Will I feel out of place cruising solo as a young passenger?

bqkali

All the bargains to Alaska have lured me into considering a cruise there ;) However, I don't have a travel companion so I'm looking at cruising solo. I've travelled solo before (and loved it), and I've cruised before (and loved it), but I've never put the two together...This board has inspired me to embrace the idea, but I am looking for some reinforcement that I will enjoy myself.

I am young (23) so I am wondering if I will be able to find people to socialize with on the ship. I am guessing that the average passenger will be older than I am, since every characteristic of the cruise tends to attract an older cruiser (it is 10 days on Celebrity Millenium to Alaska in September). I enjoy the company of people of all ages, as long as they are interested in talking to me. I am looking forward to doing my own thing in all the ports, so mostly I am curious about my time onboard. I am more of a "do-er" than a "relaxer" and I am not sure what type of activities to expect during the day. Will there be enough to entertain me? I am sure I will spend some time enjoying the scenery, but I am hoping there will still be plenty of organized activities on sea days.

I know I am lucky to be fortunate enough to have the time and money to consider this sailing and I feel a little silly worrying about all this, but I want to make sure that I have a good time if I go all the way to Alaska :)

All the bargains to Alaska have lured me into considering a cruise there ;) However, I don't have a travel companion so I'm looking at cruising solo. I've travelled solo before (and loved it), and I've cruised before (and loved it), but I've never put the two together...This board has inspired me to embrace the idea, but I am looking for some reinforcement that I will enjoy myself.

I am young (23) so I am wondering if I will be able to find people to socialize with on the ship. I am guessing that the average passenger will be older than I am, since every characteristic of the cruise tends to attract an older cruiser (it is 10 days on Celebrity Millenium to Alaska in September). I enjoy the company of people of all ages, as long as they are interested in talking to me. I am looking forward to doing my own thing in all the ports, so mostly I am curious about my time onboard. I am more of a "do-er" than a "relaxer" and I am not sure what type of activities to expect during the day. Will there be enough to entertain me? I am sure I will spend some time enjoying the scenery, but I am hoping there will still be plenty of organized activities on sea days.

I know I am lucky to be fortunate enough to have the time and money to consider this sailing and I feel a little silly worrying about all this, but I want to make sure that I have a good time if I go all the way to Alaska :)

If I were you, I would check out the roll call since it appears that you know the exact sailing that you want to go on. I know that it would only be a small number of the people on board but it may give you a little indication. Just a thought.

If I were you, I would check out the roll call since it appears that you know the exact sailing that you want to go on. I know that it would only be a small number of the people on board but it may give you a little indication. Just a thought.

Thanks - I checked the roll call and people certainly seem to be friendly (at least the few that have booked so far), so that is a great sign!

Does anyone have any idea what type of activities would be offered onboard? I tried searching for scanned copies of old schedules to give me a general idea, but had no luck.

I cruised last summer to the Bahamas solo and loved it. I met a few people from on here that were a blast to hang out with. Then during the final day I happened to become acquanted well enough with the people I had dinner with and chatted with them quite a bit. I was 26 then and hung out with mostly older people and still had a blast. Doing it again this year soon.

I'm considering cruising solo (at 22) in December, on the 3-night Bahamas cruise prior to my 4-night Western with friends.

Like you, I have traveled by myself a few times, mainly to Florida for conferences and a few short vacations, but never alone on a cruise.

I met someone on my last cruise who was in her early 20's, cruising solo not by choice, but because her friends had a delayed flight and missed the ship. They caught up with us on the 3rd day of the cruise in Cozumel, but the first two days she spent with us and another group of 20 somethings. It didn't stop her from having fun though.

Good luck on your Alaska sailing, I wish I could go, but I work in the amusement park industry and can't take vacations between May and October for obvious reasons.

Let me know what you think of your solo cruise experience.

Hi:)wish I could have cruised solo when I was younger!

(Better late than never;))

Anyway, to your question......you sound quite mature

(from what I can read on here). Millennium is a beautiful

ship. I sailed her back in Dec 2006.

Alaska has a different feel than a Caribbean Sailing.

When you ask about daytime ship activities.....they will

have some of the usual stuff....trivia, etc. But they have more

stuff pertaining to the itinerary too. They usually have a

Naturalist on board with really interesting lectures.

If the person is a good speaker it can be totally awesome.

As for the other daytime things...well, to be honest,

most folks get off the ship. I have traveled to Alaska twice

solo and it is one of best cruises I have ever been on. It

is majestic.

As for your age, I don't know if there will be many solos in

their 20s but most times cruisers are so friendly! Don't be

deterred....go and have a wonderful time:)

Oh, I definitely 2nd the roll call suggestion. It is a great

way to meet others on your sailing!

JediSkipdogg ~ I am glad you had a great experience and it makes me feel a little better about my "dilemma" (I use that term loosely because I don't think it really qualifies as a problem). I would not have any apprehension about taking a shorter cruise, but I am not sure how I feel about a 10-day cruise being my first one as solo. But logically speaking - if you like it for the first 4 or 5 days, why wouldn't you like it for 10? ;)

Brilliantseas ~ I hope you end up deciding to add that 3-day cruise! I bet you'd have a great time, and on a short cruise you are likely to find some younger passengers to hang with. Plus you'll already be in vacation mode by the time your friends join you.

Lois R ~ You, as always, have wonderful advice. Thanks for your tips on the Alaska activities. I have every intention of being off the ship while in port, but I didn't know they would have naturalists providing information on sea days. That is something I would really be interested in.

I have a cabin on hold and am just waiting to hear from my TA about any onboard credit or something to maybe take the edge off the single supplement, but I am definitely leaning toward going!

Thanks again everyone!

I’m sure you’ll have fun, especially since you like the company of people of any age. I was 26 for my first solo cruise and met very many nice people that I hang out with for a bit (from a nice older couple at embarkation that also invited me to join their table for the Lattitude party to a bunch of people between 18-22 in the night club, and I also talked to a father and son combo who invited me to joint them for dinner one night and to a bunch of 40-50 yo women who were having fun in the pub on night – very different type of people as you can see).

I’m sure you’ll find activities that interest you on the ship and since you’re cruising Alaska, you’ll be busy on excursions most days I guess.

I’ve never travelled on the Millenium but I did a Transatlantic Crossing on QM2 (6 nights – no ports at all) and there was so much to do, I had to litterally talk myself into just relaxing on deck a bit instead of running from activity to activity.

Have fun !

JediSkipdogg ~ I am glad you had a great experience and it makes me feel a little better about my "dilemma" (I use that term loosely because I don't think it really qualifies as a problem). I would not have any apprehension about taking a shorter cruise, but I am not sure how I feel about a 10-day cruise being my first one as solo. But logically speaking - if you like it for the first 4 or 5 days, why wouldn't you like it for 10? ;)

Brilliantseas ~ I hope you end up deciding to add that 3-day cruise! I bet you'd have a great time, and on a short cruise you are likely to find some younger passengers to hang with. Plus you'll already be in vacation mode by the time your friends join you.

Lois R ~ You, as always, have wonderful advice. Thanks for your tips on the Alaska activities. I have every intention of being off the ship while in port, but I didn't know they would have naturalists providing information on sea days. That is something I would really be interested in.

I have a cabin on hold and am just waiting to hear from my TA about any onboard credit or something to maybe take the edge off the single supplement, but I am definitely leaning toward going!

Thanks again everyone!

Glad I could help:)...which sailing are you looking at? If your

TA gets something off that supplement I would love to hear about

it.

They can give you on board credit but the supplement is what it is.

They can pay your insurance, give you dinner at the Specialty

Restaurant, etc...but reducing the supplement is virtually

impossible.

Just an FYI;)

Glad I could help:)...which sailing are you looking at? If your TA gets something off that supplement I would love to hear about it. They can give you on board credit but the supplement is what it is. They can pay your insurance, give you dinner at the Specialty Restaurant, etc...but reducing the supplement is virtually impossible. Just an FYI;)

I am looking at the September 18th sailing which is 10 days round-trip out of Vancouver to Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, and Victoria along with 3 sea days (all should be scenic: 2 in inside passage and 1 at Hubbard Glacier). I love the itinerary because I needed a round-trip to save on airfare and couldn't decide between 7-days that included Sitka or 7-days with Skagway and this gives me both! I know the time of year is not the greatest for Alaska, but I will make the best of it, especially since I am sure that I will be back to Alaska in the future. Maybe I will luck out and have sunny days the whole trip :)

For an inside category 11 stateroom, it is costing 165% (this is the same as purchasing directly with Celebrity via their website) but my TA is looking into how much onboard credit I am eligible for as a solo passenger. If it's not much, I may keep looking at the 7-day cruises out of Seattle or Vancouver to be a little more cost-effective.

I am looking at the September 18th sailing which is 10 days round-trip out of Vancouver to Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, and Victoria along with 3 sea days (all should be scenic: 2 in inside passage and 1 at Hubbard Glacier). I love the itinerary because I needed a round-trip to save on airfare and couldn't decide between 7-days that included Sitka or 7-days with Skagway and this gives me both! I know the time of year is not the greatest for Alaska, but I will make the best of it, especially since I am sure that I will be back to Alaska in the future. Maybe I will luck out and have sunny days the whole trip :)

For an inside category 11 stateroom, it is costing 165% (this is the same as purchasing directly with Celebrity via their website) but my TA is looking into how much onboard credit I am eligible for as a solo passenger. If it's not much, I may keep looking at the 7-day cruises out of Seattle or Vancouver to be a little more cost-effective.

Hi again:) let me know what your Travel Agent finds....Celebrity

doesn't offer discounts. The price your TA pays is the same price

you would pay booking directly with the cruiseline.

I sail solo every time...the only thing I get is a one category

upgrade...but that is only inside to inside or window to window.

Anyway, good luck:)

Oh, as for credits.....if you book a cruise while you are on another

ship (on a cruise) you can credit for the new cruise.....make sense?

I booked my upcoming CENTURY cruise while I was on Mercury. I am

getting a 50.00 on board credit for this new cruise.

Thanks again everyone - I just booked the cruise!! My TA was able to offer the same price as Celebrity (165%) along with prepaid gratuities and $75 OBC (and half deposit). It sounded good to me, so I will be off to Alaska in the fall!

Does anyone have any suggestions for which dining time is better for solos?

Thanks again everyone - I just booked the cruise!! My TA was able to offer the same price as Celebrity (165%) along with prepaid gratuities and $75 OBC (and half deposit). It sounded good to me, so I will be off to Alaska in the fall!

Does anyone have any suggestions for which dining time is better for solos?

Congratulations on the booking:)

I always request late seating..and a large table;)..its a really

nice way to meet other folks:D

An 8 top is a good size table!

I would also opt for late seating. Most families and elderly people will choose early seating and younger people (couples, group, solos) often choose late seating.

Have fun!

I would also opt for late seating. Most families and elderly people will choose early seating and younger people (couples, group, solos) often choose late seating.

Have fun!

Agreed. Late seating seemed to be just right for our group of 21-26 year olds. I knew two other people that just happened to end up on the same sailing as us, but they had early seating and complained because they had to come back to the ship early while in port to get ready for dinner and also missed out on the captain's reception because their dinner went long that night.

I chose late seating, just thought I'd check while I still had plenty of time to change it if I needed to. I didn't want to have to rush back to the ship to change and instead wanted the time in port so it's a bonus that later is a good time for solos :) I also requested a large table. Now I just have to get used to eating so late - I eat late at home, but with the time change I am sure I will be all screwed up! 8:30 pacific time is 11:30 eastern time! :eek:

Thanks again for all your advice everyone!

I chose late seating, just thought I'd check while I still had plenty of time to change it if I needed to. I didn't want to have to rush back to the ship to change and instead wanted the time in port so it's a bonus that later is a good time for solos :) I also requested a large table. Now I just have to get used to eating so late - I eat late at home, but with the time change I am sure I will be all screwed up! 8:30 pacific time is 11:30 eastern time! :eek:

Thanks again for all your advice everyone!

Hi,:) no worries about the timing...if you get hungry before dinner

there is sushi available up at the buffet area, along with

a pizza/pasta station:D

You can nosh a little ..have a drink, relax, etc...etc...;)

Archived