"LIVE" from Norwegian GEM / March 7, 2009

Radio

radio..Prem is fabulous..he really cares ;) .he is the one who took such interest in my bar set up problem...(as posted earlier on this thread)--

now...if you can only get me the receipe for the chilled avacado/tomatillo soup--I will love you forever..:D

SMRTYPNTS

Yes, hubby is a high roller, I'm a medium player. Harrahs has offered us cruises before, but hubby is not a big cruise fan. We each received a cabin, so we are bring some friends along, that was the only way I could get him to go.

Looking forward to next Saturday.

On the one hand, my attitude is WOW!!! On the other, my feeling is--well, at least you get some return on your "losses" Hopefully, it's not losses, but winnings, then it's a double win!!:p

Radio....I also want to thank you for posting pictures and updates concerning the Gem. My wife and I haven't had a decent vacation in a while, so you could imagine how excited we are about our March 28th cruise on the Gem. We are in a mini-suite, towards the aft starboard side, on deck 11. Keep up the great 'work.' :) You ARE the Man!

What was the weather temp today? Who is the ship commedian and will he/she be there for the next couple weeks?

Thanks Liz

The temps today were 65f.

Last night they featured Bob Trunnel with Comedy and Magic.

I still have 6 more nights to see what the entertainment will be. I love comedy, so I hope there will be more.

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello everyone. . .I am starting to feel more comfortable with the Gem.

It took me about 24 hrs to feel like I know which way to go, and even though I haven’t been to many places on board. . . At least a have now a sense of direction.

The ship is laid out similar to Norwegian Dawn. I know that Dawn is a different class, but I toured the Dawn last July; and I can definitely see some similarities.

The amenities, and interior design however, are much different. Gem is very contemporary, and public areas are very pleasing. There is music everywhere, There is a lot of “live” entertainment on board.

I had a great dinner at Orchid Garden. . . The reviews were right on ! The service and food were excellent. I may have to go back there later in the week.

Here are a few pics from this afternoon, and tonight.

Thanks for tuning in. . . More pics tomorrow from Sunny Florida !

Radio

Spinnaker Lounge during the Officers Party

C1.JPG

Spinnaker Lounge

C3.JPG

Bali Hai Bar and Grill

C5.JPG

The sign on Bali Hai says Beer, Beer, Beer, and Beer Sold Here !

C6.JPG

There are a lot of shops on board

C9.JPG

The Sun was setting, on our second night. . .

C7.JPG

Hi Radio,

Wow your pictures are just amazing! DH and I booked this cruise based on the ship not so much the itinerary however anywhere a cruise ship takes us is a great place to be :D. I am so happy to see we made a great choice. This ship just looks fabulous. You are really a hit on these boards with your review, I know even for myself I posted the link to this thread on our roll call and everyone is enjoying it. Have a wonderful week on the Gem and thank you for the pictures and postings!

Kathy and Mike

Glad you are having a great time and the weather and sea accomodating. It looks so upbeat and not too crowded. How are the demographics? A mixed bag or skewed to college age?

I have only seen 3 college-age people in any of those photos....most of the rest seem slightly older.

I have only seen 3 college-age people in any of those photos....most of the rest seem slightly older.

There did not SEEM to be an over abundance of college-age kids when I dropped my husband and three spring breakers off at the ship. I keep studying the pictures to try to find any of them.

There did not SEEM to be an over abundance of college-age kids when I dropped my husband and three spring breakers off at the ship. I keep studying the pictures to try to find any of them.

I dont have a number on the Spring break group. . but there are alot of them here. . .The kids on board this week are 280. Last week there were ober 500 kids, and 2 weeks ago there were over 900 kids.

Radio

Hello everyone. . . we are only about 75nm from Port Canaveral. We should arrive at the scheduled time of 12Noon.

The temperature this morning is much warmer than yesterday morning, but the sun will be up soon and it will become very warm.

The forecast is for sunny skies and 79f

Here is our location. . .

Radio

Our Location

MAP8.jpg

Radio,

Thank you so much for doing this for us. You have only been gone 2 days and I am already enjoying your vactation tremendously.

We are doing exactly what you are doing 2 weeks from today. I say that because we are planning to rent a car from Avis and drive down to the Space Center. We will stay there until close and then hopefully hit a famous restaurant in the area, seafood and kid casual, (cant remember the name as I sit here right now) and then return the car and be back to the ship by about 9. Hoping to at least stop at the beach too. Would love to hear how you make out today and any suggestions you have to make it easier. I am a 1st time cruiser and trying to avoid the ships excursions. Traveling with 2 children alone 14 and 5. So, any answers I can get before I go, the better to avoid the uncertainty.

Thanks again,

Kate

Thanks Radio, we are booked for the Gem 1/13/10. I love your pictures, what camera do you have, I need a new one.

I am using 3 different cameras . . . Sony DSC H10 / Sony DSC W50 /Sony DSC W120.

The last 2 are small and easy to fit your pocket ;)

Radio

I dont have a number on the Spring break group. . but there are alot of them here. . .The kids on board this week are 280. Last week there were ober 500 kids, and 2 weeks ago there were over 900 kids.

Radio

Radio..I must say, we have been reading and posting on these boards for quite awhile..but your "live- reports" and "pix" are simply the best!:) Makes us really look forward to being there and get a move on our packing!!! We are going on the Gem sailing 4/11 and we know that it is a spring break week, as we sailed the Spirit last year same time.....My DD loves the slide pix you showed:DThe other NCL slides were much smaller......

Keep your pix and updates coming!! They are great...:) Monty

Hello everyone ! We have just pulled into Port Canaveral. . .right on time.

You can see us docked at the Port Canaveral Webcam.

We are at Terminal 5, where Carnival Sensation homeports. Monarch of the Seas is with us today (Terminal 10), and will be leaving today by 5PM.

I will be renting a car, and make my way over to Kennedy Space Center. I will try to make it down to Cocoa Beach later today. I also want to get over to Manatee park (off of Astronaut Blvd), to catch a glimpse of some Manatees. . .

Hmmm. . . I think there is a Starbuck on the way there !

I love Kennedy Space Center and was just there in January 2009 on NCL Majesty. Those pics can be seen HERE.

Tonight NCL is featuring Second City Comedy in the Stardust Lounge at 730/930. They will also have the very funny Newlywed Not So newlywed Game Show up in the Spinnaker at 1030.

The forecast for today is Sunny 84F ! Very Nice. . .

Here are a few pics from this morning. Thanks for tuning in. . . More Pics later.

Radio

Early Morning at Great Outdoor Buffet

D1.JPG

The sun is coming up. . .

D8.JPG

Great Outdoor Deck 12

D9.JPG

Just a few more miles to go. . .

D11.JPG

Deck 7 AFT

E1.JPG

Here are some pics of our Arrival in Port Canaveral.

We have to be back on board at 930PM for our scheduled departure at 10PM.

More pics tonight. . .

Radio

Jetty Park beach in Cape Canaveral

E2.JPG

Very nice beach here and not a cloud in the sky

E4.JPG

NASA Vehicle Assembly Building

E6.JPG

Terminal 10 with Monarch of the Seas, and Disney Terminal 8 to the right

E5.JPG

Our Home for the day / Terminal 5

E8.JPG

Ready to dock

E10.JPG

Your pix are just great....we are enjoying them on our "sick day" at home!!If you have any time during your sail, my DS would love to know if the Blue Lagoon is larger than the the other ones on NCL..he heard it was and that is his favorite place to eat besides Cagneys:) Curious to see if they do half price dinners during our sail..they never did before....We love the photo special offer you posted as well. We can't wait to see what you will post next and see if it coincides with our booked excursions!!;) Thanks again!!

Archived