What do you do to get out of going to Muster Drill?

pnjkeith

I do not encourage anyone to miss muster drill.... but..... I plan to sit the next one out in the closest open area. I almost passed out at the last one. I'm very claustrophobic and was in a panic during the entire thing. Believe me, I couldn't tell you where, what, when or who when it was over. All I could think of was, "GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!!!" So, I will politely let the Carnival Staff know that I will either stand in the hallway and listen or I will pass out or kill the passenger next to me.... and I have a medical certificate to help in court!!!!!! That said..... NEVER MISS MUSTER DRILL.... IT WILL ONE DAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

I am claustrophobic also and I just let the staff know and they put me in front of everyone else so that I didn't get sick...I was also 5 months pregnant and could lose my lunch without warning so it was a good idea to stand in the front. They also let me leave a minute early so I wouldn't get trampled in the crowds. Usually I am ok for long enough to make it through the drill though.

I do not encourage anyone to miss muster drill.... but..... I plan to sit the next one out in the closest open area. I almost passed out at the last one. I'm very claustrophobic and was in a panic during the entire thing. Believe me, I couldn't tell you where, what, when or who when it was over. All I could think of was, "GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!!!" So, I will politely let the Carnival Staff know that I will either stand in the hallway and listen or I will pass out or kill the passenger next to me.... and I have a medical certificate to help in court!!!!!! That said..... NEVER MISS MUSTER DRILL.... IT WILL ONE DAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Well, that medical certificate certainly isn't going to help you in case of a real emergency. What will happen then, do you suppose...... I guess there will be plenty of chairs available in the nearest lounge for ya.

You got to be kidding!

You really do not think they count 3000 people for the drill do you?

Ever notice that the cabins numbers are clearly stenciled on the life jackets? Ever notice the crew members with clipboards?

I know on the Conquest last year that our drill lasted 45 minutes and we missed sail away because of it. My kids got to miss seeing the sail away on their one and only cruise to date because of people like you. So thank you very much, we all appreicate that.:mad: I did ask the crew member what was taking so long and he said not everyone was present. Someone asked jokingly if they counted everyone and he said that the room stewards check the closets for the life jackets and then report if all their rooms are cleared. There were several not clear and they were paging them to report to their muster station. So yes on that cruise they did count and it made it miserable for those of us who were on time and waiting. So a BIG thanks to all of you who do that!!!!

Ever notice that the cabins numbers are clearly stenciled on the life jackets? Ever notice the crew members with clipboards?

No' date=' I have not seen that in 35 Carnival cruises. They have never taken ANY type of head count. (well, I have seen the cabin #'s on the jackets!)

I can say the same for 3 Celebrity cruises and 1 RCCL.

The ONLY cruise where they checked EVERYONE off a list was on the (PLEASE SCRAP THIS SHIP) Imperial Majesty "Regal Empress". Oddly, it was the most thorough muster drill we have ever attended. Perhaps that's because the ship is in more danger of something happening to it! :eek:

From Frommer's :

[i']"Imperial Majesty Cruises has been around since 1999, first operating the steamship OceanBreeze, then, following the bankruptcy of Regal Cruises, taking over the Regal Empress -- which, due to her age, was in serious danger of being sold for scrap. Big thanks go out to Imperial Majesty president Arthur Pollack for the reprieve, because ships like this are rare birds in the 21st century, and getting rarer every day. In 2010, Empress's kind of woody interiors and mazelike layout will be prohibited by international safety-at-sea regulations, and it's an open question as to whether the line will invest the funds needed to bring her into compliance. There's also been talk of turning the old girl into a museum of Greek maritime history, permanently moored in either Greece or New England. Stay tuned."[/i]

Tom

I always go but wait several minutes after they call so that we get the front row...this way it isn't hot or cramped and the first ones back to the room! I love my Muster Drill pics...so funny! Here is us at the Muster drill on my wedding day aboard the Valor-didn't even skip iteven thought it was literally five minutes after my reception ended

IMG_3732.jpg

But on the Freedom in February they told us to leave the life jackets off then showed how to put them on and take them off....about 5 seconds with it on total...that was the first time I experienced Carnival doing it like that

I always go but wait several minutes after they call so that we get the front row...this way it isn't hot or cramped and the first ones back to the room! I love my Muster Drill pics...so funny! Here is us at the Muster drill on my wedding day aboard the Valor-didn't even skip iteven thought it was literally five minutes after my reception ended

IMG_3732.jpg

But on the Freedom in February they told us to leave the life jackets off then showed how to put them on and take them off....about 5 seconds with it on total...that was the first time I experienced Carnival doing it like that

You two sure appear to have been enjoying yourselves, and why not!

Congratulations!

Tom

I believe the OP said "What do you do to get out of Muster Drill", not "What do you get out of Muster Drill".

Exactly. I guess this thread got hijacked. But lots of people stated an opinion about something else. Sure is hard to find some fun folks on CC.

Exactly. I guess this thread got hijacked. But lots of people stated an opinion about something else. Sure is hard to find some fun folks on CC.

And sometimes, just when it gets "interesting"... threads go *POOF* ! :eek:

Tom

Your right. I should have said mustard drill, not muster. Then i could have got me lots of advice! LMAO

You must mean "lot's" of ADVISE!!

(to the CC PATROL - this is an INSIDE JOKE, I am NOT correcting him! :rolleyes:)

Tom

On Rcl They check you off a list with your cabin # if you don't show they go find you. they know who you are

Whats that got to do with original post? I askeed what you do to miss muster? Still hijacking! :confused:

I am not really looking forward to the drill since the last time I remember feeling very confined. This time I will have my kids with me so it is more important then ever to attend. I am not looking forward to dealing with my ADHD, OCD twelve year old but I am going to suck it up. It only lasts a short time then to the bar I will go.

I am not really looking forward to the drill since the last time I remember feeling very confined. This time I will have my kids with me so it is more important then ever to attend. I am not looking forward to dealing with my ADHD, OCD twelve year old but I am going to suck it up. It only lasts a short time then to the bar I will go.

Go BEFORE too !!! ;)

Tom

We sat on balcony, closed door and curtains. No one ever found us. Was fun to miss the big crowds, just thought it would be fun.

Flame away!

HA HA HA HA! I guess I'm not the only one with a curious mind!

Watch out for TheVegasMan, the troll will now come after you. :eek::eek::eek:

Well' date=' that medical certificate certainly isn't going to help you in case of a real emergency. What will happen then, do you suppose...... I guess there will be plenty of chairs available in the nearest lounge for ya.[/quote']

Wow. I didn't say I would be in the lounge sipping a cocktail while everyone else was at muster. I said I would be in the hallway or open space listening to muster. And if you don't have claustrophobia, you have no idea what I'm talking about. But thanks for the encouraging post.... back atcha!!!!!

Wow. I didn't say I would be in the lounge sipping a cocktail while everyone else was at muster. I said I would be in the hallway or open space listening to muster. And if you don't have claustrophobia, you have no idea what I'm talking about. But thanks for the encouraging post.... back atcha!!!!!

Lounge would be way better than muster! Thats the spirit!

You must mean "lot's" of ADVISE!!

(to the CC PATROL - this is an INSIDE JOKE, I am NOT correcting him! :rolleyes:)

Tom

I was looking at your smugmug photo's of the February Freedom Cruise. I love the artwork. Who was the artist???? I am a tropical bird fan. I used to have an Indian ringneck parrokeet. He used to talk like crazy. He was so beautiful. His favorite thing to do was talk on the phone. He loved to ask the caller what they were doing. Cute. Was your room a corner aft? I believe my husband and I are going to book one of those on our september 2010 cruise. Great photos... as always!

Wow, I hope I'm the one that runs into the people that 'sat out' the muster drill when there is a true emergency. I could really mess with someone's mind on that one and totally enjoy myself :)

You probably wouldn't get the chance.....those are likely the ones that shove the women and children out of their way en route to the lifeboat.:rolleyes:

I was looking at your smugmug photo's of the February Freedom Cruise. I love the artwork. Who was the artist???? I am a tropical bird fan. I used to have an Indian ringneck parrokeet. He used to talk like crazy. He was so beautiful. His favorite thing to do was talk on the phone. He loved to ask the caller what they were doing. Cute. Was your room a corner aft? I believe my husband and I are going to book one of those on our september 2010 cruise. Great photos... as always!

We were looking forward to our return to Costa Rica SPECIFICALLY for those painted feathers - likely the single major reason we booked the cruise to begin with! There are several dozen vendors after you get off the ship there. The name of the artist is "Jimmy". He is the one selling them there also. We stumbled across him when we were there on the Legend in March of 2007. At that time we bought two. After getting them home, we found a nice place in our living room for them. We were keeping our fingers crossed that he was still there, and we were not disappointed. They are VERY reasonably priced - I think we picked up two of the large ones for $20 each, and the smaller ones (buying a few) were something like $12.50. I almost felt GUILTY getting all of those for a STEAL like that!!

Yes, we were in cabin #6483 (Aft-corner). Deck 6 corners are the only 2 cabins we will sail in on Conquest class ships. We have yet to find our favorite corner on the Dream class, but with our 3 cruises on her, we are trying one of each!

Tom

Archived