safety at accra/rockly ?

KM

Given the news of recent tourist attack on Long beach, I am Looking for a beach that is very public and close to port. Planning on taking taxi to accra/rockley. for those who have been there, I am wondering if this beach has alot of people on it? There will be two ships in port the day we are there. Just want to spend the day on a nice beach but nothing considered remote or secluded.

Given the news of recent tourist attack on Long Beach,

I'm Looking for a beach that is very public and close to port.

Planning on taking taxi to Accra/Rockley. ===> Good move!

for those who have been there,

I'm wondering if this beach has a lot of people on it? ===> Yes, it's a popular beach

There will be two ships in port the day we are there.

Just want to spend the day on a nice beach but nothing considered remote or secluded.

You've already picked the perfect beach, given your stated considerations.

You have nothing to worry about safety-wise

other than the fact that Rockley Bay sometimes has an undertow heading Westward, so look out for that.

It's nothing vicious, and if it's bad you'll see the lifeguards on duty will put up their red flags

(doesn't happen very often).

Accra is waaaay cool. It's not popular fer nuthin!! :)

Don't be surprised if you spot a pair of local Policemen walking the beach

looking so completely out-of-place in their street uniforms.

Long Beach, on the other hand, is one of our most desolate beaches

and those people were downright silly to be walking there..two women alone?

What were they thinking?

Were they living out some perceived tourist dream of walking "on a beach all their own" ?

Don't do that ..okay?

ACCRA -Rockley Beach

Accra-42.jpg

where the scenery is great!

You've already picked the perfect beach, given your stated considerations.

You have nothing to worry about safety-wise

other than the fact that Rockley Bay sometimes has an undertow heading Westward, so look out for that.

It's nothing vicious, and if it's bad you'll see the lifeguards on duty will put up their red flags

(doesn't happen very often).

Accra is waaaay cool. It's not popular fer nuthin!! :)

Don't be surprised if you spot a pair of local Policemen walking the beach

looking so completely out-of-place in their street uniforms.

Long Beach, on the other hand, is one of our most desolate beaches

and those people were downright silly to be walking there..two women alone?

What were they thinking?

Were they living out some perceived tourist dream of walking "on a beach all their own" ?

Don't do that ..okay?

ACCRA -Rockley Beach

Accra-42.jpg

where the scenery is great!

Do you recommend Accra over the Boatyard? I know the Boatyard is more for the younger crowd but what about the color of the sand and the clearness and calmness of the water. How do they compare?

We just got back from our cruise on the Summit, with a stop Thursday in Barbados. We went to Accra, as suggested in this post, and were so happy with our decision. We absolutely looooooved that beach! Very beautiful, not too crowded, we were the only ones from the Summit there! There is a nice boardwalk and the snorkeling was just great!!! My husband did not want to leave, he actually wants to book a one week vacation there next year. I am already looking forward to it!

Given the news of recent tourist attack on Long beach, I am Looking for a beach that is very public and close to port. Planning on taking taxi to accra/rockley. for those who have been there, I am wondering if this beach has alot of people on it? There will be two ships in port the day we are there. Just want to spend the day on a nice beach but nothing considered remote or secluded.

KM...Accra is very safe as are most of our beaches 99% of the time.

The attack on the lady from Ottawa was both unfortunate and isolated and believe me our collective hearts in the island go out to her and her family. We depend very heavily on tourism so we don't like to hear of these attacks happening.

Like Aplmac said...you will always find the local constabulary patroling Accra and this is not because of the above mentioned unfortunate incident. This has always been the case..

You will enjoy your beach time at Accra.

We just got back from our cruise on the Summit, with a stop Thursday in Barbados.

We went to Accra, as suggested in this post, and were so happy with our decision.

We absolutely looooooved that beach! Very beautiful, not too crowded,

- we were the only ones from the Summit there!

There is a nice boardwalk and the snorkeling was just great!!!

My husband did not want to leave, he actually wants to book a one week vacation there next year.

I am already looking forward to it!

Looking forward to seeing you here, for a week.;)

It's hard to beat Accra/Rockley

and it's about as close to realistically-perfect as you can get. ;)

• 10 months later...
That Gal as a nice Bum! ===> Ya think?

where is she from?

I have no idea:

-she's not an island girl that's fer sure -and she's not 30 yrs. old either! ;)

They were a coupla regular tourists

who came towards me as I was concentrating on doing beach shots.

Suddenly they were right there, so I 'used them as models' as they passed quickly..

then I noticed what you did

and turned around "to get that shot looking up the other side of the beach".

Boys will be boys, huh? L:DL

We took a taxi over to Rockley Beach (after reading the recommendations here) in November and we had a spectacular day. The pictures of this beach are "spot on". There were several ships in port but the beach was far from being too crowded. Plenty of chairs & umbrellas to rent, perfect sand and plenty of shade if you want it. We only waded around in the water, but it was crystal clear and warm (to me). We were planning on staying only a few hours and then leaving to get some lunch, but we scrapped the lunch plans because we didn't want to leave this postcard beach. It was (and we surely felt) completely safe.

We took a taxi over to Rockley Beach (after reading the recommendations here) in November

and we had a spectacular day.

The pictures of this beach are "spot on".

There were several ships in port but the beach was far from being too crowded.

Plenty of chairs & umbrellas to rent, perfect sand and plenty of shade if you want it.

We only waded around in the water, but it was crystal clear and warm (to me).

We were planning on staying only a few hours and then leaving to get some lunch,

but we scrapped the lunch plans because we didn't want to leave this postcard beach.

It was (and we surely felt) completely safe. ===> It's hard to beat Accra/Rockley Beach!

I told you! ;) :)

Brollies-353.jpg

Only on a Monday public holiday does Accra beach get a bit crowded.

Otherwise it's one of our 'coolest' beaches

Accra-077.jpg

Hey, it's where all the South Coast locals go, by choice!

Accra-945.jpg

Want to meet us?

-be there any Sunday morning from about 10:30 onwards.

Are there any restaurants or bars along the beach were you can get food and drinks?

There is a restaurant right on the beach which offers a variety of reasonably priced food. They also have an outdoor eating area. Right across the street there is a fast food style chicken restaurant with lots of seating and a place to wash up.

Thank you so much for all this awesome advice, I can't wait to go here! Along with all the questions above, are there return taxis available to get us back to the ship. There are five of us, would we need to get two taxis? And are their boogie board rentals or is the water too calm? Thank you!

How much is a taxi to Accra and how long does it take to get there from the ship? Also is there a charge to access the beach and how much does it cost to rent chairs or umbrellas?

From the Pier terminal its $7.50 US pp. Takes maybe 15 mins. Umbrellas/chairs were $15.00 IIRC for 2. No charge for the use of this wonderful beach!

Archived