Alaska in July...

kandlwed

Hi all,

We are thinking of possibly doing an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in July. Is this a good time of year? What are the pros or cons? How is it out of Seattle. I just started thinking about this today, so I have not really investigated a lot.

Thank you! :-)

I tend to like the period between mid-July to mid-Aug from a weather point of view. I would not choose to sail a 7 day return out of Seattle and would do it out of Vancouver. The ships out of Seattle sail on the west side of Vancouver Island and do not enter the Inside Passage until north of Vancouver Island...so you are without scenery for about 1.5 days in either direction plus subject to the sea conditions of the north Pacific. Whereas the ships out of Vancouver sail entirely in the Inside Passage, have scenery pretty much 24/7 and sail in much calmer waters.

Agree with Putterdude. If you have the money and time, the best of all is a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage (the ports are Whittier or Seward) or opposite. I prefer NB but just as many prefer SB. They get farther into Alaska than the roundtrips and also let you visit Denali or the Kenai Peninsula post or pre-cruise.

We went last July and had a great time, even though it was one of the wettest summers on record. July is definitely peak season, so if you are considering this July you're late in the game and I would hurry up and book a cruise and start planning. The fares are incredibly low this coming season. I think a lot of people are going to AK; some of the more popular tours are starting to sell out according to posts on this board.

I've gone in all the cruise season timeframes. Bottom line, no way to predict any weather in Alaska. July has just as good a chance of fair sailing. :)

I am a big advocate of round trip Vancouver, and I don't think one ways, WITHOUT interior land touring, being superior. IF you have a couple weeks, this is the top choice however. :)

Head to your library and take out Alaska by Cruiseship, and Alaska travel books, the more you know the better your selection will be for your priority of Alaska travel.

I'v done both and it is easier and cheaper (airfair wise) to do the RT out of Seattle. I love Seattle but also enjoyed the time spent in Vancouver. Really wanted to do another trip out of Vancover this July and since this is a BD trip for DH and he wanted to go out of Seattle again.

We cruised the Alaska inside passage last year in July roundtrip out of Seattle. We live in Florida, so we got much better deals on the roundtrip airfare into and out of Seattle. If/when we cruise Alaska again, I will be sure to go back in July, the temperature was in the upper 60's lower 70's everyday, and we had perfect sunshine weather...it was just beautiful.

Archived