you straight back across the island.

Ice cold beer, wonderful food, super beach.....great kick back kinda day..and very few tourists.....

Enjoy!!!!!

But don't tell too many people...keep that side of the island tourist free for as long as possible.

We were in Cozumel for a week last March and went to Coconuts twice. It would be best to rent a car, the drive is beautiful. The restaurant is very laid back and we loved it. The views were amazing (it is on a cliff over looking a beach) and the food was good.

We will definitely head back one day. I have attached some pictures we took (hopefully it worked.) Unfortunately, we don't have many because we dropped our camera and somehow it deleted the majority of our pictures on the last day:eek:...we were very upset (as you can imagine.)

Have fun in Cozumel!

014.jpg.6e85282f8a943970742668fa7aa96089.jpg

013.jpg.c60eb2a2b5f50e5d6a4c996a99a865af.jpg

017.jpg.c8965cb8d4323a86af9dc183882a6984.jpg

I forgot to mention the raggae beach bar. It has great margaritas and is in a beautiful location. No swimming there, but very nice to walk along and there is a blow hole very near it. The bar has hammocks to lay in and, though the restaurant doesn't look that fabulous, it is like something you would see in a movie.

I put a couple photos of that part of the island as well. In one picture you will see a building in the background...that is the raggae beach bar.

(By the way, if you drive around the island you can't miss it...there is only one road and all the beach restaurants or on it.)

007.jpg.a4681cd908b810ce6abef38ac6d707ea.jpg

003.jpg.f935fd117b628d48ffa3b52bd90fafdc.jpg

I think the Reggae bar is called Rasta's. Great drinks but we have never eaten there. Further along the road before you get to Coconuts is a place called Chen Rio. There is a little cove area for swimming and it is a good place for kids to swim. They have wonderful seafood.

If you have time you can go right when you come to the turn and go out to an old light house at the tip of the island. Very beautiful but no food or drink. It added about an hour and a half to the trip.

One caution is to make sure to watch what you eat and drink. My husband has a strong stomach but gets sick whenever he eats in Mexico, including Cozumel. The rest of the family can eat the same thing and be fine. He makes sure he eats well before he gets off the ship.

Renting a car or jeep is the way to go. It is an easy drive and it is hard to get lost.

We are planning to do this on our trip in March but are wondering if Cozumel has been having any trouble like we are seeing in the rest of Mexico?

We visited Cozumel in '07.

Rented a car right there at the dock, drove through town (careful, the streets are like grids and the locals speed through the intersections like lightning.) We took the road that cuts across the middle of the island, stopped at the Tequila Museum (kind of a ripoff) and along the coast until we hit Coconuts. We really enjoyed it there, the food and Margaritas were good, didn't upset our stomachs at all. The beaches along there are empty compared to the touristy spots, but the water is rough.

So I discussed this with my DH and we are going to rent a car and do the loop around the east side and hit all these great sounding places! We cannot wait! Thanks everyone for the info, it is so helpful having this message board....my next question is grand cayman, anyone do any snorkeling outside of the stingray stuff?

Archived