Sea Sickness should I bring Sea Bands??

A lot depends on you...do you get motion sickness easily, or never? I get seasick just driving to a boat! On my first cruise, I considered the seabands, but when I tried them at home, the constant pressure on my wrists drove me crazy. My doctor recommended that I use the Patch, and she was so right. I put the Patch on the morning we got on the ship, and I have never felt the least bit nauseous. We have been on some rough seas (when even the captain complains, you know it is rough), but never felt any illness from the motion. Be sure you follow the directions on the package, don't try stretch the amount of time you wear one before changing to a new one (usually every 3 days).

The DH and I used the "patch" on our first European cruise and we both had allergic reactions to it. If you decide to go this route, be sure to test it out before you use it on your cruise. You can try ginger candy or ginger gum, we get the ginger gum at Rite Aid drugstors, and the ginger candy at health food stores. You can also get ginger pills at health food stores. This is an organic way to go. The sea bands work great also, the pressure on your wrist should not be tight, if it is the band is too small! I don't know the name of it, but there is also a sea sickness remedy that you inhale. I can get the name of it for you, if you are really interested.:D

Red - It would depend on if you get motion sickness easily. It never hurts to bring something along, just in case. You might want to try ginger pills, they really do work and no side effects from them! They are really cheap and you can pick them up at Walmart.

On Myth Busters they set up an experiment to test sea sickness remedies. They measured the test subjects in a device that essentially spun them in a chair at the same time requiring them to bob their heads back-and-forth and side-to-side to touch suspended tennis balls while they were also pinning. They were timed until they hurled. Then they were timed while using various seas sickness remedies.

Ginger capsules won hands down.

My DW can get car sick backing out of the driveway. She starts on Ginger capsules 3-4 days before the cruise and has never had a problem -even when the cruise ships were pulling in their stabilizers to save fuel and we really got to rolling.

BTW, sea bands place pressure on a nerve that calms stomach upset. Think accupressure. That nerve doesn't help with your inner ear and headache issues.

When I tried the patch, I began to see double..not a nice experience. The Dramamine and Bromine both made me sleepy, no matter when I took it. So I tried the Sea Bands and they worked well for me. On our 3 day cruise on the Sovereign, I didn't put the band on until I started feeling queasy and the band definitely helped. However, since I know I get seasick, I always bring Bromine along as well. I think I might try the ginger capsules this time too since it won't hurt.

When I tried the patch, I began to see double..not a nice experience. The Dramamine and Bromine both made me sleepy, no matter when I took it. So I tried the Sea Bands and they worked well for me. On our 3 day cruise on the Sovereign, I didn't put the band on until I started feeling queasy and the band definitely helped. However, since I know I get seasick, I always bring Bromine along as well. I think I might try the ginger capsules this time too since it won't hurt.

We have always had good luck with the patch, except maybe for the cotton mouth, but we always get glasses of lemonade and that always helps. My only instance of double vision with the patch was while deep sea fishing on our last cruise. I really, really didn't want to get sick so I put on an extra patch to go with the one I already had on for 2 days. Didn't get sick at all, but I also couldn't read the menus at dinner for the next 2 nights....lol We have sea bands too, but have never tried ginger. Maybe on the next one.

Don't get the patch unless you have serious issues with travel sickness. (ie: car sick, boat sick, etc.). It is an old pre-op drug with lots of side effects. Try the ginger - it has been proven to work. Not so with the bands.

Don't get the patch unless you have serious issues with travel sickness. (ie: car sick, boat sick, etc.). It is an old pre-op drug with lots of side effects. Try the ginger - it has been proven to work. Not so with the bands.

The bands work great for me.

For our first cruise we actually brought along the patches and meclazine tablets, yet needed nothing! Occasionally we'd feel the ship roll a bit and it didn't bother us. At first my husband couldn't sit facing out the window next to our table looking at the sea during dinner, but even got over that quickly.

Now after the cruise when back on land, I felt dizzy and like I was swaying for about 4 days as if I were still on the ship. Yet I never felt that way while actually on the ship or in the ports on land. Weird, huh?

Archived