Hard-sided cooler from steward??

LUPY48

While the steward may elect to keep your cooler filled with ice' date=' don't expect them to abet the illegality of smuggling booze onboard. They follow the rules or lose their jobs.

If you're going to ignore the ships policy, you'll need to do that unabetted by help from the staff.[/quote']

I don't believe the OP said anything about smuggling booze. He may just want to keep his bucket of beer purchased on the ship cold. ;)

You are' date=' of course, 100% correct as usual.

I am among the clueless. After 64 Carnival Cruises and 250 overall, I am, indeed a cruising virgin.

I've never, ever seen booze confiscated from a cabin on a ship, never seen a cabin steward put in a bad position by people from whom he gets a tip. Never seen a Captain's inspection which resulted in confiscation of booze and drugs.

I've never experienced the boorish passengers who think no rule applies to them and they are able to do exactly what they want at all times. It is, afterall, their vacation....which they paid good money for....which allows them to disregard the rules they don't like.

I've spent months at a time on cruise ships....it was part of my job.... I've seen bad behavior, compromised employees put in a bad spot by selfish passengers. These passengers exploit those employees who have the most to lose. They'd never call the Purser's Desk and request a cooler for their smuggled booze, nor the CD, nor the bartenders or a bridge officer....all of whom would decline the request. So, they use the cabin steward who depends upon tips and who will try to accommodate to ensure their tips aren't removed by some disgruntled passenger with his nose out of joint.

There is no excuse for bringing your own booze aboard. While hundreds of excuses are put forth, the real reason is the passenger is too cheap to do what most do.....order from bon voyage or buy from the bars... They can't afford it or don't want to pay the freight.

You want a cooler? Bring your own. You're lucky the steward agrees to keep it iced for you.[/quote']

Just for the record, I don't take an iron - not since I found out it was against the rules and why. (I would have known better sooner if any steward had ever said a word.) I've never carried on enough alcohol to require more than an ice bucket to chill. I think asking your steward for a cooler might be a little over the top, but if he volunteers - why not? They do use hard sided coolers on carts to fill all the ice buckets when changing out the rooms on embarkation day so there are some in the pantry areas.

Misinformation is my pet peeve. There's a difference between saying that irons will be confiscated and saying that irons should be confiscated.

Nowhere have there been reports of cabins being searched for smuggled alcohol. I have no doubt that cabins have been searched, but he occupants must have committed some other serious infraction - something really illegal perhaps?

Archived