proof of citizenship question

We are going through legal channels to get this sorted out, but until we get our answer, was just wondering what your experiences with this may be.

One of our friends who is booked on our cruise is having trouble getting a new certified copy of his birth certificate. Long story short, his mom hasn't been honest with him about some things.

The question I have is: Is there any other acceptable form of proof of cititzenship other than a birth certificate? He is military. We booked our cruise with a military rate. Carnival says that his drivers license and his military id are acceptable forms of proof of citizenship to board the ship. Has anyone else used the military id and drivers license to board the ship?

Thanks so much for any information you may have.

Military ID are NOT proof of citizenship (you don't need to be a citizen to serve). They are however valid for photo ID.

They may still be good enough for a cruise, I'd check with Homeland Security to be certain.

The US has all kinds of military personel that are not US citizens.

If the cruise date ends before June 1, 2009, you should be fine with a driver's licence.

Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov.

The US has all kinds of military personel that are not US citizens.

If the cruise date ends before June 1, 2009, you should be fine with a driver's licence.

Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov.

Unless it has changed, my Active Duty Military I.D. had my citizenship on it. Also, while my son was Active Duty, they told him his I.D. acted as his passport, so it must be good for identification purposes.

At the new CBP website, http://www.getyouhome.gov, it says "US Citizens on active duty with the US armed forces will be able to present military ID if accompanied by travel orders. (emphasis is mine).

I'm certainly no expert, but it reads to me as if a military ID is NOT sufficient proof of citizenship when travelling on vacation.

To the OP: a call to the CBP might help clarify things. You have a somewhat unusual situation. All the advice you get here won't help a bit, if your friend is denied boarding or worse, denied re-entry into the US.

It seems silly that a member of the US military might be denied entry, but, hey, this is the government we're talking about. :)

Paul

Its been a while since I got my passport...but I actually...don't remember having to show a Birth Certificate for it....I could sworn I just used my DL. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Anyhow...the Passport system seems to be un-bottle necked at this point...and moving fairly well again. To all people at this point...I would suggest just getting a passport.

Its been a while since I got my passport...but I actually...don't remember having to show a Birth Certificate for it....I could sworn I just used my DL. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Anyhow...the Passport system seems to be un-bottle necked at this point...and moving fairly well again. To all people at this point...I would suggest just getting a passport.

Sorry, but you are wrong. You have to send your BC in with your passport application. I ordered a couple of extra BCs so that I'd have them in case my passport app (along with my BC) got lost.

People - go to the US Dept of State website for info on applying for a passport. Please don't take the word of people on a message board.

And why would his mother being less than honest have any impact on him applying for a certified BC from whatever state he was born in?

:confused:

Is he using a name that doesn't match his BC? I've never understood how people can get an SS#, a DL, and all sorts of other "official" documents and then have problems later with their BC. Don't you need your BC for all these other things?

My friend was trying to order his birth certificate thru vitlachek(sp?). That's when they came back saying they needed more information because the name he gave them and the one on the birth certificate were different. The only information that his mom would give him was that she changed his name. He was finally able to find out she never changed it through the court. She still has never admitted to not changing it legally. The story he has been able to piece together is that his parents divorced when he was a baby and 'someone' drew a line through his fathers name and through his middle name and last name and then wrote in a new middle and last name for him - the name he has gone by his entire life. Every govt agency we have accepts him with the rewritten name. How he was able to fall through the cracks all these years is beyond me. So now, after dealing extensively with the state & the court, he was given permission to have the name he has lived with all his life put on his birth certificate. He's now able to get his passport. These last few days have been stressful on him waiting to hear the outcome of all this. He hasn't been too happy about going through all this but he's glad he found out when he did so that he had the time to get things taken care of because he is really looking forward to his first cruise.

We are going through legal channels to get this sorted out, but until we get our answer, was just wondering what your experiences with this may be.

One of our friends who is booked on our cruise is having trouble getting a new certified copy of his birth certificate. Long story short, his mom hasn't been honest with him about some things.

The question I have is: Is there any other acceptable form of proof of cititzenship other than a birth certificate? He is military. We booked our cruise with a military rate. Carnival says that his drivers license and his military id are acceptable forms of proof of citizenship to board the ship. Has anyone else used the military id and drivers license to board the ship?

Thanks so much for any information you may have.

A military ID is NOT proof of citizenship. Plenty of non-citizens are in the U.S. military.

The only things that are accepted by U.S. Immigration and Homeland Security is a state-issued birth certificate or a passport.

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/

He will be denied boarding if he doesn't have one of these documents.

A military ID is NOT proof of citizenship. Plenty of non-citizens are in the U.S. military.

The only things that are accepted by U.S. Immigration and Homeland Security is a state-issued birth certificate or a passport.

Beginning January 31' date=' 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/

He will be denied boarding if he doesn't have one of these documents.[/quote']

Yea, what she said. :) Basically you need to prove two things: 1)Identity and 2)Citizenship. The military ID will satisfy the proof of identity but he'll still need that birth certificate to get a passport.

Archived