NCL cabin doors: To decorate or not to decorate

Azure Moon

I just posted on a cabin door decorating thread in another forum and thought I'd ask about NCL's position on this since in their Freestyle Daily they'd written:

"Door Decorations: Be safe - overly decorated stateroom doors can pose a fire hazard, so please keep your decorations inside your room."

I've seen wedding, anniversary, and birthday decorations on NCL cabin doors. So I'm wondering...

Is this a new position they've taken, or has it always been their position? Are outer door decorations forbidden unless they're for a special occasion?

Anyone else think the statement is confusing because it states overly decorated stateroom doors then says to keep them in your room?

And do you, or don't you, decorate your NCL door?

My thoughts are that if you do a simple door decoration, ie. just a sign on the door saying congrats for whatever or happy birthday, etc, it will be fine. I think if you were to try to decorate it with streamers and baloons they would remove it. It is not only a fire hazard, but the hallways are not very wide at all and it is a pain to those trying to walk by them without tearing them down. I think what you quoted is what NCL's official policy is so that if they do find someone has over decorated, they can say.. "well here is where our policy is clearly stated". Just my opinion.

I've never seen that before. It must be something new; I'm assuming you are referring to your 1/09 cruise. I'm curious as well.:confused:

Yes, the 1/09 cruise.

The statement was on the back page of the Freestyle Dailies - first item, in the blue box, bottom right.

I just posted on a cabin door decorating thread in another forum and thought I'd ask about NCL's position on this since in their Freestyle Daily they'd written:

"Door Decorations: Be safe - overly decorated stateroom doors can pose a fire hazard, so please keep your decorations inside your room."

I've seen wedding, anniversary, and birthday decorations on NCL cabin doors. So I'm wondering...

Is this a new position they've taken, or has it always been their position? Are outer door decorations forbidden unless they're for a special occasion?

Anyone else think the statement is confusing because it states overly decorated stateroom doors then says to keep them in your room?

And do you, or don't you, decorate your NCL door?

Well I am planning on decorating my door with a sign for St. Patricks day, so I hope it will be ok. I found on my last cruise I was able to find my room a lot easier. Of course since I am the last room on my hall, if I can't find it this time, I have had one drink too many. LOL:eek::D

My thoughts are that if you do a simple door decoration, ie. just a sign on the door saying congrats for whatever or happy birthday, etc, it will be fine. I think if you were to try to decorate it with streamers and baloons they would remove it. It is not only a fire hazard, but the hallways are not very wide at all and it is a pain to those trying to walk by them without tearing them down. I think what you quoted is what NCL's official policy is so that if they do find someone has over decorated, they can say.. "well here is where our policy is clearly stated". Just my opinion.

You bring up very good points!

Well I am planning on decorating my door with a sign for St. Patricks day, so I hope it will be ok. I found on my last cruise I was able to find my room a lot easier. Of course since I am the last room on my hall, if I can't find it this time, I have had one drink too many. LOL:eek::D

ROFLMTO! At least you'd have a reason for missing it :D.

I once looked for my room...problem was, that number didn't exist :eek:! Nope, hadn't been drinking, was totally sober. I did leave a cabin steward scratching his head, rolling his eyes, and with a huge smile on his face :o:D.

These are great for the doors. I think the problem with decorating doors is not only the obstruction into the hallway - but maybe removal of the cellophane tape. I can just see the staff trying to get a bunch of tape off in addition to the other stuff that needs done quickly. I used magnetic holiday decor for our Dec. cruise - simply because I wanted my mom to be able to find our cabin without any problem. I handed them off to the room steward as we were leaving - and think he was happy to have them for his cabin.

Our family always has at least four cabins on the ship when we cruise, and to make it easier to spot our members room, we glue magnets on the back of Christmas cards to put on our doors. (we always sail in December)

My parents also put a magnetic note pad on their door so that we can leave messages about where we're going or what time we want to meet for dinner.

You know.. you guys have given me some great ideas. We are sailing on the Dawn this Nov and it is a special cruise for us... well.. all cruises are special to us.. but this is to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I am going to surprise Doug with a bar set up, even though he doesn't really drink that much I thought I would order him a bottle of his beloved Crown Royal. I also wanted to do something special as far as a decoration and I think I will make a sign and sneak it into our luggage and when we get onboard and get our luggage.. maybe put it on the door while he is in the bathroom or something.

We did decorate for out "bunny cruise" a while back. I will be on the Dawn for Easter this year and am going to try and find some more magnetic decorations like I had before....little bunnies and chicks it was fun. A number of them were gone by the end of the week, I think kids took them which was just fine.

Last April, I decorated my parents' door with a magnetic picture (that I printed using my computer) of them on their wedding day back in 1944. I also put some blank sticky notes and a pencil attached to a piece of yarn and magnet. Lots of people wrote sweet notes to my parents...including one that the captain himself wrote! I decorated again with magnetic sheets, sticky notes and clings last month on the Jewel, and no one said to take anything down. Nothing really sticks out or protudes into the hallway, so maybe that is all they care about. Although, I can sure understand how they would not want any sticky residue or tape left on the doors.

debwellwall, the doors on NCL Jade and Pearl are metal. I'd imagine Gem's and Jewel's are also since they were all built around the same years.

Lots of terrific decorating has been done from the sounds of it.

DebbieCruises, what a sweet thing you did for your parents. :cool:

terrymtex01, he's gonna love your surprise. :cool: He's got great taste, too...Crown Royal...yummy!

Think I'll give decorating a try with the clings and magnets.

You know.. you guys have given me some great ideas. We are sailing on the Dawn this Nov and it is a special cruise for us... well.. all cruises are special to us.. but this is to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I am going to surprise Doug with a bar set up, even though he doesn't really drink that much I thought I would order him a bottle of his beloved Crown Royal. I also wanted to do something special as far as a decoration and I think I will make a sign and sneak it into our luggage and when we get onboard and get our luggage.. maybe put it on the door while he is in the bathroom or something.

Wow, what a nice wifey you are. Doug's a lucky guy -- a wonderful way to celebrate.

We always design something in PrintShop on the computer and print it out on magnetic-backed paper (we buy at Staples). It works great, doesn't stick out at all, and is customized to our family, including our faces on cartoon bodies or whatever, depending on the them of the cruise. One cruise (can't remember which) they didn't stick to the doors so the cabin steward showed us that it did stick to the area around the door so I know he didn't have a problem with it. I've never seen that policy posted before but it makes sense.

I love the idea of having a magnetic notepad for communicating - sort of like whiteboards on dorm room dorms when I was in college - ooh there's an idea! We've tried using walkie-talkies but my nephew always wants to be the one to hold it and he can't seem to grasp the hold-the-button-down-while-talking thing so it never works out very well. :)

I use magnetic tape on the back of my door signs. It's a magnet on one side (to stick to the door) and tape on the other side (to stick to my sign). I buy it at Walmart or craft stores for a few dollars for a roll.

For my signs I buy a colorful piece of scrap booking paper (the thicker stock) and then depending on where the cruise is going, who is going or what we are celebrating, I buy appropriate stickers.

I picked up some awesome Mexico themed stickers off Ebay (under $2 w/ free shipping) for our upcoming Riviera cruise.

I will say that I don't rely on my sign 100% to locate my room as there is always a few teens/kids/drunk adults that think it is great fun to move my signs a few doors down!

I love the door signs. We sailed Disney last fall and it is almost the norm to have door signs. They commonly have everyone's names on them and are themed. Usually magnetic, but not always. The day DD turned 5, the kids club leaders decorated her door while she slept with balloons, streamers etc. The hallways are a touch wider on the Magic than on the NCL ships that I have been on. So that might be a factor. Some people on the Disboards complain that the door signs look cheesy, tacky etc etc. I personally found them to be an interesting reflection on the occupants. I know that DD LOVED when people walking by the cabin would wish her happy birthday because they saw the door.

I thought that it would be cool to do "initials" of the kids and after each cruise mark them with the cabin number and ship name as a kindof running commentary on our cruising history.

That said-- as other DD is reaching adolescence, I worry about advertising her cabin location to others. On the last cruise, she got kindof freaked out when a boy took an interest in her and kept showing up whereever she was. At first, we thought it was coincidence, but it really was everywhere from the stores, the piano bar, the shore excursion desk.... I am certain it was innocent and just a crush-thing, but...... the "boy" was 17 and she was 10 (but looks much more 'mature').

I love the door signs. We sailed Disney last fall and it is almost the norm to have door signs. They commonly have everyone's names on them and are themed. Usually magnetic, but not always. The day DD turned 5, the kids club leaders decorated her door while she slept with balloons, streamers etc. The hallways are a touch wider on the Magic than on the NCL ships that I have been on. So that might be a factor. Some people on the Disboards complain that the door signs look cheesy, tacky etc etc. I personally found them to be an interesting reflection on the occupants. I know that DD LOVED when people walking by the cabin would wish her happy birthday because they saw the door.

I thought that it would be cool to do "initials" of the kids and after each cruise mark them with the cabin number and ship name as a kindof running commentary on our cruising history.

That said-- as other DD is reaching adolescence, I worry about advertising her cabin location to others. On the last cruise, she got kindof freaked out when a boy took an interest in her and kept showing up whereever she was. At first, we thought it was coincidence, but it really was everywhere from the stores, the piano bar, the shore excursion desk.... I am certain it was innocent and just a crush-thing, but...... the "boy" was 17 and she was 10 (but looks much more 'mature').

I know I'm going way off topic here, but WOW.. I don't think you were being too cautious at all. I'm sorry.. 17 yo boy following a 10 yo around.. that would have freaked me out for sure.

Archived