crowds by pools, buffet, chair hogs etc

lettienets

There are plenty of chairs for everybody.......people will whine about anything.....

There is NOT plenty of chairs for everyone..you obviously weren't on the Glory with us in January! I scouted from the Sky deck all the way down and there was no available chairs.

The days we were at Sea..if you weren't up saving a seat by 7am you weren't getting one!!!!! The days when we were at Port you could search and hopefully find one within 30min.

I got up at 6:30am the second last morning to go be a chair hog and go get some breakfast nice and early and there had to be atleast 150 chairs already taken!!!

There is NOT plenty of chairs for everyone..you obviously weren't on the Glory with us in January! I scouted from the Sky deck all the way down and there was no available chairs.

The days we were at Sea..if you weren't up saving a seat by 7am you weren't getting one!!!!! The days when we were at Port you could search and hopefully find one within 30min.

I got up at 6:30am the second last morning to go be a chair hog and go get some breakfast nice and early and there had to be atleast 150 chairs already taken!!!

when we sailed the glory, we also found alot of problems with finding a chair. must be the ship? or maybe the itinerary attracts alot of people that like the sun?

When you move stuff off of someones unoccupied chair, where do you put it? I am so nonconfrontaional but I might just move stuff if I can't find a chair-its my vacation too! I just wouldn't want to cause a big scene....

Depending on how many chairs you need and how many you see in a row with stuff on them being hogged when people are gone, gather up stuff and put it all on one chair and use the ones you need or give the items to the pool attendant. If there is a table nearby, some ships have little side tables, put stuff there. Or under a sunbed next to the ones you use.

The returning people have no right to complain as they know the rules. Send them to the pool attendant or security guy:).And as somebody else said, keep a copy of Capers where the chair hog message is or point them to the sign.

First on the food lines...always make sure you look at the other side to see how long the line is. I have seen too many times that there will be 50 people in line all the way out the door on one side and 4 people total on the other side.

As for chair hogs...I think a lot of people have different definitions of a chair hog.

As for me...

I go to the bathroom and hurry back...I'm not a chair hog.

I walk to the bar and right back...I'm not a chair hog.

I walk over for a dip in the pool...I'm not a chair hog.

But, if I leave my stuff and...

Go to lunch...I'm a chair hog.

Go to the room to take a quick nap...I'm a chair hog.

Decide to go up and play 3 rounds of putt putt...I'm a chair hog.

Take a stroll around the ship...I'm a chair hog.

To me...If you're gonna be gone more than 10-15 minutes max, then you should be polite and take your stuff so that someone else can enjoy their well deserved time to.

Just my two cents.

I have to agree with you! This is very well put!

• 2 years later...
I just drag My pool lounge chair through the buffet line get My tray of food and drag chair back to pool so My spot is saved.LOL:D:D:D At peak meal times there can be a small wait but if you eat right before or after its never a problem.

Too funny :)

Regarding finding chairs in the buffet area, you'll see sometimes a party of 2 at a table for 5 or 6 (they probably aren't being hogs, it was probably the only table open when they got there!), if you're also a party of two, just go up and ask if they mind if you sat at the other end. On our cruise, people did this to us, and we in turn did it as well. You didn't have to strike up a conversation, but you could exchange pleasantries, and it's one more familiar face for you on the ship.

I needed to borrow ketchup from someone's table one day and the people there were practically begging us to join them and chat. So searching for a seat doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

Regarding deck chairs, on the imagination the deck with the waterworks slides on it had hardly any people in the deck chairs when I was there, and I can hardly call that a "secret area" that no one knows about LOL...

I was solo and sat at a large table because that was the only one available. Other times when I can't find a table, I just ask to join others if there is an empty seat. Most often, I just avoid peak times.

We rarely encounter crowds. We don't go to the buffet at 8:00 a.m. or 12:00 noon though, we go at more "off" times when there are fewer people. And if the buffet has 2-level seating it seems like upstairs is far less busy than downstairs.

We don't want to sit right by the pool, or even anywhere near it actually, so we don't have problems with crowds there either. We find deck chairs on the deck above the pool.

We go early to the shows so we can choose seats we like.

I have decided any warm weather cruise I take will require a balcony. The only chair hogs would be my dh or sons. I can boot them off,no problem.LOL I don't swim,I like to sit in the sun and read so, not getting a chair by the pool is fine.

We always try to eat early or late at the buffet. Have never had a problem finding a table.

Also true for Anytime Dining. Dh and I went early and had no wait.

I am going on my second CCL cruise and so often I hear people complain about crowds by the pool, chair hogs and huge lineups/nowhere to sit at the lunch buffet. Any suggestions on how to cope with these situations?:( I am not looking forward to these problems which I had forgotten about since being on Destiny years ago. I am amazed that the public space can't accommodate the number of guests especially on the new big ships.

Thanks

What I like to do is get up early and just collect everything left on deck and toss it in the towel receptacle or lost and found as appropriate. The best part is returning after breakfast or around lunch to see the hogs finally come looking for their things only to find them missing.

Archived