Turkish currency or US Dollars?

chaswill

Before we sail on Regatta in April, we want to sightsee in Istanbul. Does anyone know if we want to visit some of sites that charge an admission fee, do they require turkish currency or will they take US dollars as well? Thanks for the help. :)

All of the government-run sights definitely require Turkish currency. We spent four days in Istanbul in September pre-sailaway, and simply used the ATM machines for our needs. There's a large row of them on the street by the Sultanahmet tram stop between the Ayasofia and Blue Mosque, which was the most convenient for us, as well as one outside a bank right across the street from the port entrance where Nautica was docked. (We had one night on board before sailaway.)

We used Turkish lira most often during our stay, but many shopkeepers and restauranteurs also will quote prices in, and accept, Euros. We never used US dollars. I think that with the widespread use of the Euro, the dollar simply does not have the utility/universality it used to have. We have not used dollars anywhere in Europe in our travels in many years.

Our hotel gave us a 7% discount for paying in cash at check-out, and accepted either Euros or Turkish lira in payment. I highly recommend the Rick Steves' Istanbul guidebook for practical information, walking tours and museum tours.

Hope this helps!

Before we sail on Regatta in April, we want to sightsee in Istanbul. Does anyone know if we want to visit some of sites that charge an admission fee, do they require turkish currency or will they take US dollars as well? Thanks for the help.

Cintipam gave you excellant advice, however, if you use a guide in Istanbul(which we found an invaluable resource) he or she will take care of the admissions and fees for you (as well as get you on the short lines, and/or in front of the huge groups).

We found that not having the pressure of organizing everything gave us more scope to appreciate the beauty and history of that amazing, amazing city.

Having a guide in Istanbul was probably the smartest thing we did. We used Kagan Kosagan for 2 days and it was outstanding - no waiting in lines and the information that he passed through was incredible. We managed to get a very good mix of the tourist spots and less frequented areas. It was very inexpensive compared to Athens and worth 4x as much.

My opinion differs from the two preceding posters. Istanbul is an extremely easy city to do on your own because, except for your need for a taxi to visit to see the Byzantine mosaics at the Chora Church (if you are in town for more than one day), all of the major tourist sights are within a few hundred yards of each other and the one-route only easy, modern tram seems designed for the tourist, stopping right by all the major sights, including ending only a short walk from the Dolmahbache Palace (the "modern" 19th-century palace used by Ataturk). All signage is in both Turkish and English, and we never had any language problem in our four days on our own.

Our visit was in early September, and we had no lines anywhere except the Dolmabache. Save your tour-guide money for your visit to Ephesus.

However, if you do opt for a guide, guides in Turkey are indeed much, much more reasonable than in Italy.

Perhaps I should add that a major reason we like to tour on our own is that my spouse and I are slow sightseers and, unless visiting "natural beauty" destinations, will take much longer than "normal" people when touring, particularly when visiting museums.

I agree that Istanbul is easy to do on your own. I would get some Turkish Lira because if you use Euros or US$, unless you are very aware of the conversion rate to Lira, you could be paying a lot more than you realize. The merchants will charge you an arbitrary fee for themselves.

Be careful of one thing in Istanbul (possibly all over, although we've only experienced this in Istanbul): shops, restaurants, and hotels will not accept currency that has a rip or tear. We took currency out of an ATM near the Sophia Hagia. The corner of one of the 100-lira notes was torn off. (It was small; I hadn't even noticed it.) No merchant would accept that bill, nor would our hotel. Unfortunately the banks were closed. Nothing we could do.

Do be careful if anyone tries to give you a torn bill for change.

I'm interested in hearing that the Turks don't want dollars any more because that wasn't the case when we were there 9 years ago. I do believe there were some admissions in Istanbul that wanted Turkish lira rather than dollars (very few) at that time, but it wasn't practical to carry around such huge wads of cash.

Of course, in 2000 the Euro didn't exist. Of just barely. I don't think we used them before a land trip to France in May 2002.

I AM a believer in using local currency in general. Many Americans seem to think that anybody in the world wants U.S. dollars and while that has often been the case, even when the dollar is weak, that is more the case in third world countries ... and I'd say that Turkey can qualify in that respect.

I remember a volunteer guide who attached himself to us, wouldn't leave no matter how unsubtle we were, and then wanted payment in dollars. He had a wad of 20s about 6" thick.

But that was then and times change.

Are there ATM's in the airport in Istanbul? Our local bank doesn't stock Turkish liras of course (they do always have British pounds and Euros) and I'll need some for the taxi. I'm also wondering if ATM's at the airport would have similar rates as in the city. I don't want to take out too much cash, although I guess I'll still need it in Kusadasi.

You can be sure there are ATM's and banks at the airport in Istanbul.

You will need Lira to purchase a Turkish Visa on entering the country. It takes all of about 30 seconds to do, but payment is only in their currency. The cost of a visa is either the equivalent of $10 or $20 each, I don't remember, but it is easy to verify the cost in travel guides or by looking through past threads on CC.

You can be sure that merchants in the Grand Bazaar will take nearly any form of payment you can think of: USD, checks, credit cards. From memory, they prefer cash to CC, and may even suggest a check rather than a credit card. Your "job" is to make sure you know the current exchange rate and to have your transactions properly calculated accordingly.

You can be sure there are ATM's and banks at the airport in Istanbul.

You will need Lira to purchase a Turkish Visa on entering the country. It takes all of about 30 seconds to do, but payment is only in their currency. The cost of a visa is either the equivalent of $10 or $20 each, I don't remember, but it is easy to verify the cost in travel guides or by looking through past threads on CC.

You can be sure that merchants in the Grand Bazaar will take nearly any form of payment you can think of: USD, checks, credit cards. From memory, they prefer cash to CC, and may even suggest a check rather than a credit card. Your "job" is to make sure you know the current exchange rate and to have your transactions properly calculated accordingly.

Actually, I believe you can pay for the visa in Euros [15] or US$ [20].

As Canadians we had to pay $60US per person for our Turkish visa last Fall. I believe that price has since gone up a bit. For US citizens it was $20US.

Our excellent tour guide Gulgun Asutay wanted payment in $US but would likely have taken Euros or Lira.

One thing for sure, no one wanted Canadian dollars in Istanbul!! :(

Dave

As others have pointed out, you definitely should not try to use Lira for your visa. US citizens are to pay in dollars, $20 bills only. Stick your $20 in your passport, present it at the little window right before the passport control at the Istanbul airport, and your Turkish visa will be affixed in five seconds.

We were staying three nights at our hotel, so had free pick-up at the airport. We got our first Turkish lira at one of the line of ATM machines right near the Sultanahmet tram stop between the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sofia. You will need Lira for all admission to government-run sights in Istanbul. There's also an ATM right outside a bank across the street from the port entrance where Nautica was docked last September.

We were staying three nights at our hotel, so had free pick-up at the airport.

Hi CintiPam,

Do you have a hotel recommendation for Istanbul? We are going in May.

Thanks.

Hi CintiPam,

Do you have a hotel recommendation for Istanbul? We are going in May.

Thanks.

I highly recommend the Sirkeci Konak, rated number 1 on sister website tripadvisor since it opened about two years ago. New, but built in the old style, 50 yards from a tram stop, 10 minutes walk to Ayasofia, Archeological Museum, Topkapi, etc., great breakfast, tea and sandwiches gratis in the late afternoon, good restaurant, lovely spa (I had a wonderful Turkish bath and massage there because my cowardly spouse would not go to a public haman with me). Most importantly, great service from all the staff, from Ms. Pelin Nasoz, the Guest Relations Manager, down to the doorman (both of whom came out the door to our taxi to wave goodbye to us when we left). Check out the reviews on tripadvisor; if you do book there, do it on their website, which, for a three-night stay, provides free transport from the airport, a free dinner, and a 7%discount for payment in cash upon departure. (All of which made a per night stay within my budget.)

BTW, the Nena was my next choice due to the views from their rooftop breakfast restaurant.

After disembarking your plane in Istanbul walk past the passport control lineups to the visa window. So many get in the passport control line first then have to go back out to get their visa first. Different nationalities pay different amounts for the visa in the currency of their home country. Follow the advice above, put your $USD in the passport, pass it thru the wicket and you're done in about 6 seconds. Then proceed to passport control.

After passing thru passport control and retreaving your luggage, as you head toward the exit doors to the parking lot there's a duty free shop on the left (You can go online and order a case of wine to be picked up at the duty free shop) and an ATM on the right. The rate here was as good as any we found in Istanbul. We used the lire for everything except our accommodation and guide fees which we'd agreed to pay in $USD

Admission fees to Hagia Sophia, the archaeological museum (a must see with its tomb of Alexander the Great, Egyptian mummies and Trojan artifacts), the cisterns, St. Savior Chora Church, Dolmabahce Palace, Topkapi Palace and Topkapi harem all require payment in Turkish lire. The cistern fee of 10 YTL was not worth it in my opinion, not when the archaeological museum only charged 5 YTL. You are expected to make a donation when you exit a mosque after visiting whether its the Blue Mosque, Rustem Pasa, Suleymaniye or others.

We used the Valide Sultan Konagi hotel, 100 yards from the Topkapi first gate, because of its location, they gave 10% discount for cash and provided meet, greet and transfer from the airport since we stayed for 3 nights. Free breakfast was on the top floor. Friends using my recommendation had difficulty with the Konagi, some confusion over transfer from the ship to the hotel and stayed at the Nena and then the Daphne and highly recommended both. A little more expensive than Konagi, they said but worth it.

We used Ilknur (Anna) Karaagac (guideattrdotnet) as a guide. Her fee included up to a party of 8, we were 4 and had we known about CruiseCritic roll calls we might have been able to reduce the per person cost. We paid her in American dollars. These guides are extensively trained and so the great advantages to us was time saving and the provision of insights, information and explanations that you might not find in a guide book or would have to search and find. She lead us to gems like the archaeological museum that we might have missed. She took us to the Rustem Pasa and Suleymaniye mosques so that we could make comparisons. She was patient, knowing that each traveller approaches in a different way. She introduced us and allowed us to explore at our own pace and did not intrude. She knew the tricks of the trade, knowing what days are best for visiting Topkapi because the crowds are least, obtained our admission tickets for us (including the Topkapi harem which has a separate admission and ticket wicket across the compound from the main admissions kiosk). On the days that we went farther afield from the hotel, she arranged a van which we paid for separately. This took us to Rustem Pasa and then scooted up the Bosphorus while we visited the spice market and then caught the ferry. She explained the sites we saw using this public transport (costing a lot less than the cruise line tours). We did not journey all the way up the Bosphorus and our driver was waiting at our prearranged ferry stop. They wisked us to Dolmabahce, (no line ups) then to St. Savior Chora then to the Suleymaniye mosque, then to Konagi. There was no 9 to 5 for them. We were done when we said we were done for the day, not some timetable.

We encountered many who preferred to do all this on their own, and great for them that they could do this. We felt the guide was money well spent enabling us to experience more with less time wasted. Anna also knew the "safe" places to eat. They delivered us and our luggage to the ship.

PS buy bottles of water while ashore. Oceania charges a bundle for every bottle they sell at the gangway when you're going ashore for an excursion.

Taxi from the square in front of Hagia Sophia to the ship should be about 20 YTL, not more than 25YTL. If taking a cab from the ship to the Sultanahmet, don't take the ones immediately exiting the ship, walk out to the street.

As others have pointed out, you definitely should not try to use Lira for your visa. US citizens are to pay in dollars, $20 bills only. Stick your $20 in your passport, present it at the little window right before the passport control at the Istanbul airport, and your Turkish visa will be affixed in five seconds.

We were staying three nights at our hotel, so had free pick-up at the airport. We got our first Turkish lira at one of the line of ATM machines right near the Sultanahmet tram stop between the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sofia. You will need Lira for all admission to government-run sights in Istanbul. There's also an ATM right outside a bank across the street from the port entrance where Nautica was docked last September.

***Regarding the info above--The person quoting me a price for my planned Insignia cruise on 5-31-09 from Rome to Istanbul said my DH and I would need visas to EXIT Istanbul airport at the end of the trip. She said Oceania could provide them to us as a "courtesy" for $50 each; that way we wouldn't have to stand in line at the airport.

If the Visas are only $20 US each, are we being had? Does anyone know if the "line" at the airport for visas will be all that bad?? Any info those of you who have been down this road can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Gr'aunt (Debra) ***

gr'aunt, you need to show the visa to exit the country and they stamp it, but you need to have the visa before you get to Istanbul if you are arriving on a cruise ship, it will get stamped on entry into Turkey by their authorities before the passports are given back to you on the last evening on the ship. If you were starting the trip in Istanbul, you could easily buy it yourself at the airport on arrival, since you are leaving from there, you need to have it before you start the cruise, I have heard of some problems boarding a cruise if all required visas were not present. There is no place at the port to buy the visa. You can apply online for that visa, I think from the Turkish consulate website it was $35. If you live in a city near a Turkish consulate, you can go there personally and apply for it and pick it up, not sure if it would only be $20 that way. If you buy it from O, they will send the visa with your final paperwork and you just have to stick it (its like a peel off stamp) into an empty page in your passport. You cannot buy the stamp as you are leaving. The $50 from O is for the convenience of them filling out the paperwork and sending it in for you and sending you the visa directly. When we did the Rome to Istanbul cruise in 2006, we just bought the visa through O and it was worth it to us, I don't think there was an online option at the time. When we were leaving Istanbul, I did notice that the gentleman that stamped our passports for leaving did read the entry stamp and check the dates.

***Regarding the info above--The person quoting me a price for my planned Insignia cruise on 5-31-09 from Rome to Istanbul said my DH and I would need visas to EXIT Istanbul airport at the end of the trip. She said Oceania could provide them to us as a "courtesy" for $50 each; that way we wouldn't have to stand in line at the airport.

If the Visas are only $20 US each' date=' are we being had? Does anyone know if the "line" at the airport for visas will be all that bad?? Any info those of you who have been down[/b'] this road can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Gr'aunt (Debra) ***

Debra, sorry I cannot help with your question. We cruised Istanbul to Athens (EU, so no visa or other requirements), so we got the $20 visa upon landing. BTW, hope you have an extra few days at the end of your cruise to stay in Istanbul, a truly magical place important in so many historical eras.

If it helps re: the $50 cost, note that when I went to St. Petersburg three years ago, it cost me about $150 plus a ton of ridiculous paperwork to complete (all the countries I had ever visited and when, etc.) to get my visa.

Your cruise actually visits two Turkish ports, Kusadasi and then Istanbul, where you will stay for two days.

As such, you will need Turkish visas before you arrive in Kusadasi, and since you start from Athens, you would have to have them in possession before you leave the U.S.

As CintiPam says, you have a choice of going through the nearest Turkish embassy in the U.S., or you can have Oceania send them to you with your cruise documents. (They are actually gummed stamps that you place in your passport yourself)

The extra fee is a small price to pay for the convenience.....

Archived