Skagway and Fear of Heights

WebStir4

My husband has a fear of heights, so therefore the White Pass Railroad is out of the picture. Does anyone have a fear of heights and have taken the bus to the Summit? Was this a problem? If it would be a problem, what would you suggest to do in Skagway?

My husband has a fear of heights, so therefore the White Pass Railroad is out of the picture. Does anyone have a fear of heights and have taken the bus to the Summit? Was this a problem? If it would be a problem, what would you suggest to do in Skagway?

I have a fear of heights, but I was fine on the White Pass Railroad. I guess it depends on how strong your fear is and what bothers you the most. I get more anxious if I fee "unsafe" - as if I could fall. I knew the WPRR was safe since they take hundreds of people on it every day all summer long. Although there were places that looked a bit scary, I never felt unsafe.

My DW has a real fear of heights - which really limits my travels in Colorado as we have never made it to the western part of the state since our marriage. That said we did the bus up and train back and she had no problem. We did sit on the "toward the cliff" or "bad side" on the train down, but she was actually out of her seat a couple of times so she could get a better view! She had really agonized about the height problem, but it was not an issue.

When I took the White Pass RR, there was a guy on the train who was very afraid of heights, but had forced himself to go on the train. He was surprised he didn't have problems with it, and actually spent a goodly portion of the time outside on the viewing area.

Sayhello

Bottom line, there are significant drop offs, on both the Klondike Highway and White Pass RR.

I personally had a MIL who couldn't manage the train and sat on the "wall" side with her hands covering her face. So your question really can't be answered despite the "positive" responses, there are also negative and no way to predict HOW your husband is going to be?

Archived