Thinking of trying RCCL

Hello all, I have been on Carnival twice, NCL twice (about to be 3rd time this May), Disney and the old Big Red Boat. Now thinking of booking on RCCL for this winter or next spring. I would like to sail out of NJ (DW hates flying and coming from SE MA it is easy to get to) and am wondering what you think I might like with RCCL as opposed to the others I have sailed on...and what I might not be as fond of looking for honest pros and cons). If I do book a cruise it will be with my DW, DD (13), DS (20) and DS (23) and his GF.

Any insights you can offer will be very much appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Alan D

Hello all, I have been on Carnival twice, NCL twice (about to be 3rd time this May), Disney and the old Big Red Boat. Now thinking of booking on RCCL for this winter or next spring. I would like to sail out of NJ (DW hates flying and coming from SE MA it is easy to get to) and am wondering what you think I might like with RCCL as opposed to the others I have sailed on...and what I might not be as fond of looking for honest pros and cons). If I do book a cruise it will be with my DW, DD (13), DS (20) and DS (23) and his GF.

Thanks,

Alan D

Set up a mail to RCCL and tell them the same...You mighte be luckey and recive a good deal..All cruiseliners is fighting very hard to get new pax - firsttimers to their fleet.

We have done several cruises and find RCCl best value for money when we travel with kids. The activity level is high and the way of cruising is casual.

I think you will find Carnival and RCI to be very similar. There are people here who are loyal to both, but I'm like you...I've tried more than one line and like them all! On these lines you just have to determine what is important to you...the ports, the ships. Go on which you like better. I don't think you will be disappointed in RCI.

Thanks,

Alan D

If you want to sail out of NY it would be on the Explorer. Your kids will love the Explorer, there will be plenty of young people their age on the ship, it is a very popular sailing with repeat cruisers. The difference with the Explorer would be the large promenade and the ice rink. Now you can request My Time Dining on Royal and that makes it similiar to NCL in that regard. The big difference is that Royal is usually higher than NCL per diem. I think you will all be very happy on the Explorer.

I joined some family friends on Explorer in August 08. We had three generations in the group, including 4 boys ages 10-15. This was the family's third trip on Explorer. There is so much to do on the ship, both for adults and kids. We never once heard the dreaded "I'm bored," from any of the kids. The boys went to Johnny Rockets once, but otherwise we didn't do any of the upcharge dining venues. Explorer is a beautiful ship, I hope you enjoy it.

What I love about RCCL is that their ships are drop-dead, breath-takingly, heart-meltingly gorgeous. The other lines I've been on are NCL (OK) and HAL (ho-hum). Got2Cruise is absolutely right about Explorer, your whole family will love it. Anywhere you look, you'll find interesting artwork and elegant design, and the Promenade, flanked by beautiful sweeping staircases on both ends, is always a fun place to hang out, possibly with some coffee and finger food. Crivens, I wish I were there now!

As you will note from my signature, I'm a former - and once very loyal - Carnival cruiser. I tried Royal to take advantage of a special deal and to satisfy my curiousity.

As you will also note from my signature, I've sailed on Royal ever since.

The reasons? While I like Carnival and would sail her again, I found her older ships to be poorly maintained. My first cruise on Royal was on an older ship that seemed brand new to me. RCCL keeps their fleet extremely well maintained. No burnt orange decor, no sewage odor in the halls, no ripped up mini-golf course...everything seems like-new.

Royal usually presents at least one "celebrity" entertainer on her ships. Beatlemania was featured on my first Royal Caribbean cruise and it was incredible. I'd seen it years earlier in NYC and the cruise version did not disappoint. It was obviously shorter, but just as good.

You'll really like the Voyager class ships. Don't miss the ice show or the parades in the Royal Promendade. The parades are only about 15 minutes long, but they are huge productions and surprisingly uplifting for the spectators. The 70s dance party is also hugely fun.

I find there's more ACTIVE activities available on Royal. Yeah, they have Bingo too, but there seemed to be more choices for those of us who can only handle sitting in a lounge chair for so long before getting up and DOING something.

I think you'll like Royal. I'll return to Carnival for shorter cruises, as they have some really good deals. But for longer cruises, I suspect I'll stick with Royal for as long as I can afford to. I really prefer the product they offer.

Another suggestion. Read some of the reviews posted under the "Reviews" in the orange banner at the top of the page on Cruise Critic. For example someone suggested the Explorer (which we think is a great ship... as said by others lots to do for all ages) check out the reviews... you will read a lot about the ship and also different viewpoints. We, also, have cruised and enjoyed Carnival and really love RCCL. Whatever you chose to do, enjoy!

I do hope you try Royal Caribbean, it is always nice to try different ships and lines. Once you find one that you really like you will probably stick with them.

Like other posters said, The Explorer sails out of Cape Liberty, and it is a lovely and very big ship. They have a great kids program and lots of things to do. Of course they have their famous rock climbing wall, they have a basketball court, they have the usual ping pong and poolside stuff going on during sea days. A card room a library and a computer area. Sometimes they have cooking demos in the atrium. During the day they have quiet time in the Viking Crown Lounge, you can read a book, listen your ipod (with earphones of course) or just meet a friend for a nice quiet conversation. Gosh there are just so many things to do. And of course on the Promenade they have the Promenade cafe, they offer pizza, coffee, small sandwiches and cookies and I believe it is 24 hours a day.

I hope you decide to book a cruise on the Explorer and that you find it so wonderful that you will return to RCI again and again for your cruise vacations. We have cruised many, many times with them and canhardly wait to go again.

Annieeee

Alan,

I am going to tell you it's a flat-out no-brainer...

I have cruised on seven different cruise lines--including Carnival, Premier Big Red Boat and Norwegian...

Royal Caribbean blows those away...

We actually did the Royal Caribbean Libberty of the Seas and the Carnival Liberty back-to-back in June/July 2007...

When you cruise two different ships back-to-back, you really can see the differences...We quickly realized there was not a single criterion by which Royal Caribbean didn't far surpass Carnival...

First of all, the Carnival ship, compred to RCCL, was WAY TOO overcrowded...Lines for everything...you had to get to the showroom way in advance just to get a seat...RCCL is far better at accommodating the people onboard (and has much better space-to-passenger ratios)...Service on Carnival was TERRIBLE compared to the great service on RCCL (But, yes, if you cruise Carnival in a vacuum, you may not notice this)...And RCCL ships are far NICER in terms of design, accessibility and decor...not to mention the FAR SUPERIOR amenities...

...especially when you are traveling with younger folks...ice rinks, rock climbing, (on the largest ships) surfing...and so much more...

Try it...you may never go back...

(I, for one, will never book another Carnival cruise)...

Good luck...

I have cruised on all different lines also but RCI was my favorite. We sailed on the Grandeur in January and it was terrible, food and service. I will not spend extra money on my next cruise and sail on RCI, they have the idea that they are above other lines. If they are comparable cost wise I may sail them again next year but at this time we have a very bad taste in our mouth.

Just returned from cruise on the Explorer. From MA too so love going out of NYC/NJ. We drove to Bayonne and parked...very easy. Have been on NCL (lots) , HAL, and Celebrity. I liked the Explorer a lot. We are used to the NCL freestyle and this suits us, but RCCL has My Time Dining which we did and it was great for us. I do not like seated dining times and do not like unknown tablemates. Food was very good...we felt like we ate too much! The ship is lovely and different. It reminds me more of a Las Vegas Hotel than a ship.

Ice show and other shows were good too. Staff very nice.

The whole experience was great and I would sail them again. Go and enjoy!

I have cruised on all different lines also but RCI was my favorite. We sailed on the Grandeur in January and it was terrible, food and service. I will not spend extra money on my next cruise and sail on RCI, they have the idea that they are above other lines. If they are comparable cost wise I may sail them again next year but at this time we have a very bad taste in our mouth.

My experience on the Grandeur was completely the opposite. Food, IMHO, was just as good as Carnivals or Disney and the staff was the best I've encountered. But, You'll see all sides and opinion here. Very subjective and may vary from table to table and sailing.

Best approach is to just try them all and you can come to your own conclusions. As most say. more similiar than different in most areas.

The Voyager and Freedom class ships on RCI obviously offer more bells and whistles, what you have to think about is if you will actually use those and be willing to pay a higher cost up front. If you can wait and air fare isn't a concern, then waiting 70 days out of so might get you some fantastic bargains on the RCI ships, some of those deals are for new bookings only, so booking early may not be to your advantage.

My past experience on the Grandeur was good, also, but the point I really want to make is that I will NOT pay a premium to sail on RCCL again.

I agree, I only travel on RCI when it's been discounted by either a special sales event, residency or military discount. Even though our junior suite on the Grandeur trip was still a few hundred more than a comparable Carnival trip, we only had a 3 hour drive to Norfolk which factored into our decision as we could avoid airfare or a much longer drive.

Archived