Help please - Too much to do!

luvocean9

I am traveling with my mother, who is 81. She would enjoy seeing the plant life, rain forrest, and perhaps a waterfall, but she would not want to dwell there or heaven forbid, swim. She also likes shopping, and just looking around at things sold on the islands, so she would enjoy the market. She would enjoy the fruit tasting too.

I read about so many tours recommended here and their websites and there is just so MUCH to do and see and trying to see it all makes for a very long tour. I just cannot decide.

What are 2 or 3 of the can't be missed things to see on Dominica? Maybe we need a private tour? Can anyone recommend a private tour operator?

Thank you

Luvocean9, I can without reservation recommend Reyno Tours. We have been to Dominica twice and have used Reyno Tours both times. Does your mother have mobility problems? The walk to Trafalgar Falls is not strenuous and there is interesting plant life to see along the way. The falls can be seen from a platform, where there is an opportunity to rest before the walk back. Reyno provides a guide (we love Rosalind, who we have had both times), who points out items of interest along the way as you walk along. On our walk to the falls, she even found us a hummingbird nest! We never would have spotted that on our own. There is a nice variety of crafts available from vendors at booths outside the entry to the falls. There are baskets and other woven goods that are of a nice quality. The stop at Emerald Pool is also a nice one. Your mother may not be able to hike all the way down and back, as it is a bit of a steep hill, but is is quite easy to view the pool from above via a short walk and see the people in the pool and the waterfall that feeds the pool. Then it is on to Mr. Nice's fruit stand, which is a nice, refreshing stop for an opportunity to try a variety of the fresh fruits grown locally. Everyone has a fun time here. Contact Reyno for more information at reynotours@hotmail.com You will have a great time on his tour.

By US standards Dominica is rough. The trails to the pool and waterfall are trails with uneven footing. There are not always guardrails. Even the market is rough - lots of cobblestones.

I would recommend the aerial tram ride - my mother went on that at age 85 and loved the trip.

By US standards Dominica is rough. The trails to the pool and waterfall are trails with uneven footing. There are not always guardrails. Even the market is rough - lots of cobblestones.

While, yes, the trail to Trafalgar Falls is dirt, it is wide and it is a not a tough hike. The guide from Reyno Tours will be happy to help anyone who needs assistance in walking. (I needed assistance on the hike to Middleham Falls-on a different tour- and got assistance from both Reyno and our guide Rosalind). As mentioned, the hike to the Emerald Pool is down and back up a steep hill, and so would not be for someone who has mobility issues. Our friends waved to us from above as they watched my husband swim in the pool while I took photos of him and the waterfall. This tour is a wonderful introduction to Dominica and Reyno will make sure you have great memories of your visit.

Becki has given you advice on a great tour operator however, I went on this cruise with my mother 76, she did the airial tram/including lunch offered with Princess. My mom is diabetic and wanted to make sure she was going to have lunch, so she paid alot of money for this tour. The ride to the tram was very, very bumpy, the tram was great and she got a ton of information from the guide, but lunch was awful and was not offered until 2:00pm! So if you mom has back issues, or needs lunch....make sure she takes some food with her on the tram tour and doesn't sit over a wheel on the bus.

Archived