Read Reviews and Canceled Cruise

hunahpu

We were looking to book on the Star. This was back in December.

People seem to ding the line on the same things over and over again: food and service, food and service, food and service. That got us thinking, maybe the food and service really is that bad. I mean, food and service can really make or break a cruise. It took a lot of discussion, but we decided to go on a different line instead, one where food and service were more highly praised. I guess that we may never know if we would have liked it or not, but it was not just one or two people who complained about it.

(I actually wrote my original post many times, and canceled it because I've seen how people can really dig into you on this board for such things)

We were on the Star for the Nov. 29 to Dec. 7, 2008 cruise. From all the NCL cruises we have been on, this cruise had the best food. I was especially impressed with the cold chilled fruit soup. For instance, besides the pureed blue berries for the soup, they also had fresh blueberries in it. We enjoyed the food very much that I gained 5 pounds, first time that I gained that much on a cruise.

The crew was great. They were very helpful and went out of their way to make our cruise enjoyable. Very friendly.

We will be seeing 2 of the crew members on the Jade later on this year and looking forward to that.

<snip>

1. Which NCL Cruise were you booked on?

2. What did you hear that made you cancel??

4. Are you going on a different criuise line, if so which one?

5. Have you ever cruised in the past?

6. Are you opposed to NCL or cruising in general?

<snip>

I already answered some of these, but have no problem answering them again.

1. The Star, to the Mexican Riviera.

2. There were repeated complaints about the food and service. As I mentioned previously, food and service can make or break the cruise.

4. We ended up going on HAL's Oosterdam. It was not a bad decision either. It was one of our favorite cruises ever.

5. We've been on four cruises: Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas, Holland America's Ryndam, Carnival's Elation, and now Holland America's Oosterdam.

6. I am not opposed to NCL in general. In fact, we knew nothing about them when we booked. However, after reading some of the reviews, we reconsidered. Granted, there were some good reviews, but the ones that were not cited the same problems over and over again: food and service. In fact, some of the good reviews cited the same problems, they just said, don't sweat it.

It is funny, while we were on board the Oosterdam, we shadowed the Star the whole way. I kept thinking, we were supposed to be aboard that ship. I wondered if people were having a good time.

Later, on the trip, we took a horseback riding excursion in Mazatlan. One of the couples on the excursion was also aboard the Star. We asked them in detail what they thought of the ship, the line, and so on. They loved it. So, who knows?

hunapu, thanks for coming back and at least explaining why you did what you did.

I will be the first to say, the food on HAL is better than NCL but this is not saying NCL does not have good food. As for service the best we have had has been on HAL, that is one thing we like about the line..

I did find it interesting you were on the Oosterdam as I think that is the ship that gets the worst HAL reviews..

Anyway, if you do decide to cruise NCL be prepared for a great but different experience than HAL..

Nita

hunahpu,

I was on the Star Dec 20th cruise. The big thing to remember is that all of the cruiselines have slipped in food and service from what they ONCE were, and in this economy they will probably slip more. It also depends on your expectations. If you expect 5 star food and 5 star dining service you are not going to find it on any main stream cruiseline period. If you expect decent food served in a reasonable fashion then most of the lines are going to deliver that in much the same fashion.

On the Star I never had to wait to be seated, All of my food was cooked properly and as ordered, and it was good tasty food, Not the absolute best food I have ever eaten nor would I expect it to be, but it was significantly better than what I get in any moderate range restaruant at home.

Only you can determine if the things offered by NCL such as all the aspects of free style cruising appeal to your ways of cruising, but food and service are much the same both good and bad over the spectrum of cruislines today. You might pick any line and on a particular cruise or ship get mediocre food and or mediocre or bad for that matter service. It happens. But it doesn' happen on every cruise or every ship, all the time or to every patron even on a less than stellar ship.

I think the main thing here is not that reviews make such a difference, but you say flat out that you did no homework before booking your cruise with NCL. You knew nothing about them. Well you should not have booked with anyone you know nothing about, you should have done your reading both from the NCL website being sure to read everything and then from some place like this reading the various comments good and bad, and reading reviews with a grain of salt, sometimes a whole shaker, and then decided if it was for you and booked or not accordingly.

I am glad you enjoyed HAL but you are just as likely to have a bad experience there as anywhere. Good luck on your future travel plans and hope you do your investigating first.

If there is a poster who for some reason, you no longer want to read anything they post, you can choose to "ignore" them. You click on "User CP" in the light beige bar at the top of the page, then on the left side click on "edit ignore list". A box will pop up that lets you enter the persons username you wish to ignore and poof......they're gone. :) Well, not reallly gone, but gone for you.

CG

Thanks CG. As always, I knew I could count on you to answer my question. You are among the few that has made me come back every day to CC.

It's really important to keep things in context and take reviews with a grain of salt ... some people will complain about anything. If you go to a site like tripadvisor, you will find amazing hotels and resorts (Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.) rated 1 out of 5 by complainers...

It's really important to keep things in context and take reviews with a grain of salt ... some people will complain about anything. If you go to a site like tripadvisor, you will find amazing hotels and resorts (Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.) rated 1 out of 5 by complainers...

Tripadvisor and I realize Cc is owned by them or think they are, is about the most critical review board I have ever seen. I cringed when someone makes referance to it..

thanks

Nita

We booked several months ago, not knowing anything about NCL. When we came here to Cruise Critic, and read some of the reviews, we were shocked. After a long discussion -- and we discussed it in great depth -- we decided that the risk was too great and canceled the cruise.

The reviews do make a difference.

Wow that is sad. :eek: I have been on one NCL cruise and it was to Hawaii. People bashed the Pride of Hawaii (now the Jade), bashed the American crew, the food, etc. I'm glad I didn't listen to them because we had the best time and the crew was wonderful.

You just need to read what is written but take the really bad with a grain of salt. There are people in this world that expect to be waited on hand and foot, these people just can't be made happy. They are probably very glass half empty people. I would give NCL a try.

I honestly don't know if it is an available feature on this board. On other boards I participate on, if you find a particular member bothers you, you can select to ignore that member, and never read their posts again. They simply will not appear for you.

Thanks bermuder. I did not see that you answered my question first. You too are always quick to supply an answer to my questions and that is greatly appreciated.

I already answered some of these, but have no problem answering them again. ....SNIP!....

Thanks for coming back and clarifying. It's your money and vacation, you have to be comfortable. The reviews are written for a reason, and you used them as they are intended.

Enjoy the cruise you booked!

I think hunahpu did two very good things. First they did their homework, went through the reviews, and decided not to risk valuable vacation time on a cruise they had reservations about based on the things important to them. There is no logic in sticking with a plan or cruise you have concerns about when you have options. That said I think they would have enjoyed the Star and the remarkable food options and great crew. Perhaps if they expanded the research and came to this message board to validate the concerns the decision may have been different. The good news they had a great cruise anyway

The second thing was starting this thread. The value of a message board versus published reviews is the balance that varied posters can add. Somewhere in the middle of all stuff on the Internet lies the truth.

We booked several months ago, not knowing anything about NCL. When we came here to Cruise Critic, and read some of the reviews, we were shocked. After a long discussion -- and we discussed it in great depth -- we decided that the risk was too great and canceled the cruise.

You can't be serious! In fact, there is no way this is real.

That was a stupid decision. Sorry if it sounds rough, but if you read the reviews on any of the cruise boards, either Carnival, Royal Carib, I would never take a cruise. You have good and bad, some people let the smallest thing ruin there cruise and then write a bad review.

• Administrators

Different take from me -- I think the OP made the correct decision. Having read the OP's review of his last HAL cruise, and participated in some of the discussion on the HAL board regarding his expectations, what disappointed him, and what compensation HAL offered him, I honestly do not think there's even a slight chance NCL would have satisfied him, so this was a good choice... for the OP.

PS By the way, that cruise was last December, and the Oosterdam cruise discussed on the HAL board is the one booked in lieu of NCL. To the OP, why two months later come to the NCL board to make this post? Just curious -- I agree with others that the fact you said this really is a good indicator of the value some people may give to the opinions of others -- but just wondered why now?

It is funny, while we were on board the Oosterdam, we shadowed the Star the whole way. I kept thinking, we were supposed to be aboard that ship. I wondered if people were having a good time.

Now that is funny. :) I like your sense of humor.

Later, on the trip, we took a horseback riding excursion in Mazatlan. One of the couples on the excursion was also aboard the Star. We asked them in detail what they thought of the ship, the line, and so on. They loved it. So, who knows?

Glad you had a great time on your cruise. And who knows, maybe one day you'll decide to try NCL. If you do, I wish you a great sailing.

CG

Thanks CG. As always, I knew I could count on you to answer my question. You are among the few that has made me come back every day to CC.

Oh lord, don't say that too loud. There are definitely some that would highly disagree with you! :eek:

But thanks anyway. :)

CG

If they felt that uncomfortable about it, its probably better they cancel. My dh and I found cruising approx 4 yrs ago, we will be on cruise #8 in October, our first NCL- 14 days on the Jewel. We have been on the high en Silver Seas, Princess, RCL and several Carnival.. all had different things we liked. No cruise so far has been a bad cruise:o:o

<snip>

PS By the way, that cruise was last December, and the Oosterdam cruise discussed on the HAL board is the one booked in lieu of NCL. To the OP, why two months later come to the NCL board to make this post? Just curious -- I agree with others that the fact you said this really is a good indicator of the value some people may give to the opinions of others -- but just wondered why now?

Why now? Actually, I've tried many times word this post over the past couple of months. I've written it short. I've written it long. I've written it politely. I've written it less than polite. I could not bring myself to post it. Today, I wrote it short and sweet, making my point, and instead of pressing cancel, like I've done it the past, I posted it.

Why was it so difficult to write? Well, people on this board can be -- shall we say -- "enthusiastic" about negative posts. Surprisingly, the post has been received better than I expected.

In the end, I think that what I had to say needed to be said: People do read these boards and do make decisions based on what is said.

We were looking to book on the Star. This was back in December.

People seem to ding the line on the same things over and over again: food and service, food and service, food and service. That got us thinking, maybe the food and service really is that bad. I mean, food and service can really make or break a cruise. It took a lot of discussion, but we decided to go on a different line instead, one where food and service were more highly praised. I guess that we may never know if we would have liked it or not, but it was not just one or two people who complained about it.

(I actually wrote my original post many times, and canceled it because I've seen how people can really dig into you on this board for such things)

you had your reasons and thats good enough for me, I hope which ever line you cruise you have a smashing time:D

but i will maintain that sometimes the way people are responded to on here could potentially sway them to a different cruise line. we are not here to judge any ones decisions, we are here to listen and give positive advice.

Cancel a cruise because people you don't know say it was lacking in food and service? I guess it's just me, but I can't imagine canceling any event where I can go somewhere, have choices of all different types of food (as many choices as I like, even!)AND have it served to me! ;)

• Administrators
Why now? Actually, I've tried many times word this post over the past couple of months. I've written it short. I've written it long. I've written it politely. I've written it less than polite. I could not bring myself to post it. Today, I wrote it short and sweet, making my point, and instead of pressing cancel, like I've done it the past, I posted it.

Why was it so difficult to write? Well, people on this board can be -- shall we say -- "enthusiastic" about negative posts. Surprisingly, the post has been received better than I expected.

In the end, I think that what I had to say needed to be said: People do read these boards and do make decisions based on what is said.

Thanks for replying! I do agree with you that people do read these boards and make decisions based in part on what's said here; I think that's why your post is valuable and I'm glad you did it. I'm also glad that (for the most part) you haven't been excoriated for it -- I thought it was a fair thing to post, and based on your previous posts (as I said above) I agree with your decision not to sail NCL.

I agree not so much because of reviews, but because I just don't think NCL's "style" is your style, nor is it everyone's. Frequently negative posts/reviews here come down to that -- someone DIDN'T do the homework you did, sails NCL expecting a "traditional" cruise, and comes back complaining about things like turndown service (there's a wheel to request it outside the cabin on NCL), waiting for a table in the dining room (freestyle means the heart of dinner hour is very popular), etc. I honestly think many of the "service" issues people find with NCL are actually just part of the "Freestyle" product (that's not to excuse uncleanliness in the cabins! I'm just saying many of the issues folks report seem to come more from the product than slovenly crew). I also honestly do NOT think "freestyle" is for everyone -- so those who do their research and figure it out ahead of time are the smart ones.

Hope your next vacation is wonderful! :)

Well, what would be the point of having reviews and ratings if you didn't use them? I used them here to try and make a reasonably informed selection about my last cruise (on NCL, as a matter of fact). I also used ratings to help decide which hotel to book.

At a macro level, you can use user ratings to compare trips/hotels or whatever against each other as well get additional information to help make an informed choice. It's not a bad approach.

I am new to cruising and if I believed all of the reviews I wouldnt go on a cruise at all! I read one review where the OP said " the shower was so small the curtain stuc to my behind and it ruined my entire cruise!" :D I hope she didnt have the curtain stuc to her behind for the entire cruise!

I take them all with a grain of salt. I go on vacation with an open mind and enjoy the new experience!

I read one review where the OP said " the shower was so small the curtain stuc to my behind and it ruined my entire cruise!" :D I hope she didnt have the curtain stuc to her behind for the entire cruise!

Me too! That sounds like it would be very uncomfortable and probably not a pretty sight:eek:

Archived