Sugar free on Princess

Infi

I'll be traveling with a family member who is diabetic on my next cruise. I've seen the sugar free options in the DR at mealtimes, but does anyone know if the international cafe offers any sugar free items? What about the Horizon Court - specifically during the afternoon ice cream hour?

Thanks in advance for any help!

That's a good question. I'd also like to know what kind of sugar free products they have to add to your coffee or tea. I know they can prepare a diabetic meal for you. Just like to know about these others.

Thanks, Jules

I assume you are referring to the sugar free desserts. In the dining rooms there is always a sugar free dessert selection with dinner and don't hesitate to ask at lunch. They also always have sugar free ice cream available at lunch or dinner. They might not have a selection of flavors, but the ice cream is good. Another dessert option in the dining room for dinner is the cheese and cracker selection.

In the buffet you often have to ask for the sugar free dessert selection, but they are always more than willing to go and get it for you. Again, don't be afraid to ask for the sugar free ice cream as well.

As far as sugar substitutes for coffee/tea, I think they had the big 3 (pink, blue & yellow), but I'm not positive.

I am "pre-diabetic" so I try to be careful.:rolleyes: I have noticed though that I feel better after a sugar free dessert than if I order a regular dessert. After a regular dessert I am just too uncomfortable.:o

I am a diabetic and just recently returned from the Sapphire. There were plenty of sugar free options available all over! At lunch at the buffet there were usually at least 2 options. They were very tasty! I will say that a lot of these suger free options had as many carbs as the regular items based on my experience. Basically when I figured my insulin dose I "gently" figured in the desert-not as many carbs as a full sugared desert, but not a free item either. I will mention that at dinner one night in the dining room I had a hypoglycemic reaction-dinner took a little longer coming out than I anticipated and I was pretty agressive in my coverage that night-anyway we asked the waiter for some icecream and he quickly ran and got it for me. Every night after that he was very quietly attentive to our table and quick to ask if we needed anything if he suspected something was up. He was just a really nice guy who didn't want to call attention to us, but wanted to make sure I was OK. Have fun, enjoy-I wish I was sailing soon again!

We ship desserts period but do like to have whole grain bread products. Found it was easy to obtain when we asked for whole grain products in the buffet but difficult in the diningroom.

We will be cruising on the Rudy in the spring, will be looking for whole grain bread again. We eat very simply fruit, vegetables, lean protein and whole grains.

Hi There,

Princess has sugar free in HC and at the cafe, but you often have to ask as they are not on display.

Staff were more than happy to go and fetch sugar free when ever we asked.

yours Shogun

I've been insulin dependent for 32 years. I cruised for the first time on the Diamond Princess last October and my diabetes control was excellent. There was plenty of choice both in the DR and also in Horizon Court. The sugar-free desserts were excellent. Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. We also had breakfast in our cabin on several occasions and I found plenty I could eat. Also ask your steward for fresh fruit in your stateroom - bananas are excellent for staving off low blood sugars. Your family member certainly won't feel deprived or 'left out'. If you can't see what you require - ask. The staff are extremely helpful. I didn't put on a pound. My doctor was very pleased - and surprised.

Thanks all for your advice on asking for sugar free items in HC. I'll probably have to encourage my aunt by telling her it's not a big deal...she doesn't like to make a fuss over herself.

Still wondering - does anyone know if the international cafe has sugar free pastries? Thanks!

lv2teach: There is a refrigerator in every cabin so you could get a glass of orange juice or a carton of milk in the buffet and keep it in the refrig for emergencies. The fruit bowl is also an excellent idea. You could also stock up on cookies, etc. ;)

Infi: I have never seen sugar free pastries (such as breakfast items). Many of the desserts are cakes, but not really pastries.

Infi - I'm not sure which ship you are going on but I can't remember any sugar-free pastries on the Crown (which is the only ship I've been on with an International Patisserie on it) - they do have a fair number of things that can be substituted for pasteries (Danish) like the croissants though.

I'm like Maryr1 though, and compensate the insulin as needed.

Archived