Children question

Will you like children next to your dining table?  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Will you like children next to your dining table?

• Yes, no problem
    • It´s fine if they´re not screaming
    • Only if they´re well behaved
    • I don´t think so
    • Noooo!

Hi everyone! I´m 35 and planing an Alaska cruise, and definetely one of our posibilities is a Royal Caribbean cruise. Would like to know if they´re family friendly (me, wife, my parents, 3 kids ages 6, 4 and 10 months old.

Hi everyone! I´m 35 and planing an Alaska cruise, and definetely one of our posibilities is a Royal Caribbean cruise. Would like to know if they´re family friendly (me, wife, my parents, 3 kids ages 6, 4 and 10 months old.

Take it easy. Bring the kids with you at all time....They deserve a good dinner :)

They learn a lot about food eating the same as the rest of the pary...

RCI is child friendly, but I believe your children have to be at least three to be in the kids club. (Some lines are age two, some are three.) There may be some "tots" activities planned, but I'm not sure on RCI. I would like to take my kids on our upcoming cruise, but my DH thinks they are still too young to remember anything...they are four and five.

I have to kids ages 10 and 14....dine out all the time and they are very used to it and very well behaved. With that said if I am sat next to a table of loud kids that don't know how to behave and have parents that let them act that way....I immediately asked to be moved.

I voted for the selection of kids are fine with me as long as they are not screaming.

We have 2 kids and although we didn't start cruising with them until they were much older, we see plenty of little ones on almost all of our cruises.

Once in a while you will have a family seated close that allows their kids to roam the dining area, or a cryer, but not often. My suggestion would be to teach your children in advance (if you haven't already) that they are not allowed out of their seats during dinner for safety reasons, lots of trays of hot food moving around, lots of glass that can come crashing down on them. Also, if your little one cries, please remove them from the dining area instead of trying to appease them until they quiet down. We did this with our kids and both of them learned before the age of 1 how to behave in a restaurant.

There are alternatives for you to enjoy a bit of adult time as well. Some feed the kids early a night or two and have them attend the childrens programs instead of going to dinner. Of course, this doesn't work for the littlest one, but there are babysitters for hire onboard.

Your kids will have a great time, you will too but will be a little exhausted from the extra work of vacationing with kids. For more hints, you might go to the Family Board here on CC :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

One final word is to ignore any negative remarks you may get here, some people just don't like kids and there is nothing you can write that will change their opinion. Just skim over the nasty posts.

We don't travel with kids and would not want them at our dining table. We usually book the 2nd seating or participate in the my time dining program if a ship has it. Nothing against kids and wouldn't make a big fuss if we were seated with kids, we would be pleasent and then asked to be moved the next night. Bring your kids! They will most likely seat you at a table that also has them.

I have kids, but when they're not with me, I'd prefer NOT to be with other folk's kids! Generally, they won't seat families with small children alongside couples without kids.

We've been seated along side families with kids several times...even at late seating.

I read people all the time telling folks to book late seating as there are fewer children at that time and wonder on every cruise why we see so many kids dining so late :confused:

We alway took out DS since he was 4 to the MDR, but he did not like it because it took to long to eat, plus he enjoyed the Kids Zone so much that we gave him dinner before either from room service of the WJ and took him to the Kids Program. He had a much better time and we had a nice dinner.

You just have to see how your kids hold up to 2 hours of dining.

I'm in a good position to answer this question. I have cruised both with kids and with adult friends. The two are very different types of vacations - both good.

My children are VERY well behaved at the diner table. Now I realize that I'm hardly capable of being objective. However, I can tell you that I do not tolerate impolite or disrespectful behavior. There is a place for cutting up and a place for behaving in a dignified manner. As adults, we recognize that it's perfectly okay to act one way at a bar or casual eatery, and another way to act in an upscale restaurant. I've tried to impress that on my children as well. They recognize that the dining room is an upscale restaurant from the moment the waiter places the napkins on their laps! (I still think that's wicked cool, which may speak to my level of sophistication!)

I'm fine with kids at my table or near-by, so long as they are well behaved.

On my last cruise, I once sat next to a table of eight kids. Their parents were sitting elsewhere, clearly not concerned with the actions of their offspring at the "kids' table". The kids thought it was hugely entertaining to run the poor waiter ragged, sending him for different selections after ordering something they didnt' like. Laughing loudly at his expense. It was horrible. It was humiliating for the waiter. It slowed service to all other diners in that section. I couldn't wait to finish eating and leave.

I don't like eating next to THAT sort of under-age crowd. Well-behaved, polite kids? No problems here.

wouldn't enjoy it if I had ill-mannered ones at my table. It depends on the kids' ages. I have way more patience for little ones. Older ones should know better. However, usually the apple doesn't fall from the tree. If Jr is chewing with his mouth wide open so is his mom and dad.

Our 2 kids have cruised with us every cruise. We never thought twice about it. My DD has cruised since she was 18 months old. We will all be diamond after our upcoming cruise. They have always eaten in the main dining room with us. If they had an issue, "we went for a walk" as to not bother others.

Most who ditch their kids to vacation don't like being around other peoples kids, because, I guess, it defeats the purpose in a way of getting away from the kids.

Wonder if the kids should start a poll asking " Do you mind sitting next to/with adult cruisers who dont know how, or refuse, to dress, act, or show up for dinner less than a half hour late in the main dining room while your expected to dress right and show proper manners and patience?"

Our 2 kids have cruised with us every cruise. We never thought twice about it. My DD has cruised since she was 18 months old. We will all be diamond after our upcoming cruise. They have always eaten in the main dining room with us. If they had an issue, "we went for a walk" as to not bother others.

Most who ditch their kids to vacation don't like being around other peoples kids, because, I guess, it defeats the purpose in a way of getting away from the kids.

Wonder if the kids should start a poll asking " Do you mind sitting next to/with adult cruisers who dont know how, or refuse, to dress, act, or show up for dinner less than a half hour late in the main dining room while your expected to dress right and show proper manners and patience?"

I am right there with you....wouldn't think of cruising without our 2 DD's. As a matter of fact we have only once vacationed without them and that was because it was our 20th...took a trip to Europe...loved it so much we just returned with them last summer....all we kept saying when we weren't with them was how much they would love it:o

In any case I do agree....there are adults....many adults:rolleyes:...who can be worse than children.....no wonder why some children don't know how to behave.

We will be cruising with our 2 children, ages 8 and 11, for the fourth time in 3 years this March. I agree that a childs behavior and ability to cope is a direct reflection of the parents. Parents who may have a screaming child should be courteous and remove the child from the dining area and go to the cabin for room service. Not that the child is getting his way, but it is rude to subject fellow passengers with your screaming nightmare. We have all been there before, at least once. I think if a child is well behaved they can add a lot of fun to the dinner table. Hey, they need a vacation too! If fellow passengers want a quiet dinner the can always opt to try one of the alternative rest. on the boat. Enjoy, and bring the kids, they will love it and so will you!!!

What a great opportunity for your kids and family. ALaska is beautiful. Cruising is so fun. You will have a great time. Don't worry about dining. RCCL is very family friendly.

It may be a good idea to send the dining reservations dept. a request to be seated at a table with another family, or alone if you prefer. I'd definitely request early dining if you haven't yet.

Likewise, if people prefer not to be seated with kids, they can request it.

Most people are happy to have kids around, or at least tolerate them as long as they aren't being disruptive.

Have a great time!

My 4 year old is going on her 7th cruise in June. My 9 year old her 8th cruise. :D So how do you think I answered the poll question? :p

Yes, of course bring them. ;)

We have an active family cruising board here at CC. Come on over to get tips about cruising with kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Probably if I never had children by choice and didn't want children around me for my adult time, I may understand not wanting them.

However, I've been a child, had a child and have grandchildren, so I say bring them along.

I have to say that a poorly behaved child is not welcome, though, and I hope the parents act accordingly. I knew exactly what was expected of me in all situations when I was a child.

Only IF they are WELL behaved AND If they act up, one of the parents needs to be responsible enough to remove the child from the dining room.

Definition of WELL BEHAVED - Sit in thier seat, eat thier food, without making a huge mess and no running around the dining room, before during or after the meal.

Probably if I never had children by choice and didn't want children around me for my adult time, I may understand not wanting them.

But those people who truly wanted an "adult only" experience would be either 1) sailing on a less family friendly line or 2)eating in the specialty dining restaurants like Portofino/Chops ;)

I ran into one cranky bitty on Indy who saw the Pirate Parade and commented "That's the reason I came on this cruise, to get away from THAT" :rolleyes:

She picked the wrong cruiseline if she wanted to get away from kids. :)

Only IF they are WELL behaved AND If they act up, one of the parents needs to be responsible enough to remove the child from the dining room.

Definition of WELL BEHAVED - Sit in thier seat, eat thier food, without making a huge mess and no running around the dining room, before during or after the meal.

You weren't on Indy a few weeks ago were ya? Kidding, I'm kidding. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

I agree, parents should remove kids that aren't behaving. But I also have a problem with adults who have no table manners. And they aren't removed. ;)

Agreed. That is where the head waiter should step in and take charge. But they won't cause they don't want to lose that tip. I remember reading a post, a few months ago, where a bunch of spring breakers were tossing wine bottles back and forth between tables. That bunch should have been put off the ship.

Archived