Currency Question regarding Egypt

rmebda

My husband and I will be travelling on RCI Brilliance of the Seas in May. All of our ports of call have the Euro as their currency besides one: Alexandria Egypt.

Are Euros accepted "on the street" in shops or vendors at all in Egypt? Or will we need to convert to the Egyptian pound? And where is the best place to exchange currency? (We're from Bermuda so we won't be travelling with US dollars unless it's necessary).

Euros will work most everywhere... but in turkey and egypt---i would suggest changing some money into thier currency. not sure where- don't think that is the biggest concern. but turkish lira and egyptian lbs are worth more. we got like $100US worth of euros in airport in barcelona. then got more on the streets in barcelona and rome and greece. all have safe looking BANK atm's. but if you get turkish lira and egyptian lbs====think you will end up paying less for souveniors there.

My husband and I will be travelling on RCI Brilliance of the Seas in May. All of our ports of call have the Euro as their currency besides one: Alexandria Egypt.

Are Euros accepted "on the street" in shops or vendors at all in Egypt? Or will we need to convert to the Egyptian pound? And where is the best place to exchange currency? (We're from Bermuda so we won't be travelling with US dollars unless it's necessary).

All the tourist areas in Egypt are more than happy to accept Euros or US$. In fact, when we were there, a lot of the street vendors wanted either 1E or US$1 for whatever small trinket they were selling. So in fact you were getting it cheaper for US$.

But actually, don't obsess about saving 30 cents! Take some small Euro coins or US$1 bills, a few larger bills in either currency, and your credit card and you will have no problem in Egypt.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

The only issue I can think of with euros is that the 1 euro and 2 euro coins may not be as welcomed by Egyptians as it is harder for them to exchange coins than bills. That means you may give over a 5 euro note and get change in Egyptian pounds.....may or may not be a problem for you.

The only issue I can think of with euros is that the 1 euro and 2 euro coins may not be as welcomed by Egyptians as it is harder for them to exchange coins than bills. That means you may give over a 5 euro note and get change in Egyptian pounds.....may or may not be a problem for you.

exactly. they can't exchange the coins ever to get a 5 Euro note. when they get them they have to get tourist to exchange them.(I bought two one euro coins for one of the guides from them...)

Hey fellow Bermudian! We were on NCL Jade 14 days Med cruise Xmas/New Year 2 mos ago and the ship docked in Alexandria for 2 days. I did use an ATM machine and got US$100 worth of Egyptian pounds but ended up spending most if it in tips to the coach driver (we were on the Best of Cairo Overnight tour). After reading CC, we collected about fifty US$1 bills and some US$5 bills and they were so useful. So start collecting them! Good and clean bills please.

Be prepared ... Egypt is sooooo dirty - a FAR cry from this beautiful island. But it was a holiday for us to see other places and cultures and we loved it.

The ship is US$ based so take plenty of US$ if you are planning on doing some gambling. For the ports of calls we used Euros - we bought a lot of them from the Bank of Bermuda - good exchange rate and very low tax - cheaper than when you buy them in Europe or ship. Just watch the rate daily - we were fortunate to have picked the date to buy Euros as it turned out it was the day of best rate!

I assume you are sailing out of Barcelona - take my advice - don't use credit cards in restaurants - pay cash. Also, don't forget to tell the banks you're travelling!!

ENJOY!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi

We are going to Alexandria, Egypt for two nights in October. Our ship (Celebrity) offers shore excursions but would it be less expensive to book the tour in Alexandria because of the currency? Were several tours companies :Davailable to go to Cairo as you left on your excursion? Where is the best place to sightsee now that you have completed your trip. It would be so helpful to get your input!!

Thanks

The Goodes

Hi

We are going to Alexandria, Egypt for two nights in October. Our ship (Celebrity) offers shore excursions but would it be less expensive to book the tour in Alexandria because of the currency? Were several tours companies :Davailable to go to Cairo as you left on your excursion? Where is the best place to sightsee now that you have completed your trip. It would be so helpful to get your input!!

Thanks

The Goodes

HMMM -- I'll try to answer these.

1) Playing currency games is seldom worthwhile. But in general it is less expensive to book with an independent than use the ship's tours. The usual caveats apply. Ship's tours offer the extra security of knowing the shore excursion staff aboard is looking after you.

2) There are many good companies in Egypt. This board will list several.

3) The best place to sightsee? There are soooo many. The great pyramids are #1 on most people's list. After that ... other pyramids, Nile cruise, Egyptian museum, the mosques, the bazaar ... you have to pick to fill the limited time you have.

There is lots and lots and lots of info on this board. Read it all.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

One more point.. waiting until you get to Alexandria is not the best idea. The way this works is that most companies don't have permanent tour guides but book tours and then bid them out to their selected guides who actually bid for the right to lead a tour. The best guides will be selected by the tour companies and what is left over at the dock can be hit and miss. The amount you pay to have the tour company do the tour almost all goes to the tour company. That is why tips are so important as well as stopping at the papyrus, perfume and pottery shops(cartuoche purchases too) . They pay 40% or so of your purchase to the tour guides.

Archived