If anyone has some questions about Brazilian Ports

msclover

Santa Teresa is a slowly gentrifying neighborhood of charming houses, set up on a hill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Teresa_(Rio_de_Janeiro)

The main problem there right now is convenience, convenient transportation in particular, since the trolley line was shut down because of an accident some time ago. There are buses (perhaps a bit complicated for a tourist to figure out) and taxis (some of which do not like going up the hill). And not all parts of the neighborhood are safe for a spontaneous stroll around (as Ipanema, Leblon, and most of Copacabana are), esp. in the evening.

But there is a network of interesting B&Bs: http://www.camaecafe.com.br/

And yes, it is the high end Santa Teresa Hotel that you mention, probably:

http://www.santa-teresa-hotel.com/en

The high end restaurant is probably Aprazivel:

http://www.aprazivel.com.br/aprazivel800.htm

Bar do Mineiro is also popular and well known, but more casual:

http://bardomineiro.net/

Really, Rio needs at least about 4-5 days for a good first pass visit (IMO), to begin to get the flavor of the place.

But do enjoy your trip, Jorge. Perhaps by the end of your 3 days, you will be planning your next visit, including more of the interesting destinations in Brazil as well. :-)

Really, Rio needs at least about 4-5 days for a good first pass visit (IMO), to begin to get the flavor of the place.

But do enjoy your trip, Jorge. Perhaps by the end of your 3 days, you will be planning your next visit, including more of the interesting destinations in Brazil as well. :-)

VidaNaPraia,

The Santa Teresa hotel looks lovely, so I'm considering it, but it seems to be inconvenient locations for transport. I'll decide in the next few weeks. Thank you for the link.

I would love to try all those restaurants listed, I love good food but that would be very expensive and it will not be visiting Rio. I love visiting small coffee shops and restaurants where local eat to try the local cuisine, but on the last evening, visit a high end place.

We will be visiting Niagara falls before the cruise, one day in the Argentinian side and one day on the Brazilian side. I think the next trip to South America would be a cruise in the Amazon river. So yes, I'm already planning to return to Brazil. Oh, and don't forget Carnival in Rio, also in my bucket list. :-)

Thank you again.

Jorge

Vida,

We are ending our cruise in Rio and are then going to Iguazu Falls for the next three days. Our flight to Foz isn't until late afternoon so will need reliable transportation from the ship to the airport. We know we will probably have to wait a long time. Then coming back we arrive in the late morning but our flight back to the US isn't until the next day. I wanted to have breathing room dealing with the flights so that is the reason for the major time gaps. We are staying at the Aculpulco Copacabana for one night. We hope that is in a safe area. We don't have much planned that day, but we will need transport from the airport to the hotel. We are hoping to leave some of our luggage there before we go to the Falls. Then the day we leave Rio for the last time we have secured Manu for a tour of Rio plus airport drop off.

We appreciate any suggestions for the transfers to the airport and if another hotel would be better. If you know approximate cost, that would be helpful also. We do know we will need a Brazilian visa and an Argentine entrance fee paid prior to our trip. We are excited about this trip and are just trying to do our research to minimize surprises. Thank you for your help.

Pearl

Vida,

We are ending our cruise in Rio and are then going to Iguazu Falls for the next three days. Our flight to Foz isn't until late afternoon so will need reliable transportation from the ship to the airport. We know we will probably have to wait a long time. Then coming back we arrive in the late morning but our flight back to the US isn't until the next day. I wanted to have breathing room dealing with the flights so that is the reason for the major time gaps. We are staying at the Aculpulco Copacabana for one night. We hope that is in a safe area. We don't have much planned that day, but we will need transport from the airport to the hotel. We are hoping to leave some of our luggage there before we go to the Falls. Then the day we leave Rio for the last time we have secured Manu for a tour of Rio plus airport drop off.

We appreciate any suggestions for the transfers to the airport and if another hotel would be better. If you know approximate cost, that would be helpful also. We do know we will need a Brazilian visa and an Argentine entrance fee paid prior to our trip. We are excited about this trip and are just trying to do our research to minimize surprises. Thank you for your help.

Pearl

From the airport to the hotel, simply take a regular yellow taxi outside the terminal.(Some people feel more secure in a pre-paid taxi, though, that you can book and pay for inside the terminal.)

The hotel you mention is in Leme, the far end of the beach with Copacabana. I would book elsewhere (further toward the other end of the beach, for example), both because of location and reviews on TA.

Thank you, Vida. I did change our hotel to the Windsor Copa based on Trip Advisors' reviews. It was a little more expensive but not as much as some closer to Fort Copacabana which had less than good reviews. Hopefully, this number 4 rating will work well for us. Manu had recommended a hotel a couple of clocks away from the Windsor Copa but its price was way beyond our comfort zone, especially when it was for only one night. I know Rio is expensive but hopefully we will have a good experience at the Windsor.

Thank you for getting from the airport via the yellow cabs. Would you advise us to do the same when leaving the ship?

Your advise has been very valuable.

Pearl

Personally, while I sometimes find it helpful to read the actual reviews, I don't think much of the TA rating system. TA contributors tend to have a certain "personality". What if there is a gem of a place that no one on TA has heard of or reported on, one that may well be better than some numbered one on there? It gets no rating. Or if only one person has discovered and reported on it as yet, instead of 100? Silly system. (And I know this to be true for the city I know most intimately in Brazil.)

Yes, Rio hotels are some of the most expensive in the world right now. And there is said to be a shortage of rooms.

If the new hotel is the Windsor Copacabana on the street Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, do ask for a room that is back from the street, a very busy and noisy one with lots of traffic. But it is fun to stroll along that street and people watch. Lots of restaurants too.

And yes, there will be lots of taxis waiting at the pier. Look for the name and phone number of the cooperative to which it belongs painted on the back fender. These taxis from the cooperativas are known quantities. Make sure the taxi uses its meter and the meter is set to 1 (for day).

Have a great time.

And yes, there will be lots of taxis waiting at the pier. Look for the name and phone number of the cooperative to which it belongs painted on the back fender. These taxis from the cooperativas are known quantities. Make sure the taxi uses its meter and the meter is set to 1 (for day).

VidaNaPraia, we were thinking of taking a taxi from the cruise pier to see Corcovado and Sugarloaf while our ship is docked in Rio. Are there taxi minivans at the pier? Or only the smaller taxis that hold 4 passengers? Should we prebook or just take our chances to find a driver with rudimentary English?

VidaNaPraia, we were thinking of taking a taxi from the cruise pier to see Corcovado and Sugarloaf while our ship is docked in Rio. Are there taxi minivans at the pier? Or only the smaller taxis that hold 4 passengers? Should we prebook or just take our chances to find a driver with rudimentary English?

IMO if you are looking for a larger taxi with an English speaking driver (of any level), you should book ahead.

Carry a phrase book, and try to write down addresses/destinations to show the driver.

Few people anywhere in Brazil, even in the tourism industry, speak English, although some upper class Cariocas (Rio natives) might.

(possibly interesting factoid: Did you know that the same "normal" Toyota sedan model, for example, that costs maybe U$20K in the US, costs the equivalent of U$40K in Brazil?)

(possibly interesting factoid: Did you know that the same "normal" Toyota sedan model, for example, that costs maybe U$20K in the US, costs the equivalent of U$40K in Brazil?)

WOW! And that is the reason why the wealthy Brazilians are buying those luxury condos in Miami, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

A new question. Does anyone know if you can rent a 4x4 or hire a 4x4 tour from an independent company on Ilhabela once you get off the ship, as opposed to doing a ship's excursion?

Speaking of taxi fares, using the regular taxis, how much departing the port in Rio to the airport on a Sunday and then again on a Wednesday around noon from the airport to our hotel. On Copacabana-Windsor Copacabana Hotel on Avenue Nossa Senhora. We have a tour and airport drop off arranged for our final day in Rio on that Thursday. We just need to have a ballpark fee for the first two. Also, should we have cash(reis) or will the drivers accept credit cards or is cash safer? How much to tip? Thanks for all your help in our panning.

Pearl

You might find this site helpful:

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Rio-de-Janeiro-Brazil

Speaking of taxi fares, using the regular taxis, how much departing the port in Rio to the airport on a Sunday

I would estimate about R$25-30.

and then again on a Wednesday around noon from the airport to our hotel. On Copacabana-Windsor Copacabana Hotel on Avenue Nossa Senhora.

As mentioned:

From Copacabana with a regular yellow taxi, it should be about R$50-60 (on the meter--day, 1), depending on traffic.

for Copacabana in general.

Also, should we have cash(reis) or will the drivers accept credit cards or is cash safer? How much to tip?

The regular yellow taxis take cash (in reais) only. There are 2 bandeiras, 1 and 2, (1) for regular daytime hours and (2) for nights, weekends, holidays.

The more expensive pre-paid taxis from the airport into the city take credit cards at the booth inside the airport. They may give a small discount for cash. They give you a receipt to take outside the terminal to the driver. The pre-paid taxis would be around R$90 for the same route.

Some people consider the pre-paid taxis safer, but IMO the regular yellow taxis (with the name and phone number of the taxi cooperative painted on the rear fender) are fine.

There is usually a R$1-2 fee added in for each bag.

Tipping usually involves just rounding up to the next real (i.e. if R$19,50 to R$20,00), but I'm sure something larger wouldn't be refused.

A new question. Does anyone know if you can rent a 4x4 or hire a 4x4 tour from an independent company on Ilhabela once you get off the ship, as opposed to doing a ship's excursion?

------------------------

I found this (Googling):

http://ecoviagem.uol.com.br/brasil/sao-paulo/ilhabela/agencia-turismo/locailha-locadora-de-veiculos-e-turismo/

Products and services offered:

BeachBuggy rental 8am to 6pm R$150

BeachBuggy rental 24 hours R$200

Motorcycle rental 8am to 6pm R$95

cyt tour: tour of the coast, beaches, waterfalls and historic center of IlhaBela R$ 50,00

All Day tour to the beach at praia dos castelhanos and waterfall

R$ 70,00

---------------------

I'm sure there are others with similar offerings for both tours and rental.

I will try to help you, as a brazilian, answering questions about Brazilian Season!

Hi,

Any suggestions for these ports Montevideo, Punta del Este, Uruguay,

Puerto Madryn, Argentina, Ushuaia, Argentina, Punta Arenas, Chile, and Puerto Montt, Chile?

Can these be done on our own, or do we need a tour?

Thanks

I will try to help you, as a brazilian, answering questions about Brazilian Season!

Hi,

Any suggestions for these ports Montevideo, Punta del Este, Uruguay,

Puerto Madryn, Argentina, Ushuaia, Argentina, Punta Arenas, Chile, and Puerto Montt, Chile?

Can these be done on our own, or do we need a tour?

Thanks

@Gerioo1- I don't think our Brazilian friend has been back on this thread since she started it in March of 2009.

I myself am familiar with only the Brazilian port cities/towns, but I am sure I have seen other threads covering the question for the ports you mentioned in Uruguay, Argentina and Chile. You might search in the older threads.

Archived