Driving to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal From NC

WolfpackFan

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess in September for a NE cruise. We are still trying to decide how best to get to this cruise and am considering driving from NC (Raleigh). Is there a nice area along I-95 somewhere in NJ that we could spend the Friday night before at and that would leave an easy drive (say an hour) to the Brooklyn cruise terminal the next morning? We like staying at Hampton Inn's if possible. On that Saturday morning what is the easiest route to get to the cruise port? Also, I'm not wild about driving over the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge as I have a problem with heights. Thanks for any suggestions.

It's difficult to know what to recommend to you. In order to avoid the Verrazano Bridge, you would have to go through the Holland Tunnel, down the west side of Manhattan and through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

There is a Hampton Inn at Newark Airport that would put you within an hour of Red Hook as well as a Hampton Inn on Staten Island. The one on Staten Island is relatively new and has gotten very good reviews.

Thanks for the info. So how crowded do you think it would be driving through the Holland Tunnel route on a Saturday morning? Also, just how "scary" is it driving over the Verrazzano Narrows bridge? I have a very difficult time with high bridges. Also, how far down the road is Woodbridge, NJ? I found a Hampton Inn there that didn't look too bad?

• 3 weeks later...

Well Wolfpack fan, you are in for a treat driving to Brooklyn. The good thing is that it's a Saturday.. Would not recommend the tunnel for you at all. If you can do the Delaware Memorial Bridge, you can do the Verazano. I hate high bridges also but try to stay in the middle lane and not look left or right..:o. Hotel in Woodbridge would be OK. I would call them and ask how long it would take to get to Brooklyn from there. Maybe 2 hours or so I think. That's variable depending on traffic congestion. Saturday is big in your favor. Probably staying in Woodbridge would keep you out of most of the crazy traffic and confusing roads. Staton Island would bring you closer though and might not be too bad. I am born and raised in NJ and I hate to drive up there since we moved to the Carolina's 25 years ago.

If you don't want to drive the Verrazzano Bridge, then don't do it. Stay within your comfort zone.

We get tons of inquiries about hotels for Cape Liberty. Meg recommends the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth. They are right at Exit 13a. There is a diner and a Ruby Tuesday's. And there is the Jersey Gardens Mall with movies. Here is Meg's web site: Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog: http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/ -newly updated!! I'm sure Woodbridge is just fine, but mapquest shows that it is not directly at the turnpike exit.

The next morning you get back on the turnpike and go to exit 14C - Holland Tunnel. Once through the tunnel you need to find the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Princess should have directions for you and Mapquest is a good source for which exit to take on the other side of the Holland Tunnel.

Hum, I just had a thought. I wonder if Princess provides bus transfer service from Newark airport? If so, I wonder if I could park my car at Newark and take the bus to the cruise terminal? I bet the parking is cheaper at Newark than at the cruise terminal?

Call Princess and ask - they do provide bus service from Wash DC, Baltimore, Wilmington DE, Philly, etc on up on the morning of the cruise, so you could get the transfer package from one of those cities, park the car and take the bus the rest of the way - let them do the driving.

We are using the bus service from Wilmington, De to the pier for our cruise out of NY this year. :)

Very good information. We are also considering a 7 day Caribbean Princess voyage RT from NY. Our plan would be to drive from the Detroit area which can be done in one long day and get in there the day before.

We are looking for any additional information regarding hotels within an hour of the pier and what the parking is like at the terminal.

Thanks in advance.

Hum, I just had a thought. I wonder if Princess provides bus transfer service from Newark airport? If so, I wonder if I could park my car at Newark and take the bus to the cruise terminal? I bet the parking is cheaper at Newark than at the cruise terminal?

There are several park/fly options at Newark airport which might work for you - the Sheraton Newark airport and Country Inns. However..... you would have to take the hotel's airport shuttle to the P4 station on the monorail and perhaps take the monorail to one of the terminals to find the cruise transfer bus, which will be $40-$45/pp. Long term parking at Newark is $15, but I'm sure you can find it for less if you go off airport. Cruiseport parking is $20.

Very good information. We are also considering a 7 day Caribbean Princess voyage RT from NY. Our plan would be to drive from the Detroit area which can be done in one long day and get in there the day before.

We are looking for any additional information regarding hotels within an hour of the pier and what the parking is like at the terminal.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't want to stay in Manhattan or Brooklyn, you will find the biggest choice of reasonable hotels at Newark airport. Take a look at Meg's website - Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog:http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/ -newly updated!!

To get to Brooklyn, you get back on the NJ Turnpike and go to Exit 14A - Holland Tunnel ($8). Then you should pay the $5 and go through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and follow the directions to Red Hook.

Archived