The Halekulani

sazzle99

Hi all

We are booking in at the Halekulani for 2 nights before our POA cruise next July. We normally go cheap and cheerful with hotels but are splashing out as it is our honeymoon

Is it as nice as it looks on the website. Can anyone tell me what the location is like in terms of nice bars and places to eat

Thanks!

It's a beautiful hotel. Evenings, the outside bar/restaurant, House Without a Key, has entertainment as the sun sets. It is the best place to enjoy that time of day. Should also have a great view of the sun rising above Diamond Head. You're very lucky to be staying there. Best wishes on the wedding.

Halekulani is undeniably the best hotel in Waikiki - I live here and make it a point to go there at least once a year. Location (on the beach next to the Sheraton) is central, the in-house restaurants are excellent, and, in addition to House Without a Key, there's a great low-key bar off the lobby (Lewers Lounge). For an "occasion" you couldn't pick a better place.

Agreed. Halekulani is one of the best hotels in Waikiki, if not THE best. If you're there for Sunday, try to make reservations for Sunday brunch - the best brunch in Hawaii, bar none. :) And La Mer is the only restaurant rated 5 diamonds by AAA in Hawaii.

Spleen

Sazzle, my exact sentiments as Ka Honu. You must have a lot of money:p 'cause the Halekulani is indeed the best hotel in Waikiki and possibly in the Islands. A couple years ago there was an article in some national magazine that said the *every* hotel in Waikiki was owned by the Japanese, *except* one. I think it's the Halekulani. When you get there, find out if this is so. Just curious.

Unless you know, Ka Honu.

Aloha

Eddie, UH 71, HPD 71-76

We splurged and stayed here after our cruise several years ago before flying back to the mainland. What a fabulous hotel. I'm in the meeting planning business and book hotels all over the country. This is one of my all time favorites.

By the way, when we checked out on the day we were flying home (had an 11:00 PM departure on a red eye flight), we asked if there was a possibility of using the facilities for the day and we had a dinner reservation at Orchids that evening before going to the airport. They offered to move us to another room in the hotel (we originally had an ocean view) at no-charge until we left for the airport. So we essentially got an entire extra day without an additional charge. If you have a red-eye home, ask about it. It made the costs seem much more reasonable.

And the service is the best. Enjoy your honeymoon.

P.S. We loved Roy's Restaurant (Roy Yamaguchi) (a cab ride) -- his original restaurant on the east side of the island. Probably one of our all time best dining experiences. www.roysrestaurant.com

A couple years ago there was an article in some national magazine that said the *every* hotel in Waikiki was owned by the Japanese, *except* one. I think it's the Halekulani. When you get there, find out if this is so. Just curious.

I'm pretty sure that it's NOT the Halekulani. The Halekulani is part of the Okura Hotels and Resorts umbrella and the Halekulani Corporation is Japan-based. :)

Spleen

Spleen, thanks for the info. BTW, we lived on Laupapa Pl. 71-76. If we can get a passport for one of my girls by Tuesday, we'll be visiting Ewa Beach sometime after Wednesday to show them the house we lived in. We're waiting for the mail tomorrow hoping the passport will arrive. One passport arrived last Monday, and the second may have been lost by the post office. Since we can't leave one behind (she's 10) we have to cancel and lose over $5,000.

Eddie

Spleen, things are looking up! There is a poster who lives in Hawaii and he said NCL refers passengers without passports to a company that will do expedited service. I found the website of this company (Mary Charles and Associates) and will call them first thing tomorrow to get more info. Seems they can get a passport same day. I don't know how they can do it, but I have all the necessary documents for my girl. Thanks for your concern!

My kids went to Ilima and Campbell. I last visited Ewa Beach about 5-6 years ago. At that time the housing market was in a slump and remember reading same type house as ours (4 bdrm) were selling for around $141,000. Now I read where the same house is near $300,000. Big change last five years, eh?

Eddie

Archived