booking tips and tricks

How far out do you book a cruise? 18 month or 18 days?

is there a best time of year to shop for a Caribbean cruise? during the winter? how about New England or Alaska or Europe or your favorite?

do you book through the cruise line, online consolidator or TA?

what tips can you offer to book a cruise at the best price? and are things changing in the industry that has affected your cruise shopping?

we book as far as 9 months to a year out because of other responsibilites --i book as soon as we are committed to the trip because until there is money down the trip is not real--------------i do the best job i can comparing prices for the cruise and then i book it and try not to look back regarding a lower price somewhere down the line---the last 3 cruises all went to the same on line ta because of their reputation and price and i havent been dissapointed with their service and promptness

Our cruise in February was booked LAST November. The price was just right- Havent seen it at the price ever. And yes I do check all the time. Now its soldout.

I like to book at least a year in advance and find someone that takes monthly payments. I am now looking and waiting patiently for pricing for 2006- when they come out you know I will be booked.

I check almsot every online agency for prices until I find one that I am comfortable with. I know that I want an aft balcony close to the water. So I look for those and price that.

Before I book I ask some very important questions- s tuff I learned over the last few years.

I want an agency that will give me ANY price reductions up til the day of sailing. (On the Victory we learned a very expensive lesson as that agent only gave us reductions up til final payment. That cruise came down almsot 200pp by the time we cruised- we had 7 people sailing- that IS A lot of money.

I also dont want an agency that is gonna charge me for making any changes. (the cruise lines dont so I dont know why they have to.

I dont want to pay 20 bucks for documents. I want them for free. (LOL)

Dont charge me fo taking my business. If I decide I cant make payments dont charge me 50$ pp to cancel.

The past few years we have booked our next cruise while on the ship. Our Masdam trip was booked last April while on the Rotterdam.

We have found that not only do we get the on board credit, our TA is protected, and our cost is normally 5-10% lower. Our agent is very good about checking for price reductions and if there is a price drop we receive it.

The other advantage is that we leave the ship knowing that our next cruise is in the works. :D

Due to work reasons (I will be unreachable for eight days), I booked back in May. When the prices came down and upgrades were being offerred, I called my agent and got booked up from a Spirit 8C to a Spirit 8I. My mother and I are very happy.

How much time is left again?

When choosing a online TA or otherwise, be sure they do not charge penalties if you cancell. A good TA will monitor prices for you and if they come down will get you $$$ credit or an upgrade. My TA does this and more!

• 2 weeks later...

I see posts on here all the time telling people to look for agencies that do not charge cancellation fees. That is insane. TA's do spend time getting stuff arranged for you and handling any issues that come up so why are you set on making sure that they don't get compensated for their time?

Archived