Flying from BWI-LAX-SYD-have questions

ginger lea

Hi. Flying from Balt/Wash Int'l to LAX to Sydney on United. For anyone who has done this or a similar international flight, could you help answer the following:

1) Will my luggage be checked straight through, or will I need to get in in LA and recheck it?

2) What suggestions do you have in terms of keeping nourished, rested and comfortable for the 14 hr portion from LA to SYD?

Thank you for your thoughts/comments in advance. I have never flown over 6 hrs before and I am a nervous about getting migraine, nausea, and just plain worn out....

I'm back 2 weeks after a similar trip. They checked my bags at Dulles, and I didn't have to pick them up at either LAX or San Fran coming home. As far as the trip, I ate lightly, drank water, and walked to and from the bathroom a few times, and tried to sleep most of the way. We arrived in Syd early morning, and checked into our hotel right away. After showers and coffee, we felt ok to go out sightseeing. We ate dinner relatively early for us, and I know I was asleep by 8:30 that night, but the next day we felt human. Have a good trip.

Hi,

I did the same flight last year, United out of Baltimore and then changed to Qantas at LAX. They transferred my luggage even though there was about 10 hours between my flights. No worries about that. Coming back though we did have to go through customs, pick up our bags, and rechecked them right there. I'm not sure if it was because we were changing airlines, but my understanding is you have to go through customs at the first place you land in the USA. Yet "Cinder Again" said they didn't have to. Don't worry though, I'm sure they'll let you know. I was a little nervous about it at first, but the whole process went very quickly.

My advice on the long flight is similar to what you have already heard. Definitely drink lots of water and get up and stretch. You may want to take a unisom, tylenol pm or anxiety pill to help you sleep. If you are worried about a headache maybe the tylenol pm would be a good option for you. Ginger pills or chews might help with nausea and we take bonine for flying and cruising. United has those economy plus seats that will get you a lot of extra leg room if you want to try and purchase those. We got them from LAX back to BWI and thought it was well worth the extra money. Not sure what they'd charge from LAX to SYD though.

I was determined to stay up and sightsee on our first day in Sydney and that's what we did. We went to bed early as well, but overall never really felt jet lagged, not even on our return trip. You'll be surprised how quickly the 14 hours will go. We enjoyed Qantas because they have those computer screens on the back of the chairs, but I slept most of the trip anyway. Good luck and I'm sure when all is said and done, you'll think it was well worth it. And just think, after this trip almost any other flight you take will be a piece of cake!

Brenda

I'm not sure if it was because we were changing airlines, but my understanding is you have to go through customs at the first place you land in the USA. Yet "Cinder Again" said they didn't have to.
Your understanding is correct - it's the same whether you're on the same airline or changing airlines.

Cinder Again was reporting the experience going in the opposite direction: Washington -> Los Angeles -> Sydney.

We were on United on our way back from Sydney to Montreal ( via LAX and Chicago ). We had purchased the Economy plus from SYD-LAX and it was worth it! We paid 150US and we got the portion LAX-ORD for free!!! ( I guess we were lucky!!)

We had to get the luggages in LAX and clear customs. The process was very smooth and plenty of time to do our connection.

On the way to go, we flew American and Qantas via LAX and we didn't touch our suitcases until final destination...which was great!!

Advice for a long flight: I agree with the other cruiscritic members, drink lots of water and walk on board. I did take sleeping pills and was able to sleep 7 hours in a row, which made the whole difference in the World!!!

Have a great trip you will LOVE Australia!

Archived