Do walkie talkies work on board ?

planooldfamily

We have 3 families going together and are looking for an easy way to find one another ? We leave phone messages and slide notes under cabin doors as much as possible. But we have seen some families use the walkie talkies to find one another around the ship. Do these work very well ? Or do you have another suggestions ?

Since the ship is made of steel, cheap walkie-talkies don't work very well; the more expensive ones do. If you do plan to bring/use them, please be considerate of the other passengers as people tend to shout and there are lots of squeeks. I've brought walkie-talkies on a couple of cruises but they were such a pain trying to find a clear channel to use that I just bring Post-It notes and stick 'em on the door with where I'll be.

They do work well. I have a pair of $50 ones that were great to allow teenager to have a little bit of freedom. AS others have said, be considerate to not overuse them in public spaces.

We enjoyed the convenience of using walkie-talkies when our family group sailed last year. But I'd suggest good quality sets with the security channels; using that feature, we never overheard anyone else. We had pretty good reception with few challenges using the Motorola Talkabout 9500's ($79 per pair?) One model lower (8500's) didn't work as well.

We enjoyed the convenience of using walkie-talkies when our family group sailed last year. But I'd suggest good quality sets with the security channels; using that feature, we never overheard anyone else. We had pretty good reception with few challenges using the Motorola Talkabout 9500's ($79 per pair?) One model lower (8500's) didn't work as well.

The so called "security feature" only squelches the audio but doesn't give you a private channel. If you don't check to see if anyone is using it before you talk it generates so much noise no one get through & no one wants to use the channel.

Archived