Nursing in public?

GinnysMama

Hello! My husband, daughter and I will be going on our very first cruise in May. We'll be on the Norwegian Sky if that makes any difference. (please forgive my complete and utter lack of knowledge about cruising! lol!)

My daughter will be 15 months then. (she's 13 months now) My question is about nursing in public. The laws protecting nursing women and their babies are state-by-state. Does anyone know if there are laws protecting me on the ship? The ocean is sort of a no-man's-land, and I worry that some poor ignorant sap will ask me to go to the restroom to nurse and I will give him an earful! :p It would be much easier mentally to NIP (nurse in public) aboard the ship if I know that I am within my rights.

I'm not worried about NIP in the foreign countries because it only seems to be the United States that has a problem with nursing mothers.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone NIP'ed on a ship? How was your experience? Any nay-sayers?

At 15 months she probably nurses pretty much only at naptime and bedtime, correct? Because my kids were so easily distracted at that age, if they needed to nurse and I wasn't in the cabin, I would most likely head back to the cabin.

Well, she just recently started comfort nursing as well as nursing to eat. So it's pretty often that she asks. I'm pregnant as well, so distracting her away from it isn't really an option. I'm terrified I'll push her to wean earlier than she is ready for. If I were to go back to the room every time she wanted to nurse, I'd be in there all day. :) Not to mention she would probably be hysterical by the time we actually got there, causing MUCH more disruption than NIP.

I'm usually very discreet about it. (not one of those "whip it out in the middle of a huge crowd" if I can help it) Inevitably, some passers-by are bound to notice though. I don't want to cause a scene but I certainly will not nurse my little one in the bathroom. Yuck.

I personally would not feel comfortable NIP, but to each their own.

My DD was 3 months premature and was weaned by the time she was 11 months (8 months beyond original due date). I'm just curious at what age most mothers stop breastfeeding.

I think you should nurse your baby wherever you and she want to. Fifteen months is still really little!I nursed my son on two cruises - at 8 months and 3 and a half years. At 8 months, we nursed whenever and wherever. At 3.5 we only nursed in the cabin, by my choice. He was nursing when the picture below was taken, in fact. My ship left from Florida, so I just went with the Florida law on this. Both of my kids weaned just before turning four, so I won't be nursing on this next cruise (20 days!).

As long as you're discreet--no one should even KNOW you're nursing!

I nursed my son until he decided he wanted to CHEW his food---that happened at 6mos!

My daughter nursed until 14 mos--and then it was only for "comfort", at night.

You may be surprised if your child has too much to do to even ask to nurse!

I can't answer your questions about "rules" and "experiences," but I did want to offer my support to you. KUDOS to you for choosing to nurse your baby!!! It's the BEST for them!!! :D

My baby will be 14 months when we take our cruise. I plan on nursing him whenever and whereever is appropriate. We're always discreet and I've never offended anyone (to my knowledge) when nursing any of my children. Having said that, I know it makes some people uncomfortable (that's why I'm discreet).

Also, the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends nursing for at least one year. The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends nursing for at least two years. SO... the ship's crew may be very tolerant of your views. I'm assuming it won't be a problem for you. :)

Good luck to you!!!

Thank you everyone. :) We will nurse when she asks, and hopefully we won't have any problems. I wanted to ask around first though... just to make sure that I didn't get a huge response of "NO! They'll kick you off!" or something drastic like that. :D

Just to clarify about discreetness.... I think it is incredibly untrue that if you are discreet, then not a single person will notice you are breastfeeding. I don't care if your entire body is covered by a blanket, SOMEONE will notice. If you look directly at someone who is breastfeeding, regardless of how exposed their breast is, you can most certainly tell that that's what they are doing.

We'll also be cruising in May and I will have a 14 month old nursling, as well. I think your question is a good one, and in the absence of laws prohibiting it, I say go for it. You may get some weird looks, but who cares, really. :p I would NOT leave a public area unless asked to do so by someone with some authority, and even then I would probably make a big fuss about it. But that's just me. ;)

I have a "hooter hidder" that my friend made for me. (REALLY easy to make). I use it only because my 8 month old is way too distracted to nurse "politely", meaning that she likes to turn her head and take my nipple with her - OUCH! The hooter-hidder acts more like blinders on her.

It also is a great cover for her if I am nursing in the sun, cold or windy weather. I also think people in general rather have a nursing babe than a crying babe, especially on planes with the ear thing and on LONG excursions!

I will be nursing on our Alaska trip in May. My DD will be 10 months at that point. My first weened herself at 9 months but this one is still going full force so I think I will be teethered ;) until I head back to work when she is 13 months.

Let me know if you want instructions on how to make a hooter-hidder. They sell them for $60 in the store :eek: !!!

Wow! $60? Whew. When my little one was younger, we used to cover up under a blanket, but she started pulling it off. I don't blame her, I assume it was really hot in there, lol. I wonder if she would even tolerate having something over her head like that, especially if she can't see my face. But, I'd love instructions anyway! It would be nice (if she would use it, that is) to have protection from the sun for her while we nurse.

SaySumthing: I would probably make a big fuss, too. :D But then I'd be "that woman" on the cruise who caused a scene for whatever reason. People would talk about me for years to come. Lol!

Yep, I used a blanket too, the new inventions they keep pulling out - whoa! I guess that is why we can never be done buying baby equipment!

Anyways, the hooter-hider instructions a la the internet. The link is:

http://madebythemamamonster.blogspot.com/2008/04/nursing-cover-tutorial.html

I used TWO pieces of fabric for the main body so that it was a little more substantial and more blanket like. I used a satiny solid color on the inside. You really don't have to be great at sewing by any means. I would simplify it a bit and not get fancy with the multiple seaming on the strap for example. Some people also attach pockets on the inside, not sure why, just another distraction for the baby!

I am still nursing my almost 14 month old and likely will be for awhile longer- I was hoping to wean around a year just for my own conveinence but he really still needs it so I guess we are letting him lead the way.

I personally started nursing in more private places but part of this is because I wanted to start wearing normal clothes/ bras again so to nurse I sort of have to get undressed instead of just dropping open a nursing tank.

I would say a cruise ship is large enough and full of people doing their own thing that it shouldn't be a problem to do it anywhere you want. Plus if someone bugs you about it- it is always an opportunity to educate them on the benefits of breastfeeding- including a toddler.

Kudos to you ladies that keep on nursing! I could never NIP, I couldn't even nurse in front of my family, except DH. I don't know, I'm just wierd I guess. But I had to stop when DD was 3 months, cuz she was always gassy and fussy when we nursed. But anyways, I don't think you should have a problem nursing...expecially if its discreet.

Awwwww.... I miss my nursing days! My DS nursed until 18 months and my DD until 14...both self weaned and I'm a HUGE supporter of nursing. However, I was never one to use my nursing baby to make political statements or promote the cause, so I always tried to be as discreet as possible. I wouldn't go all the way to my cabin every time, but I would find the most discreet area in my near proximity and turn my body if possible. I always found that most people are cool with nursing as long as you're not proudly putting on a show, and you may even get some mommies looking longingly at the blessing of nursing, and wishing they could relive those special times:)

I'm not sure of your rights while BF on a cruise ship but I would definitely nurse where ever you feel comfortable. I'm currently nursing my 14m old and we're planning to take a cruise this Summer when she's 18m. I'm not sure if she'll still be nursing by then (nursed my first until she was 4 but stopped NIP when she was about 18m) so we'll see what happens. I think you may get stares but I'm not sure if anyone will actually confront you on it. I've had more smiles while NIP than rude looks over the years.

My LO is lactose intolerant so I'm off dairy so a teensy bit of me hope she weans by the Summer so I can enjoy dairy on the cruise! :D

GinnysMama: You will find that people are super nice on cruises - everyone is on cloud 9 while cruising...so I HIGHLY doubt anyone would even say anything to you even if they saw you. There are lots of places on the ships where you can sit down for nursing. I have no idea what "laws" are in effect since nearly all of the boats are registered outside of the US.

Wow! $60? Whew. When my little one was younger, we used to cover up under a blanket, but she started pulling it off. I don't blame her, I assume it was really hot in there, lol. I wonder if she would even tolerate having something over her head like that, especially if she can't see my face.

I bought a ready-made hooter hider (I can't sew at all!), and it has a little stiff piece at the top that makes it so it covers you completely but you can still make eye-contact with your baby. Which is helpful with my 2 month old because he gets a little over-excited and has trouble finding the nipple sometimes ;-)

I wish I'd had a hooter hider! I just used blankets if I was in a restaurant or something. Or than that, nothing really.. my shirt would hide it. My 3 kids nursed until about 18 months but I'd say after about 15 months it was mostly comfort and naps/bedtime.

• 2 weeks later...

I would ask the cruiseline what their policy is about breastfeeding in public. A lot of companies that large may have something in the books, like breastfeeding in public areas is okay, etc. That way if a person comes to you asking you to leave the area, and you know the company policy, you have something to back you up.

Target has cheap-o cover-ups for nursing for about $15 or so. Basically just fabric that goes over your head. I doubt a 15 month old would voluntarily keep one on, though. My 7 month old rarely leaves mine alone and it's more of a fight to keep it on than just turn to a corner.

We're traveling in May too. We should all get together on the same cruise! :p

I am so glad I clicked on this post, my daughter is still breast feeding her 2yr.old mostly a comfort thing and when he is sleepy, but she has kind of been feeling like she has done something wrong since she hasn't weaned him yet. I will be sure to show her all of your posts so she won't feel like the lone ranger anymore. Congratulations to all of you for sticking with it, I know it isn't easy.

I think if you have to ask about it is because you feel someone might not feel confortable about seeing you NIP. I think you may ask yourselves what you feel about little things that annoy you in other people's habits/behaviours and that aren't really against the law but rather a moral thing.

Eg: the other day I was at the beach and a young couple was a bit too close to our towels. It already upsets me that other people are too close to me at the beach. But then by the time other people started to leave the beach (around 6 pm) they started to make out. They were too close to me and I was with a 4 yo. They saw nothing wrong with that but I ended up moving to another spot. Is it against the law? Is it wrong? Is it bad for someone's health? Not really, it's just a moral thing - some people find it right, some don't.

So, I feel that in these cases, and when we are aware that our behaviour might bother other people (I could give a lot of examples, like visiting a mosque in shorts or cutting fingernails in public buses), than perhaps it's better to avoyd it. I'm not saying DON'T DO IT, only to avoyd doing it and rather going somewhere private where everyone is cool and quiet.

I think if you have to ask about it is because you feel someone might not feel confortable about seeing you NIP. I think you may ask yourselves what you feel about little things that annoy you in other people's habits/behaviours and that aren't really against the law but rather a moral thing.

Eg: the other day I was at the beach and a young couple was a bit too close to our towels. It already upsets me that other people are too close to me at the beach. But then by the time other people started to leave the beach (around 6 pm) they started to make out. They were too close to me and I was with a 4 yo. They saw nothing wrong with that but I ended up moving to another spot. Is it against the law? Is it wrong? Is it bad for someone's health? Not really, it's just a moral thing - some people find it right, some don't.

So, I feel that in these cases, and when we are aware that our behaviour might bother other people (I could give a lot of examples, like visiting a mosque in shorts or cutting fingernails in public buses), than perhaps it's better to avoyd it. I'm not saying DON'T DO IT, only to avoyd doing it and rather going somewhere private where everyone is cool and quiet.

I agree here, but unlike making out :p, nursing is not usually something you can wait to get somewhere completely private for. ;) You're right, I am asking about it because I am afraid that someone else will not feel comfortable seeing me nurse my toddler. It does not mean that they are *right* to be uncomfortable, so I wanted to make sure that I was indeed within the law if someone has the nerve to say anything negative to me, or to suggest that I breastfeed in the restroom or something. (yuck!)

Thank you everyone for your replies! I think I will try and find places that aren't too packed with people and just go for it. That is also a good idea, to ask the company whether they have specific laws about it! I'll get on that. I'm not sure that my little one will tolerate having something over her head, but it is worth a try. I'm not one for conflict, especially about something this important. There is usually NO talking to someone who thinks that breastfeeding is wrong, or NIP is wrong. You cannot change their mind, so they will just keep ranting at you. :confused:

Archived