Anyone sailed Star Garden Villa to Alaska

AdoptAtty

Has anyone sailed to Alaska in a Star Garden Villa? I'm looking for your opinions if so. For me, the scenery is what this trip is all about. I'm trying to figure out what kind of views we might have from a GV and if you can go outside on your deck (Deck 14) or the sun deck upstairs while sailing to enjoy the views, or if you can only do that while in port. We sail May 2nd, early in the season... I'm thinking COLD. :eek:

Thanks for your thoughts.

We did the Mexican Riviera in the Garden Villa on the Star last November and we have done Alaska on other ships. We usually do Alaska in September (repositioning) and the weather is similar to May. It can be cool for sure, but such a wonderful cruise. The itinerary really is about the views and exploring Alaska.

Now - regarding the Garden Villa. It is absolutely fabulous. We have been in the Penthouse on Celebrity's Infinity and in the Royal Suite on RCI's Radiance. There was no comparison. We felt like royalty every minute of every day in the GV. The service from the butler, room steward and concierge was amazing. I would have been happy to have stayed inside the suite the entire 7 days to Mexico.

Regarding the views, your living room looks down on the pool area. The outside area where the hot tub and steam room are, is on the side of the ship and affords great views that are somewhat protected from the wind. Above the suite on level 15 is another sundeck that can be windy while under way, but would give you great views across the front and down the side when you are in port or when the winds are calm.

I hope you have a great cruise. If you have specific questions, please ask.

Cathy

Thanks so much Cathy. I am thinking of upgrading as a nice gift to my parents. I was in an Owner's Suite and am now so spoiled. I can only imagine what the GVs are like. Which one were you in? I guess the difference is a galley kitchen vs. a nice bar or something like that.

We were in 14000 with the bar. It was my sister with her husband, my son with his wife and 20 month old son, and my husband and me. It was Thanksgiving week and we had a total of 21 family members and friends on the ship, so it was the perfect time to have the large suite. Everyone hung out in the GV and loved it! The staff went out of their way to take care of everyone in our family, and exceeded all our expectations during a very crowded week. Anka was the concierge and she was amazing on a daily basis! It's just an unbelievable experience and we are spoiled for life! It would be a wonderful gift for your parents.

Hi AdoptAtty:

2 words for you - DO IT. I had an OS and an adjoining penthouse booked for my husband and I and our adult daughter; we are headed to Alaska on the Star in June. She will have just received her MBA and this is our gift to her.

I went back and forth for several weeks and finally decided you only live once. And I have now added my sister and brother in law to the trip; it is their 40th wedding anniversary and they could never do this on their own.

I did tons of research, looked at many, many photos and ultimately thought - what do I want from this trip? A fabulous, once in a lifetime experience. The GV was the logical decision. I have not had buyer's remorse even once.

Grab it before it's gone.

I'm so there... but was turned off because they want to take the $500 OBC each cabin has and turn that into $200 or maybe it was $250 total. It isn't the money per se, but how stupid is that... I'm upgrading, willing to spend more than $10,000 additonal and they want to take about $750 of my OBC. I told them I'd book it with my OBC and they said NO. So I said NO. Of course I can call back any time, but that just made me so mad.

Ah, my friend...I can relate. I went through a similar experience and the same emotions. We had 2 cabins booked, each with a $500 obc from NCL and a $100 from the TA. I was so angry when BOTH of them said, "no, you will lose one of the OBCs if you upgrade (paying the full difference) from your OS/PH arrangement to the GV". I stewed for days.....then looked at more pics...and more posts....and sent the email to the TA that said - GO.

What changed for me? I kept thinking....what if the people around us are noisy? What if our daughter can't go out on that PH foward balcony at all due to wind? what if.... Then I had a vision...I was looking at MORE GV pics on webshots and somehow she appeared in one...lounging in a chair in the private courtyard. :) That very private courtyard, shared with NO ONE else.

A year from now are you going to remember the OBC or seeing your parents in awe at the surroundings - having dinner with them in the private courtyard at that beautiful table? Watching them relax in peace and solitude, and enjoying the privilege of being THE most special and pampered folks on the ship?

Or a year from now, are you going to say "Gee, I wish I had"....

It sounds like you and I are in similar situations - we are blessed not to have to worry all that much about the cost (though everyone worries a little these days) and we both are going on these cruises with special people, wanting to make a lasting and very, very unique memory - yours is with your parents, for me, it's our daughter. The GV allowed me to expand the gift to my sister and brother in law. Maybe you could do the same - is there some special family member(s) who could occupy that 3rd bedroom and even further surprise your folks?

Whatever you do, please enjoy -you are so wonderful to do this for your parents. I will want to hear all about your trip, since we are following you to Alaska, a few weeks later.

All the best.

PS: I'm also a bit concerned about the top deck being windy and cold - but other posters say we're really far from land enroute to and from Seattle, so there probably isn't much to see on those transits. In any case - it's an Alaska cruise, so cold is part of the memory - extra, extra warm coats, and I'm packing a couple of those roll- up fleece blankets so daughter can be even warmer out there. We live in Miami, so we are all super-sensitive to the cold! :)

If the top deck is too windy and cold, your folks can still enjoy the outdoors in the courtyard. :)

Born and raised in Miami myself! So I understand being worried about cold. (I can remember in High School it actually snowed once in Miami... I didn't see it, but it made the news! Kids came to school wrapped in blankets because they didn't have coats, not that they couldn't afford them, they just didn't have them.)

Yes, I know and I appreciate your well reasoned comments... I tend to get my feathers ruffled sometimes, and then the stubborn part comes out. It will pass. There are two GVs open, and if you look at the ships sailings up to mine, there are plenty of GVs open and on some sailings many other suites... so I'm guessing there isn't a rush to book GVs. Maybe I'm wrong. I also figure I can try again, speak to someone else. Can't hurt. Heck, if I wait, maybe I can work a better deal, might have to give up the OBC but save more than that in fare.

Perhaps I need to take up yoga or meditation.

FYI, your daughter is going to LOVE the trip! What a nice mom you are!!

The Alaskan views from the GV are the best! Here's what you do--bring layers including a windproof/waterproof shell. Then you can wear what you need to stay comfortable. Temps can go from the 70's or 80's (in summer) down to the 40's, so layering allows you to adjust. Nothing like a Gore-tex shell!

We just returned from the Star in the GV. It was amazing. I have attached several pics that show the upper sun deck and the bar area in the living room. We met the couple in the other villa and got a tour of their area. We much prefered our bar area to their galley kitchen. The view from deck 15 is just breath taking. I can't imagine being there in Alaska. It does get very windy when the ship is going full speed, but I would think when they are cruising at a reduced speed it would definately be usable. The last pic shows the side of the Star. The very top, by the round radar dome, you can see the GV area. You can actually see the top of the cover over the hot tub. That entire area is part of the suite. :eek: It kinda' puts it in perspective. I do have other pics if there is something specific you would like to see.

P2210029.jpg.4a99673bd1a07829a3ae4fcf0fbe2a9a.jpg

P2210067.jpg.9901103650675dc05ad844670187ffec.jpg

P2210077.jpg.bb94b2fc1d13aed7186199ff28c151d1.jpg

P2210068.jpg.5d0f36753b48481dc4dc3ea21edcd06d.jpg

P2250041.jpg.cc6f4be4394390bb9d96fcab1e6d9484.jpg

The view from deck 15 is just breath taking. I can't imagine being there in Alaska. It does get very windy when the ship is going full speed, but I would think when they are cruising at a reduced speed it would definately be usable.

Do you mean that you can't imagine being there in Alaska because it would be too cold? Or, do you mean you can't imagine how breathtaking it would be? Or both? :D

The Alaskan views from the GV are the best! Here's what you do--bring layers including a windproof/waterproof shell. Then you can wear what you need to stay comfortable. Temps can go from the 70's or 80's (in summer) down to the 40's, so layering allows you to adjust. Nothing like a Gore-tex shell!

And then, have your butler serve you hot chocolate while taking in the views.

Do you mean that you can't imagine being there in Alaska because it would be too cold? Or, do you mean you can't imagine how breathtaking it would be? Or both? :D

Both actually :D But I think the view would make me forget the cold.

thanks for the input! Which GV were you in?

We were in 14500, that's the one on the port side.

And then, have your butler serve you hot chocolate while taking in the views.

Y'know, we never thought of that! I'll have to mention it to MsEscada and to Simone when we get there.

We always take 14500 if we can, because, in our opinion, its amenities are a little nicer than 14000. But, for the Alaskan views, it doesn't matter. The views from either upper deck are amazing when glacier-hopping--and they turn the ship around so both sides get to see it all.

There are lots of great on-line shopping places for outdoor gear. Eastern Mountain Sports, Capella's, Campmor, and many others. Also, some unexpected sites like West Marine and AeroStitch (motorcycle gear) have lots of good outdoor stuff. Despite having gone Macy's, Northface still makes good gear but their top stuff is expensive, as is Marmot, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware and some others I don't really know. and Columbia gear is good quality for the price. OR gear is pretty inexpensive but I don't like it much--never seems well-cut.

A GREAT item for Alaska is a wind-proof fleece--West Marine had them long before anybody else-- for sailors--and they shed water too. They can be pricey and the outside feels funny, but they serve double duty.

Otherwise, a breathable waterproof shell of Gore-Tex or something similar, a standard fleece jacket and a thin sweater should do you for all conditions down to the 30's. A thinsulite watch cap is compact and warm and I like the fingerless climber's gloves--not as warm but you still have dexterity. Or you can get simple fleece gloves.

Good socks and good walking shoes. Rockports and Merrill make good ones as do other folks, but my favorites are Gore-Tex lined Ecco hiking shoes, and have been for at least a dozen years.

Mephisto makes even better shoes but are VERY expensive--but they last forever and Mephisto can fix them forever, which is worth it. After over a dozen years my Mephisto sandals are finally getting a rebuild, which they barely need.

If you REALLY are going to go all-out, and maybe do some glacier hiking you may want to get a Leki walking stick or a matched pair (for serious hiking). They are light aluminum, telescoping down to suitcase size, and have a removable rubber tip that covers a tungsten-carbide ice tip. They are thinner than a metal cane and you'll pay $60-$90 for each. Some have crooked handles (like a cane) but others are straight, with a removable knob that covers camera mount--makes it into a monopod!

Hope this all helps.

Why do you prefer 14500 over 14000???

I'm not pirates, but I also like 14500 over 14000 because of "The bar.":)

14500 has a full bar (gorgeous wood) with stools. 14000 has a stainless steel pantry/kitchen with a small bar area on the other side of the room. Some pax with kids may prefer 14000 because of the pantry, though.

Why do you prefer 14500 over 14000???

I prefered 14500 because of the bar area. If you are going to have a lot of parties then you might prefer 14000. The galley kitchen has a lot of stainless fridges that will hold trays of snacks. I attached a pic of the bar area and of the kitchen below.

I did find that I prefered the hot tub area in 14000. It has a stream with a small bridge over it, instead of the stream area around the hot tub in 14500. It seemed to make the deck area more open. Not that it's bad in 14500, just a little more crowed between the hot tub and the covered table area.

P2210029.jpg.931193685915c12ff9aeeebf4f237b01.jpg

P2220093.jpg.c2dc24fd2e7e8d135289b9e2cd5d21ed.jpg

P2220095.jpg.ac0af7e15af25f2f540dba4794523717.jpg

P2220096.jpg.c739b76db243078600f45cb7a9fe2a7b.jpg

14500 - has the larger, wooden, curved bar, but you think the deck area is "more crowded," and it does NOT have the bridge, just a stream???

14000 - has the stainless galley and more open deck plan??

do both have a covered outdoor table area? would it be protected from the wind at all?

14500 - has the larger, wooden, curved bar, but you think the deck area is "more crowded," and it does NOT have the bridge, just a stream???

14000 - has the stainless galley and more open deck plan??

do both have a covered outdoor table area? would it be protected from the wind at all?

Yes 14500 has the bar 14000 does not. 14500 does not have the bridge, just the stream area, and hedge around the the hot tub. In both the table area is covered and is well protected from the wind. We were able to sit in the lounge chairs when the ship was underway, and it was warm and sunny. The upper sun deck is the only area that gets pretty windy.

In the pics below the 1st is from 14000 the others are from 14500.

Here's a link to some pics from one of the other couples that went with us. They have some good pics of the outdoor area.http://community.webshots.com/user/t...host=community

P2220094.jpg.3357373b4dc9ee51ce5c9ab7a7c27ade.jpg

P2210065.jpg.69b19ec85ce856828cc703163bc1f501.jpg

P2210064.jpg.3e36b6dce9272001e6bb60fc85802709.jpg

P2210057.jpg.d396e6f5d2ca7ac7b09adc5c216194d4.jpg

Thanks so much for all the info and photos!! The courtyard area does seem a bit much to me... too much stuff going on... but not enough to turn me off from the Garden Villas!!!!

Did anyone actually use the GV hot tubs? I guess you freeze on the way out and the way back... but enjoy the water when you are in it!

Archived