Carnival Cruise formal night for my dh

Since it was stated that a shirt and tie is good for formal night, dh doesn't want to do the tux. Here is my question, what is a good color shirt and tie for him to wear with me wearing a black dress???? I can't decide, I pick the shirt and then I can't find the right tie, then, if I find the tie, it is then the shirt...need help, please.

I looked back at my photos from formal night on Carnival...my DH and dad both wore dark suits with a white shirt and tie...that way you can pretty much wear any tie! Is your DH going to wear a jacket? If not, I personally like a nice blue shirt with a tie with some blue and green in it (sorry, it's hard to describe, wish I had a picture!)

If he doesn't wear a jacket, I always find that a black shirt looks nice, maybe with a grey and black stripes tie (I'm not a fan of ties without a jacket myself but if he really doesn't want to wear a jacket, I think a black shirt will blend in better than a color one).

Since it was stated that a shirt and tie is good for formal night, dh doesn't want to do the tux. Here is my question, what is a good color shirt and tie for him to wear with me wearing a black dress???? I can't decide, I pick the shirt and then I can't find the right tie, then, if I find the tie, it is then the shirt...need help, please.

Here's the deal on this...

I know that the men are starting to do this on Carnival.

But when they do this, and it is colored or patterned shirts and ties - they look like businessmen who lost their luggage...

Any color shirt and tie without a jacket is going to look like that...

2e0dabd502a64744e277b8a72de5fa69.jpg464750_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpegNM-1MFP_mt.jpg

Especially if there is pattern anywhere.

continuing below...

There are a few ways to step this up and make it work (slightly) better...

Agreeing with jp2001 on a black shirt.

That will visually "feel" more Elegant/Formal if there is no jacket.

Then pair it with a plain black tie, or gray/silver tie.

Or a dark grey/silver shirt with a plain black tie is another slightly more Elegant option than any other color.

To me though, it still looks like you forgot your jacket.

If you aren't going to wear a jacket, then a nice more modern option is to wear a pleated tuxedo shirt (flat collar).

Even without a tie (which is how I'd wear it if I was going for that option) it will look more Formal/Elegant than a plain shirt without a jacket.

Black ones will especially work:

476865_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

This one is from Macy's.

NMN0E2Z_mt.jpg

NovaBlackLayDownCollarStripedTuxedoShirt1.jpg

eab13a4474a177f47e053361e2cce9d0.jpg

Hopefully I'm expressing the ideas well here...

There's my three cents!

Curt, if I haven't said it before, you rock!!!

First of all - thank you so much!

I try to just help, and give out new ideas whenever I can, so I really appreciate it!

I think it also depends on the age.

Younger men I think can get away with the more contemporary look then say my hubby who is heavier and 65.

He would just look like the Maitre D that forgot his jacket, lol

Regarding this...

I agree in a certain way.;)

On the one hand, if I was "heavier and 65", I personally wouldn't wear a shirt and tie without a jacket anyway.

Just a simple thing like putting on a jacket or blazer, is a much more sophisticated and flattering silhouette for that particular size and age range man - over the tucked in dress shirt and tie with no jacket pictured above.

But...

There is still yet another option for that situation (better than a shirt and tie with no jacket, on Carnival, where it's "Elegant Night" and you don't want to look like you forgot your coat)...

And that would be a beautiful Long Sleeved Guayabera!:D

5953cca73a9de7966e9072b1bf64a53a.JPG9466760d2eb56cfd32c6dab61b03990c.jpg

Especially if it's something really nice like Irish Linen.

It's a tropical "formal" shirt, originally meant for weddings and such in the Caribbean area.

It's area appropriate for cruises to The Caribbean and Mexico.

It's designed to be worn un-tucked, and the silhouette would be very flattering for a "heavier and 65" year old.

There is always a way to "make it work", if you just think outside the box a little!

If this helps anyone reading in the future, I'm just trying to help out by being a little creative in the parameters folks!

Enjoy!

:cool:

Archived