Public Transit from SEATC to Seattle

J&KCruisers

Has anyone tried taking the metro bus from the SEATAC airport to downtown Seattle? We are thinking about having some fun and taking the Metro 174 bus into downtown which drops off a block from our hotel.

Our concern is having some luggage and trying to get on the bus.

Anyone try this or know anything about the public transit.

Has anyone tried taking the metro bus from the SEATAC airport to downtown Seattle? We are thinking about having some fun and taking the Metro 174 bus into downtown which drops off a block from our hotel.

Our concern is having some luggage and trying to get on the bus.

Anyone try this or know anything about the public transit.

Let me put it to you this way. The bus is fine (though I would take the 194 rather than the 174, since the 194 is an express bus), but you need to be aware that, if it is peak time and the bus is standing room only (which it ALWAYS is during peak commute hours), you may be denied boarding if you have much in the way of luggage. If you are traveling during off hours (peak time is about 5 am to 9:30 am and 3 pm to about 7 pm on weekdays) or on weekends, you will have a much better chance of getting on and getting a seat, as well.

I appreciate the response.

We will be flying in on Saturday at 1:00. Hopefully, this is off peak and we can get on the bus. Also, thanks for the advice on the 194. I used the online trip planner which gave the 174.

Again, thanks.

John

I appreciate the response.

We will be flying in on Saturday at 1:00. Hopefully, this is off peak and we can get on the bus. Also, thanks for the advice on the 194. I used the online trip planner which gave the 174.

Again, thanks.

John

Saturday at 1:00. It is, unfortunately, not off peak in terms of numbers of travelers on a summer cruise ship weekend. We turn around three ships each day, with an average of 3000 pax each inbound and 3000 pax each outbound (so 18,000 people in and out of town by one means of transporation or another), not to mention the usual summer tourists that didn't come in to cruise. The good news is that most of them will not be using Metro to get back and forth so you shouldn't have to stand all the way.

One question, though.....I trust you are coming in on Saturday and sailing on Sunday? Otherwise you should NOT, NOT, NOT consider taking the city bus. The only way you are likely to make your 2:00 pm mandatory on board if you are leaving the same day is a cruise line transfer, and that might be touch and go. Answered my own question...you're going on Star, so you WILL be leaving on Sunday. In that case, have fun with Metro, since the light rail won't be running yet when you are leaving.

Karen,

We will be arriving in Seattle for a day pre and staying 1 day post cruise. We have reservations at the Fairfield near SeaTac. We have been told it is pretty easy to get downtown from there. Is this a fact? Also, since the Mariners are home post cruise we were thinking of trying to get tickets. How likely are we to get tickets last minute? Is the stadium easy to get to? We won't have a car.

We are also staying at the Fairfield pre-cruise. When I called to make the reservation they told me about seattleexpress.com. They have great prices. They are fairly new, and I haven't found any information about them on CC, other than the fact that they are new. Worth checking out.

Thanks for the info, looked them up and the $$ seems very reasonable and makes staying at the airport a better deal for us, especially since we have to be there for our flight at 5:00am!!!!

Archived