USA Car Seat Question - Hoping someone can help

craftycousins

We are an Aussie family going to the USA for five weeks, traveling to Hawaii, California, and Florida (for our cruise on MSC Poesia!)

But I have a question about car seats, in an effort to save some money I was going to bring our 4 y.o's booster seat with us rather than hiring one every time we have a car rental, but I cannot find any information as to if my seat will be okay to use in the USA.

Our booster seat is the one I have included in this link

http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/catalogue/c5/c220/p2223

It has a tether strap, is this what you have in the US? I also have a H safety harness which attaches to the tether strap for extra safety in case of a accident.

If anyone can help that would be appreciated, I don't want to lug the car seat around when I get there and find out I can't use it!

Thanks

The one you chose to bring from home is perfect!!! Actually, just the fact that you are willing to lug one is great! Whatever you do in Australia is perfect here...................!!

The US car seat law varies from State to State bring what you would typically use at home...you will probably be ahead of the US laws....here..

Welcome to CC and welcome to the US......

California requires that all kids 6 years and less than 60 pounds be in a child restraint (so booster is fine). Other states may be more or less restrictive, but like the PP said, most likely what you have for Australia is more than likely better than what is required here.

Have fun!

Hi Crafty Cousins,

New Zealand and Australia have the highest standards for child safety seats of anywhere in the world, so if your booster fits Australian safety regulations, you can be sure it will be fine for the U.S. regulations.

Have a great trip! :)

In Florida, your 4 year old is not required to sit in a car seat or booster seat. However, we have our 8 year old in a booster seat because she weights less than 60 pounds. I think it is great you are willing to bring a carseat from Australia! But don't worry about laws in Florida.

You may be able to rent cars that have built in booster seats. Check with the car rental places where you are traveling. Quite a few cars have those now.

Have a great visit!

Our booster seat is the one I have included in this link

http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/catalogue/c5/c220/p2223

I wish they sold this seat in the US. I have never seen a booster with a tether - only car seats for younger children are able to be tethered. If you're going to be doing a lot of driving, I say bring your own. Your child will be most comfortable in his own seat. Older cars do not have built in tether hooks, but I assume you will have a newer car if you're renting.

Archived