nickle and dime

popye

Caribbean Princess: Four of us (2 couples) did a 14 day out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean aboard the Caribbean Princess. It's indeed a beautiful ship, BUT these big ships are top heavy and it moved alot. My wife has become acustomed to the motion, but if she was like she used to be, she would've been very sick much of the cruise. We were on deck 14 forward and found it wonderfully quiet. The beds weren't as comfortable as Carnival's though. What was irksome was the fact that Princess has decided to charge $2 for a capaccino. That's just chincey! This was my 10th cruise and our friends' 21st cruise and it was the first time we ever had to pay for capaccino's after dinner.

I did like the fact that there was a laundraumat on our deck with free irons and you need that on a 2 week cruise. They've relaxed their scrutiny about drinks in your cabin fridge which was wonderful.

Another drawback was that the gym is over staterooms and therefore they don't allow anyone on the treadmills before 8:00 AM. We normally like to have that workout done by that time. I found the $75 additional charge for one to use the thermal suite was a dissapointment. The steamrooms are too small and the best one is the smallest. Many times I couldn't get in to it as it only holds 4 people.

I think I would've enjoyed the "Sanctuary", but there were only 2 sea days in the 14 days and thus not enough time to even make any use of it.

All in all it was a great cruise and I'd do it again at the drop of a bit of money. Thank-you Princess for not checking our bags when boarding. Having a nice drink in the cabin or on your balcony is a treat.

Caribbean Princess: Four of us (2 couples) did a 14 day out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean aboard the Caribbean Princess. It's indeed a beautiful ship, BUT these big ships are top heavy and it moved alot. My wife has become acustomed to the motion, but if she was like she used to be, she would've been very sick much of the cruise. We were on deck 14 forward and found it wonderfully quiet. The beds weren't as comfortable as Carnival's though. What was irksome was the fact that Princess has decided to charge $2 for a capaccino. That's just chincey! This was my 10th cruise and our friends' 21st cruise and it was the first time we ever had to pay for capaccino's after dinner.

I did like the fact that there was a laundraumat on our deck with free irons and you need that on a 2 week cruise. They've relaxed their scrutiny about drinks in your cabin fridge which was wonderful.

Another drawback was that the gym is over staterooms and therefore they don't allow anyone on the treadmills before 8:00 AM. We normally like to have that workout done by that time. I found the $75 additional charge for one to use the thermal suite was a dissapointment. The steamrooms are too small and the best one is the smallest. Many times I couldn't get in to it as it only holds 4 people.

I think I would've enjoyed the "Sanctuary", but there were only 2 sea days in the 14 days and thus not enough time to even make any use of it.

All in all it was a great cruise and I'd do it again at the drop of a bit of money. Thank-you Princess for not checking our bags when boarding. Having a nice drink in the cabin or on your balcony is a treat.

If motion bothers your wife, next time you should try midship

Looks like the OP didn't do their research or have a good TA before choosing a cabin on deck 14. Any good TA would have advised you against it if anyone in the cabin is prone to seasickness. Heck, most of the better cabins are on lower decks unless, of course, you had a full suite but I still wouldn't book a cabin on deck 14 if I were prone to seasickness. Also, it's well-known that the Grand-class ships, such as the Caribbean Princess, have a very shallow draft and tend to have more motion on the upper decks. But it's also true that any ship with 14+ decks will have more motion the higher you go, whether Princess or not.

As for the nickle & diming and being "chintzy", that's what's keeping the price of your, and my, cruise down. I have absolutely no desire -- ever -- to have a cappuchino so I have no problem with Princess charging for it. Since I never use the thermal spa, and never will, again I have no problem with an extra charge.

Glad you had a great cruise otherwise.

Since I never use the thermal spa, and never will, again I have no problem with an extra charge.

Okay, since I've asked enough dumb questions in my own threads, I'll ask this dumb question in someone else's thread (without hijacking it;)), where is the Thermal Spa and is there a charge to use it?:confused:

Jim

The thermal spa is located at the Lotus Spa, front of the ship by trident grill on deck 16. You have to pay for use of the spa, unless you are in a suite.

Great thread yesterday by the way.

When you say "thermal spa", are you referring to a sauna? I didn't know that one should pay so much money to use the ship's sauna... Is there any free sauna around the gym? I love sauna, so if it is indeed that expensive, it'd be a big bummer for me... :(

The thermal suite is two steam rooms, heated stone beds and two different showers. It cost about $130.00 per couple for the cruise. The great thing about it , there are only so many passes sold for cruise, so it is alway a great place to get away from the other 3000 people on board. There is a free sanua by the spa through.

Archived