Barbados excursions....help please.

karjoe

Hi all, we are first time cruisers and would like some advice on what see and how to see it....we are only there for a day and need to be back on the ship before 16.00hrs. we really don't want to cooked up in a bus for the duration -open top would be good....scienic and maybe a beach..any suggestions...

Hi Karjoe,

My DH & I have been three times to Barbados and have booked with Cameron Reid. He's courteous, informative, knowledgeable. We recommend him highly. You can email him at camireid@yahoo.com. There is so much to see on Barbados--it's just wonderful. We especially loved the animal flower farm [i think that's what it's called]--not at all what it sounds like! Just a gorgeous area where the cliffs on both sides of the parking area have crashing waves. Bathsheba, on the other side of the island, is just beautiful, too. The drive there through the "Scotland" area is lovely. We enjoyed lunch at the Round House Restaurant, which overlooks Bathsheba, as well as at Crane Beach Hotel, which has a setting reminiscent of the Riviera. It's a magnificent resort, well worth seeing, with a gorgeous beach. There are several parish churches worth a look--St. James, which is in the posh resort area, and St. John's, which overlooks the Atlantic coast. We also enjoyed touring Sunbury Plantation. Cameron will be able to advise you, depending upon your personal preferences.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and your time in Barbados. :)

GG

..I'll just insert a few pictures ..in between your island tour?

There is so much to see on Barbados--it's just wonderful.

We especially loved the Animal Flower Cave --not at all what it sounds like!

Just a gorgeous area where the cliffs on both sides of the parking area have crashing waves.

NPoint-011.jpg

Bathsheba, on the other side of the island, is just beautiful, too.

Bathsheba-072.jpg

The drive there through the "Scotland" area is lovely.

We enjoyed lunch at the Round House Restaurant, which overlooks Bathsheba..

RoundHouse-90.jpg

as well as at Crane Beach Hotel, which has a setting reminiscent of the Riviera.

Crane-030.jpg

It's a magnificent resort, well worth seeing, with a gorgeous beach.

Crane-053.jpg

There are several parish churches worth a look--St. James, which is in the posh resort area, and St. John's

StJohns_Church.jpg

which overlooks the Atlantic coast.

We also enjoyed touring Sunbury Plantation.

===> Sorry no pictures of Sunbury...must remedy that!

How wonderful of you to illustrate my Barbados posting with photos! :) I never thought of doing that . . . hope it helps all CC members to see how absolutely gorgeous that island is! I have pictures of Sunbury, and if I can, I'll post them here later.

GG

• 3 weeks later...
Aplmac-

The pics you posted is that where Cameron Reed takes you???? Any beach time??

Hi RN7997,

Cameron Reid took us to all those places that Aplmac posted. He lives in Barbados. Cameron will take you wherever you want to go and the amount of beach time you have is up to you. All we did at Crane Beach was eat lunch, but if we'd wanted to do the beach there, too, he would have been glad to wait for us. It's just gorgeous!

Hope this helps. :cool:

GG

Do you mind telling me what you paid?? At this point we were planning on going to the Boatyard, but now Im unsure......... There are 7 of us. I am reading mixed things about the boatyard.....any comments on that???

At this point we were planning on going to the Boatyard, but now Im unsure.........

There are 7 of us. I'm reading mixed things about the boatyard...

..any comments on that???

Walk 30 yds. past Boatyard ..and discover the free access to the long Carlisle Bay beach!

Lobster_s_umbrellas.jpg

You can rent chairs and big umbrellas from Lobster Alive -right there

avoid the noise,too... and about 2 miles of curving beach is all yours!

Walk 200 yds this way or that and you can have a stretch of it all to yourself.

CBay-4.jpg

This shot was taken about half-mile further along from where I'm suggesting...near the Barbados Yacht Club.

Don't let any of my stuff stop you,however, from doing an island tour!

-you'll see tons more than just doing boring ole Carlisle Bay :D

CarlisleBay11a.jpg

Lobsters1.jpg

I emailed Cameron and I am still waiting for a response (since yesterday). If I was to go to Lobster Alive...is there anywhere to eat besides the Lobster place there??? I like seafood but some others do not and some are worried about the cost of lunch....ideas???

While on this topic if I do go to the Boatyard any idea what their food prices are like??

Walk 30 yds. past Boatyard ..and discover the free access to the long Carlisle Bay beach!

Lobster_s_umbrellas.jpg

You can rent chairs and big umbrellas from Lobster Alive -right there

avoid the noise,too... and about 2 miles of curving beach is all yours!

Walk 200 yds this way or that and you can have a stretch of it all to yourself.

CBay-4.jpg

This shot was taken about half-mile further along from where I'm suggesting...near the Barbados Yacht Club.

Don't let any of my stuff stop you,however, from doing an island tour!

-you'll see tons more than just doing boring ole Carlisle Bay :D

CarlisleBay11a.jpg

Lobsters1.jpg

Please tell me how/where you saw this...were you in the water looking down?? I am trying to plan what to do in Barbadoes...Harrisons Cave is CLOSED while we are there!! My son wants to see Turtles ...I dont want to get bit though!! LOL From what Ive read Rockley Beach (Near Turtle) beach..and they have a new boardwalk?? Yet Paynes,Paradise,Brighton,Brandon(all in a row)look good...can you walk on the beach to all at once...Is there rocks separating them?? WE want to SNORKEL...everywhere!! Sorry so long...first timer...ya know!!!

Would pay for camireid , can probably get a group from my roll call, does he just have a car...boat??

Kris

Please tell me how/where you saw this...were you in the water looking down??
Assuming you're referring to my shot of the lobsters..

yes I was looking straight down into the big salt-water tank full of Caribbean Spiny Lobsters

right there in the Lobster Alive restaurant, on the beach at Carlisle Bay.

The odd white streak you see is the reflection of an overhead fluorescent tube

When we toured with Cameron the three times we were in Barbados, he had a Camry that held four people. He may be able to accommodate a larger group in a different vehicle or know someone who could. He charged us $135 total for the day. You can't go wrong with Cameron. I agree that it's much better to spend your time seeing Barbados than just one beach, as there is so much to see.

Hope this helps.

GG

I would use Stephen Tyne again for his Ocean Thriller tour. You spend the day out on the water. YOu snorkel with the turtles and a ship wreck. He was a very nice fellow and had a cooler on board with drinks. He also made a great punch. When we finished our tour with him, he left on a cruise of his own.

Been to the boatyard.... was inexpensive to get to and was a happening place or you could just get out there a bit a have a quiet chaise in the sun or shade. The bay is great for waverunners. We went out way far into the rolling seas to add to the excitment.

Some of us are beach people and others are touring types. I prefer to enjoy the excellent water and sand and sun when there and other islands.

It's that choice thing again........... and there are plenty.

Happy cruising ( and /or touring

Me and my dd (age 14) were planing on going to the Boat yard for the trampoline and Iceberg climbing. I saw pictures of Crane Beach and it looks like it has nice wave which she really loves. Can you get there eaisly from the crusie port and any idea how much would it cost??

Me and my dd (age 14) were planing on going to the Boat yard for the trampoline and Iceberg climbing.

I saw pictures of Crane Beach and it looks like it has nice wave which she really loves.

Can you get there easily from the cruise port and any idea how much would it cost??

Crane is a long way out, right over the other side of the island

- not easy to get to other than by hiring a taxi to get you there.

Bearing your 14-year-old dau. in mind

your best bet is still Boatyard/Carlisle Bay as per your plan

- or Accra/Rockley just a bit further out

which often has waves a lot more playable/surf-able than Crane's bashing beach-break

We were in Barbados in November and used Glory Tours. They offer several different tours and I always received a prompt reply when I emailed a question. Just an FYI, they require payment in advance but will refund if the ship does not dock for any reason. We were quite satisfied with our tour and would definitely use them again. I think the website was glorytours.org.

When we toured with Cameron the three times we were in Barbados, he had a Camry that held four people. He may be able to accommodate a larger group in a different vehicle or know someone who could. He charged us $135 total for the day. You can't go wrong with Cameron. I agree that it's much better to spend your time seeing Barbados than just one beach, as there is so much to see.

Hope this helps.

GG

I just booked Cameron for our tour on the island. Thanks for the tip!!!

Archived